Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Did you come back on Dogsey just to advertise the Dog needing a home? Nothing sinister in my question, just you havent posted on here in almost 12mths, till now.

Hope he gets the home he deserves.
Dawn.
The reason I havent posted in a long time is because I was getting fed up of all the arguing that goes on to do with my chosen breed
I came on here to post about Burr needing a new home because I thought this was a good site with people who care about dogs so a ideal place to hopefully find a new loving home for him

Burrfoot is not for sale, he is looking for a loving home and I would certainly not think of advertising him anywhere as a "free to good home"
I mentioned he was intact as its important to know, he is not for breeding as he is in effect a rescue dog and does have breed faults
I gladly took him back to rehome as I was his breeder and I would take back any of the pups I bred if needed
I would get him neutered, but right at the moment I dont have the spare cash after rescuing a load of crows that were shot and left with various injuries, I have the vet bill for them to pay first, plus various other things that have eaten my money lately
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
don't start !
Bev you have done what any responsible breeder would do, well done, he is a handsome boy and won't wait for long for his forever home I'm sure xx

`Don`t start` ??
This is now a rescue dog in need of a home. The only responsible thing to do is neuter before he goes elsewhere. If he were good enough to be bred from I hardly think he would be getting advertised as a re-home...

If he is not considered as a rescue/rehome then presumably he is `for sale` as an intact dog for stud potential, [ why else advertise him as intact as though it were a `selling point` ? ], and advertising of that sort is absolutely not allowed on the forum.

I can only conclude therefore that he is indeed a rescue type rehome, available for adoption, and therefore should be given the same respect for his future as all rescue dogs deserve for a future as a beloved - neutered - family pet.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw View Post
The reason I havent posted in a long time is because I was getting fed up of all the arguing that goes on to do with my chosen breed
I came on here to post about Burr needing a new home because I thought this was a good site with people who care about dogs so a ideal place to hopefully find a new loving home for him

Burrfoot is not for sale, he is looking for a loving home and I would certainly not think of advertising him anywhere as a "free to good home"
I mentioned he was intact as its important to know, he is not for breeding as he is in effect a rescue dog and does have breed faults
I gladly took him back to rehome as I was his breeder and I would take back any of the pups I bred if needed
I would get him neutered, but right at the moment I dont have the spare cash after rescuing a load of crows that were shot and left with various injuries, I have the vet bill for them to pay first, plus various other things that have eaten my money lately
Perhaps rather than state his as being intact in a way which it can be taken as a positive, [ which is the way I think most of us have read it ], it might be an idea to edit the original post to say he is intact but a condition of adoption is that the new owner must neuter within a set time scale and provide proof that its been done, as is the way reputable rescues would word an adoption for dogs which have`nt been done prior to going to their new home, [ though usually its a case of when they are too young to have been done first ].

Its absolutely commendable that you have used funds to help injured birds, however, it has to be said that anyone who breeds should always have something in reserve in case any pups they have bred do come back and need treatment of any kind.
I know that may sound harsh given that you have clearly selflessly been helping birds in dire need however this dog which you bred is also in need and as the breeder it really is your responsibility to ensure he can`t be used for breeding by having him neutered before he goes anywhere, especially as you know he does have faults so should not be bred from in that respect let alone him being a rehome

It may be an idea to challenge the vet who is charging for the birds treatment by the way, as they are not actually allowed to charge for wild bird care nor other wild animals taken to them for help by the public, regardless of if that member of the public is doing the home/after care. [ Having taken several injured wild animals including birds to vets over the years and never being charged a penny because they have volunteered the info themselves that they can`t charge for that sort of help / treatment ].
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Maybe I worded things not the best way, but I wanted to try and add everything I could think of about him and being intact is quite important
I did point out that he has faults so hoped that would show he is not for breeding

I never knew that they are not allowed to charge for wild animal rescues, before they have often treated wild rescues that I've taken in free, but this time they did charge, I thought it was perhaps because I insisted on taking the birds on, I knew if I handed them over to the SSPCA or just left them at the vet they would all have been put down
Quite a few of them will never be able to fly so I will be keeping them for life, I know alot of people wont agree with that because they will not lead a natural life, but crows do tame very well and I see it as not really different to say keeping a parrot, as long as they are well cared for and have lots of room and things to keep them active and occupied
I know its not suitable for all wild creatures, but crows can make very good pets
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw View Post
Maybe I worded things not the best way, but I wanted to try and add everything I could think of about him and being intact is quite important
I did point out that he has faults so hoped that would show he is not for breeding
DOnt worry,a quick edit can easily sort it out, then at least an adopter can never claim they did`nt know the score in advance that he is not to be rbed from and should be neutered

I never knew that they are not allowed to charge for wild animal rescues, before they have often treated wild rescues that I've taken in free, but this time they did charge, I thought it was perhaps because I insisted on taking the birds on, I knew if I handed them over to the SSPCA or just left them at the vet they would all have been put down
Quite a few of them will never be able to fly so I will be keeping them for life, I know alot of people wont agree with that because they will not lead a natural life, but crows do tame very well and I see it as not really different to say keeping a parrot, as long as they are well cared for and have lots of room and things to keep them active and occupied
I know its not suitable for all wild creatures, but crows can make very good pets
They still can`t charge, I`ve been in the same situation where I`ve taken in birds and very recently a wild rabbit. In every case I`ve insisted I do the after-care so that they did`nt end up just being destroyed.
Some birds made it, [ as you`ll know, many wild birds are very difficult to keep alive during treatment ], and those I was given back to take home to look after until they could be released, sadly the latest rabbit did`nt make it out, the vet tried his best bless him, he stayed on way after his shift ended and called me just before midnight of the last night to let me know bun had taken a turn for the worse and showed neurological damage beyond help and even then he wanted to make me aware before he put bun to rest. That one was only a few weeks ago.
And in not one case was I charged - they can`t, they are wild animals, not the financial responsibility of the general public, its in their oath that vets must try to help these animals and they are not supposed to make money out of people who care enough to get the animals to a vet for help.
Domestic species are a different matter if someone takes on responsibility for them, however the last time I took an injured cat to a vet and said I would look after that one til the owner was found that vet also said they could`nt charge me the bill, only that if the owner were found they would expect payment from them.
In the cats case, the owner was indeed found and didn`t hesitate to rush to the vets to collect their cat and to pay the bill

I would definitely challenge it, don`t let them take advantage of you for caring enough to get help for the birds, and perhaps remind them that its a good way to make people ignore suffering if they are scared they will get a bill for being a good samaritan when no bill should be involved
As vets, the last thing they should want is to cause suffering because they care more about money than what is supposed to be their vocation, and would`nt it be a shame if you had to get on to the local newspaper to ask for donations as the vet practice is demanding money for the care of some wild birds in need of help because of being cruelly shot...
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2008, 06:50 AM
hope Burr finds his new family soon, he is a lovely lad, someone will love him.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
well hopefully weve found the perfect home for burr,this person will be intouch with bev later today.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw
I would get him neutered, but right at the moment I don't have the spare cash
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Don't worry,a quick edit can easily sort it out, then at least an adopter can never claim they didn't know the score in advance that he is not to be bred from and should be neutered
Hi PJ perhaps you could try contacting the Northern Inuit Society to see if they can help you with the cost of neutering this dog. I was told they have a breed rescue and I know some rescues neuter before re homing.

PJ It may seem people have been a bit harsh in their replies, but your advertisement did read like a for sale or an advertisement for a stud dog. When an unwanted dog is looking for a home I don't think it matters if the dog 'does have a gay tail and his ears are on the big side but mostly seem up' does it, he just wants someone to love him regardless of what he looks like . .
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by juliekelham View Post
well hopefully weve found the perfect home for burr,this person will be intouch with bev later today.
that is good news, I am sure he will be someones much loved pet.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 07:48 AM
I would keep him until I could afford to nueter then rehome him, all breeders I know have done this with their dogs..even when they have been a lot older

As we have previously seen NI dogs renamed and bred from neutering is the responsible thing to do, given he is a rescue/rehome and has faults
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >