Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't think anyone has said you do. However, how can anyone say they like someone who does? How would you feel if a stranger did it to your dogs? You wouldn't so I don't understand why, just because he's on the box, people think he's fab when he bullies and intimidates dogs into submission?
Becky
No they just implied and insinuated it. I don't use dog trainers, behaviourists etc. so a stranger wouldn't get to do those things to my dogs. They people on the tv do however call him in, and they must have seen the program. Why would you assume it's because he's on the box that I think he's fab? Not that I recall saying he was. I said I like him and I do. Although I have taken the trouble to read all the books and watched the first 2 series on tv so have more of a basis for forming my point of view rather than a couple of snippets on tv as others claim to have seen.
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Calm and assertive was not invented by CM, it is a phrase he as "borrowed " to suit his image.

Ramble, you , I and probably most of us here, will have taken that ethos in our quest to have well trained dogs....

But the difference is, we dont buy into the the rest of his teachings.

One can achieve the above by NOT believing one is "pack leader" (pretending to be a dog) needs to be "dominant " and generally use force on our dogs.

Its funny how we can gain the love respect of our animals , by giving them exactly the same in return.

I wonder how some achieved "well mannered dogs" before the "man" ever got his TV series
This thread is about recall not Cesar Millan! You should be on the Dog Whisperer thread if you want to slag him off like this. I'm not trying to start an arguement just keep to the topic.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No they just implied and insinuated it. I don't use dog trainers, behaviourists etc. so a stranger wouldn't get to do those things to my dogs. They people on the tv do however call him in, and they must have seen the program. Why would you assume it's because he's on the box that I think he's fab? Not that I recall saying he was. I said I like him and I do. Although I have taken the trouble to read all the books and watched the first 2 series on tv so have more of a basis for forming my point of view rather than a couple of snippets on tv as others claim to have seen.
So you don't see him as abusing dogs then?
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by JuniorDaddy View Post
This thread is about recall not Cesar Millan! You should be on the Dog Whisperer thread if you want to slag him off like this. I'm not trying to start an arguement just keep to the topic.
The question was asked from people on both sides of the fence as to how they would train recall. As yet we have not had a response concerning recall from the CM side of things.
Becky
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
The question was asked from people on both sides of the fence as to how they would train recall. As yet we have not had a response concerning recall from the CM side of things.
Becky
Oh did I Imagine posting this or was it really there on page 4

FWIW I would fall into the CM camp, and don't really get why the way I would train recall in any dog would be any different to the way anyone else would train recall.
Never had a springer so can't totally relate to your problem. However I have had a fairly wide variety of dogs over the years.
Some of my dogs have been with me from pups and some are private rehomes. They've all more or less been trained in the same way with their training being adapted to their individual needs.
With pups they are let off lead from day one, we practice recall throughout the walks and make ourselves as interesting and as unpredictable as possible. Obviously by the time they are allowed out they already know several commands. I have never used the command 'come' in my life. All my dogs recall to their name, and they recall fast. We have never limited the amount of time we are out, we never spend less than around 2 hours out and about even with pups, however the pups are not expected to keep going all that time we have lots of training sessions and rest built into the walks for the pups. We make our walks as varied and as enjoyable as possible, we chop and change direction randomly, duck behind trees and bushes without a word to the dogs and the dogs have to find us. We chop and change pace, suddenly breaking into a run, then dawdling, running and jumping logs and splashing in streams etc. etc. We usually walk as a couple so it's easy for one of us to disappear while the other keeps walking with the dogs, until they sense were missing and then told to 'go find', they are damn quick at finding us. They then learn to keep an eye on us rather than us constantly watching them and recalling them. Initially we reward with treats and praise, the treats are then fazed out until their only reward is finding you and praise. The rehomes have been trained in exactly the same way as the pups with a bit more effort required but not much to be honest. I'm not offering you advice, I don't know your dog, the question was how would I train recall, I've never had a problem with recall with any dog i've had it's one of the first things they learn and is practised all the time on walks regularly throughout their lives. I hardly ever use a lead on walks so they are trained to be obedient, to do what they are told when they are told, to come when I call them, to sit and stay when told and to leave whatever I tell them to. All our training is done in everyday situations with whatever distractions there are about, we don't build up the level of distractions, they are what they are from day one. Even my rehomes have been off lead before the end of their first walk with us. It's always worked for us, dunno what the blinkin eck it's got to do with CM though as he doesn't give pointers on recall training other than saying your dog should focus on you as the leader.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't see that anything you do has anything to do with dominance nor indeed in any way falls within CM's way of thinking and you train in exactly the same way I do. I have always let pups off lead from day one and totally agree with you 100% that training should be everyday in everyday situations as this is where training falls down. A dog (or puppy) can behave impeccably in a quiet hall but has no way to associate those actions when in a different situation such as in the street or out in the woods etc.
There is no indication with what you have written that implies any form of force to get your dogs to behave in the manner you state.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by JuniorDaddy
Funny, I am sure CM is in the heading on this thread... and as you brought CM and recall into the thread, then my post is relervent.

You where the one asking if there was an episode on recall and wishing he could help you with recall.

My answer was , he as done one, achieving it with the same ethos as everything else he does, so as you follow that ethos , you should be able to achieve recall
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't see that anything you do has anything to do with dominance nor indeed in any way falls within CM's way of thinking and you train in exactly the same way I do. I have always let pups off lead from day one and totally agree with you 100% that training should be everyday in everyday situations as this is where training falls down. A dog (or puppy) can behave impeccably in a quiet hall but has no way to associate those actions when in a different situation such as in the street or out in the woods etc.
There is no indication with what you have written that implies any form of force to get your dogs to behave in the manner you state.
Becky
Is that not exactly what I said on page 4, I don't get why anyone would think I would train recall any differently from them. I have also said many times elsewhere on the forum I don't do dominance not the way you lot interpret dominance anyway. Dominance for me and he says it repeatedly in the books equals leadership. I really wish people would read the books before slating him, surely they are available in libraries by now. I don't expect reading the book to change how anyone trains there dog if they already achieve good results but it might just give them a wider angle on CM himself.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't see it as leadership either, you are simply training a dog, ensuring that it understands the rules.
However, you didn't answer my question as to whether you think the methods CM uses and are shown on his programmes are abusive or not?
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Is that not exactly what I said on page 4, I don't get why anyone would think I would train recall any differently from them. I have also said many times elsewhere on the forum I don't do dominance not the way you lot interpret dominance anyway. Dominance for me and he says it repeatedly in the books equals leadership. I really wish people would read the books before slating him, surely they are available in libraries by now. I don't expect reading the book to change how anyone trains there dog if they already achieve good results but it might just give them a wider angle on CM himself.
Read them.
Still think the same.
Page 18 of 25 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »