Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ok well why ask the question and then use it as an excuse to just further the anti mobs point of view? I gave you my answer early on how I train my dogs and the brilliant results I have achieved with all of them. Yes I expect them to do as they're told, shock horror. What's the point of training otherwise. Oh my poor poor dogs learning to respond to commands instantly, how sad they must be. Oh and because I choose to run/ jog and jump around with my dogs rather than waddle around is just another form of abuse. Obviously I can't possibly allow them to have fun can I, those poor abused creatures clearly never get the time to sniff and chase and amble about do they. Why do you seem to find it so difficult to accept some of us who like him actually get great rusults and yet we may use methods that differ from your own. I don't feel the need to tell you the way you choose to live with and train your dogs is wrong so what exactly makes you feel you should take the mickey out the way I am with mine. As for being a tv evangelist, I haven't seen the program in years, I'm too busy out abusing my dogs for hours on end. Not that the dogs see it that way but whatever I say you all know best as per usual. Oh and for the record I didn't offer advice I simply said what I do. I really should know better than to entertain you lot by now though shouldn't I?
I do hope the 'waddle' wasn't aimed at me (G)!

Strangely I was trying to lighten up the proceedings. However you don't seem to want to be lightened----whatever.

rune
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
What some of us find unbelievable is that some of you think that kicking, jabbing, pining down, smacking, hitting, the use of shock collars, prong collars, pain causing collars or indeed any method that inflicts pain and fear on a dog is an acceptable method of training.
That I find totally baffling.
Becky
Oh yes I do all of the above on a daily basis.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Can i just thank everyone who has participated in this thread for the interesting and civil debate, i posted it about a very specific issue, because too many of these threads end up in slanging matches, with a my method is better than yours.

nice to see folk thinking about it, i still think CM wouldn't be impressed with little Moll's behaviour, and i actually think its more a behavioural issue than a training issue, i just wish she could talk and tell me what happened to her before she joined my little pack..
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Ok well why ask the question and then use it as an excuse to just further the anti mobs point of view? I gave you my answer early on how I train my dogs and the brilliant results I have achieved with all of them. Yes I expect them to do as they're told, shock horror. What's the point of training otherwise. Oh my poor poor dogs learning to respond to commands instantly, how sad they must be. Oh and because I choose to run/ jog and jump around with my dogs rather than waddle around is just another form of abuse. Obviously I can't possibly allow them to have fun can I, those poor abused creatures clearly never get the time to sniff and chase and amble about do they. Why do you seem to find it so difficult to accept some of us who like him actually get great rusults and yet we may use methods that differ from your own. I don't feel the need to tell you the way you choose to live with and train your dogs is wrong so what exactly makes you feel you should take the mickey out the way I am with mine. As for being a tv evangelist, I haven't seen the program in years, I'm too busy out abusing my dogs for hours on end. Not that the dogs see it that way but whatever I say you all know best as per usual. Oh and for the record I didn't offer advice I simply said what I do. I really should know better than to entertain you lot by now though shouldn't I?
For the record..I have said before and don't mind saying again, I don't think for one minute you abuse your dogs Trouble, I think you have a lucky and happy pack for what it's worth.

I also don't think you pin your dogs to the ground and choke/hit them.

I also think that the way your train and treat your dogs probably hasn't changed since you read CM's books...I think you probably already fed them wel and were calm and assertive. Those theories are common sense and nothing new.
I wonder if you disagree with any of his more radical methods...as that is the issue here...not the basics of calm and assertive, it goes without saying those basics are good...it is when he branches into dominating and choking and using ecollars etc that people don't like it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by JuniorDaddy View Post
No offence taken!

I can assure you its not for want of trying! They do come back if I really lower my voice & shout, I would just like them to come back before this!

CM has taught me how to walk them so they don't pull, stop them barging at the door when someone comes, stop them barking out the window & generally be better mannered.
In response to everyone who has asked how CM would train recall, I already said I can't answer as I don't recall seeing an episode that deals with it.
Mmmmmm. I take it no one else has been able to help you achieve these things in your yrs of dog ownership.

Now, one wonders how those who dont follow CM methods achieve good recall, and general well mannered dogs!

I think the basis of any of his achievements is "pack leader" and "dominate" if you have that right ,(according to CM ) then all else will follow, so on that basis, if you follow his ethos, and have achieved the "pack leader" status in your pack, recall should be easy to achieve.

BTW! there was an episode on recall, with a Basset Hound I think, if I recall, he used all the methods... dominate, pack leadership, dog not allowed to go through door beofre owner, no pulling on the lead.. the kick/nudge.... and when the dog ran off, he walked up to it and did his alpha roll thingy.... all the usual me "boss man" stuff.

So with that in mind, it makes one wonder how you have failed in your recall, as you seem to have achieved everything else be following his methods/
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
For the record..I have said before and don't mind saying again, I don't think for one minute you abuse your dogs Trouble, I think you have a lucky and happy pack for what it's worth.

I also think that the way your train and treat your dogs probably hasn't changed since you read CM's books...I think you probably already fed them wel and were calm and assertive. Those theories are common sense and nothing new.
I wonder if you disagree with any of his more radical methods...as that is the issue here...not the basics of calm and assertive, it goes without saying those basics are good...it is when he branches into dominating and choking and using ecollars etc that people don't like it.
I don't have a problem with people not liking certain things he does, I do have a problem with people coming across all superior because they don't like him and trying to belittle others that do, just because they do. Clearly we only take on easy dogs, dogs that have no time to sniff the breeze because they are expected to respond to commands in an instant. Oh never mind we own dogs that half the population are fearful of and the reason they are trained to be so obedient and have perfect recall is that it's for the dogs own good and the safety of the general public.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Oh yes I do all of the above on a daily basis.
I don't think anyone has said you do. However, how can anyone say they like someone who does? How would you feel if a stranger did it to your dogs? You wouldn't so I don't understand why, just because he's on the box, people think he's fab when he bullies and intimidates dogs into submission?
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't have a problem with people not liking certain things he does, I do have a problem with people coming across all superior because they don't like him and trying to belittle others that do, just because they do. Clearly we only take on easy dogs, dogs that have no time to sniff the breeze because they are expected to respond to commands in an instant. Oh never mind we own dogs that half the population are fearful of and the reason they are trained to be so obedient and have perfect recall is that it's for the dogs own good and the safety of the general public.
I have never suggested anything of the sort on here and no one else has. If criticisms of CM and the specific things he does are taken personally by his supporters...I am sorry...but that isn't what the anti CMers are saying (well certainly not me) I have goen to great pains to say I don't think people's dogs are abused...but that I do not like some of the things he does. I will continue to say that. Some of his theories I think are seriously flawed and some of the things he does are wrong...doesn't mean I think you are abusing your dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

I also think that the way your train and treat your dogs probably hasn't changed since you read CM's books...I think you probably already fed them well and were calm and assertive. Those theories are common sense and nothing new.

Calm and assertive was not invented by CM, it is a phrase he as "borrowed " to suit his image.

Ramble, you , I and probably most of us here, will have taken that ethos in our quest to have well trained dogs....

But the difference is, we dont buy into the the rest of his teachings.

One can achieve the above by NOT believing one is "pack leader" (pretending to be a dog) needs to be "dominant " and generally use force on our dogs.

Its funny how we can gain the love respect of our animals , by giving them exactly the same in return.

I wonder how some achieved "well mannered dogs" before the "man" ever got his TV series
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Mmmmmm. I take it no one else has been able to help you achieve these things in your yrs of dog ownership.

Now, one wonders how those who dont follow CM methods achieve good recall, and general well mannered dogs!
I didn't & have never said that I don't think other methods work, just that so far none have worked for me.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think the basis of any of his achievements is "pack leader" and "dominate" if you have that right ,(according to CM ) then all else will follow, so on that basis, if you follow his ethos, and have achieved the "pack leader" status in your pack, recall should be easy to achieve. So with that in mind, it makes one wonder how you have failed in your recall, as you seem to have achieved everything else be following his methods/
But I'm not CM & I'm not perfect. I am obviously confident in certain methods to make them work but not so much in others hence why I would like to see such an episode to see if I could get this to work for me too.
Page 17 of 25 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »