View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Back from vet. Wow the urine is bad. Vet was gobsmacked at the colour and smell took it to be tested but so much blood the dipstick couldn't read it.
So on ab's incase infection which all hoping it is.
She gave him a thorough examination had a good look at his penis was happy with that. Decided to check his prostate which she doubts it is a problem as he is castrated.
She also said his anal glands were full which I suppose isn't surprising as he has been passing liquid for the last 21/2 days. so they are clear now.
She couldn't quite get to his prostate needed longer fingers but said from what she could feel the edges she didn't think that is likely the problem so more than likely a really bad infection.
We have pro-kolin paste like you said griff to give till he firms up we have 2 big tubes and she said she is happy for us to keep one in the cupboard if needed in the future.
We go back next Friday early she will get someone with longer fingers to check his prostate if the infection doesn't seem to be clearing need to take a urine sample with us again.
If he deteriorates over the weekend or before Friday to go straight back.

He needs to lose a couple of kilos but we will sort that when he is sorted.
So glad I saw that wee this morning and we took him in.
It was chance I haven't been thinking of that it was his poo concerning us not his urine.

Thank goodness for insurance. £95 excess and the insurance will pay the £150 for his ab's and paste and maybe more if tests are felt needed. Claim already been sorted vets end and a claim form on it's way to me to fill in.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Hopefully the antibiotics will clear the infection quickly
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Fingers crossed griff then he won't have to go through the indignity of all that again.
He was so good temp taken, then that and his anal glands emptied not a pleasant morning for him and feeling under the weather.

Temp was normal so that was a good news and we think she said she is sending off the little bit of urine we collected to try to get an analysis.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Oh Lynn lets hope the Abs clear up the infection. Wonder what brought that on. Bless him, hope he soon picks up.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Thank you Moyra no idea what brought it on am wondering the same myself.
Maybe as we said before age ?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thank you Moyra no idea what brought it on am wondering the same myself.
Maybe as we said before age ?

Hello Lynn, you did well to spot that urine, has he been drinking from the river Was talking to an old and experienced dog owner yesterday who said he won't let his dog in the river as there are too many 'things' in the water.

That's just hearsay but it did occur to me after that Casey's pooh has been much better since we no longer go to the river (since I can't park the car nearby.)

As for Dillons age, well I reckon Casey is older, he has a serious heart condition, his arthritus is bad, and he has a fluctuating pulse, so Dillon has none of those and is younger, that should give you hope.

But I agree, when these big dogs get older it's a worry, I hope the A/b's cure what ever it is and he's back to his old self PDQ
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2018, 02:01 PM
My vet actually told me not to allow my dogs in the pools opposite his practice as so many dogs get ill
my exes dog aero was peeing pure blood,we had the emergency vet out and it was a severe kidney infection...2 days into his course of tablets he was fantastic...so fingers crossed for Dillon
Got to go find Steve and take Molly's biscuits to him
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Hi Harvey poor Casey they do keep going though don't they ?

Dillon doesn't drink from the river but we have a job stopping him drinking from puddles and the small lake at Brandon.
Possibly that's the cause but he has always done it so why this time it has affected him no idea.
Will have to make sure he no longer has the opportunity to drink from puddles or the lake.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Will have to make sure he no longer has the opportunity to drink from puddles or the lake.

Yes, Casey the same with puddles. I used to think 'it's only rainwater' but of course there might be other things that get into it. We really have noticed an improvement in Casey's pooh recently and it intrigued me as to why. He's been on the salmon & potato granules for a long time so, although they seem to suit him, it's not that. The only other thing is the river and puddles
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Another thing to watch for is the drinking bowls left out for dogs. The cross contamination risk is enormous
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >