Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Is homemade food ok??

Hi, Ayla (4 months) had a bad case of diareoha and was seen by the vet who gave her panacure for 5 days and antibiotics for 6 days,we also had to feed her a diet of boiled chicken and rice. She is doing very well on the homemade food of chicken, rice and vegetables and seems very happy now, even before her sickness she still had a funny tummy with the dry dog food. Is it ok to continue to feed her on a homemade diet, will she need any other suplements??
Thank you Becs x
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 05:05 PM
It will be fine. Have you thought about feeding raw, as cooking the meat takes most of the goodness out of it in comparison to feeding it raw.

My girl thrives on raw feeding
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
It will be fine. Have you thought about feeding raw, as cooking the meat takes most of the goodness out of it in comparison to feeding it raw.

My girl thrives on raw feeding
I agree. Raw feeding is great for dogs with funny tums. And those without!
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2009, 06:56 PM
What type of raw meat can she have?? I was just worried about bacteria making her ill. Would it have to be free of bones? Sorry for all the questions but I've not had any experience of raw feeding

Thank you
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't personally. A diet of only chicken, rice and vegetables is not balanced. Growing puppies need calcium and a diet compromised only of those things will not provide that.

I would suggest putting her back on a high quality dry food. Or, you could research raw feeding. You must, must do your research if you go down the raw feeding route as there is the potential issue with over calcium supplementation when feeding a pup raw. With a larger breed like a Malamute, it is especially essential you get the correct calcium ratio right.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:00 PM
What type of raw meat can she have?? I was just worried about bacteria making her ill. Would it have to be free of bones? Sorry for all the questions but I've not had any experience of raw feeding
Can I ask what dry food you were feeding before she had stomach issues?
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Purina One,
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by becs721 View Post
Purina One,
If you want to stick to dry food, I would say go for one like James Wellbeloved, or Burns, or Arden Grange. They are all really decent dry foods. (Dry food is much easier than raw I have to admit, but my dog didn't agree with dry, so I had no choice)

With raw, you feed any raw meat. You feed chicken carcasses/wings/necks etc all with bones as bones when they are raw crumble, and not splinter like they do when they are cooked. If you are going to feed raw (which I would highly recommend through personal experience) please (as someone has said before) do your research fully beforehand. There are loads and loads and loads of places to find out about raw, and it gets into loads of detail, but it is easy once you get into the routine of it
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank you for all your advice, I think I will research feeding her raw, but in the mean time I will feed her burns
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Sounds like a sensible plan.