View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the replies all! I am glad we're all on the same level as most of what you've put is similar to what I had in mind

The petfinder sites looks good, although has a lot of sections - we'll probably be smaller and more focused to begin with, and only adding stuff if we think it's really needed. And of course will have a few things (ok maybe just one) that's unique to us - can't comment on that right now tho, sorry!

Keep your ideas coming! Thanks!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
. Location - Where the dog is located ie south east, ect
. Dog friendly/ pet friendly// child friendly
. Price
. Spade/newted and if the rescue is willing to pay for it
. A ratting of the rescue were possible or references /revies
. Size of the do such as small/mediam//large/giant
krisE
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 07:28 PM
I love dogsblog too, and if you go to 'by criteria' you can search by area!
I think the only thing missing is the ability to 'deselect' certain breeds.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Ah right thanks Claire.

Wonder how many actually go that far - I guess the first two would be a given, but 3? (Could cost them a lot?)
I think No.3 request is going a bit too far. Rescues are stretched to the limit for resources as it is without offering expensive behavioural training or advice. Perhaps just them being able to put you on to someone who could help would do in that respect?
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2016, 10:26 PM
I think it is really unique when rescues add a video of the dog interacting with people, other dogs, or even cats. As a pet owner of dogs and cats, it is really important for me that they are able to get along with other animals. It may take some time but it will hopefully be worth it in the end!
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2016, 10:18 AM
The most irritating thing I find is when rescue post on [a social network] etc. but never say exactly where they are. People can't be expected to remember where in the UK all the rescues are based and you can waste a lot of time trying to find out if a dog is near enough to meet.
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2016, 04:15 AM
I volunteer at a shelter and have followed many other shelters in the state where I live and I can see which ones I like the best because of this.

Good quality photos that show both the dogs personality, shape, size, ect. The best photos are taken outside, off the leash.

Energy level. VERY important. Is the dog a lap-dog or a jogger/agility dog?

Age and health issues.

If it is fully vetted, including microchipped.

Cost

Information on the dogs history, personality, if it is good on a leash, if it is good around other dogs, if it is good with cats, if it is good with children, if it is good with strangers, if it seems good off the leash (not always tested), how it does with grooming, whether it has nipping issues, if it chews up toys or blankets, ect

Whether there are specific things the rescue asks of their owners. If they are to be indoor only, if they need an in-home check-up before adoption, ect.

Honesty; where they get their animals, how long they keep them, if it was a stray or an owner-surrender, behavior issues it has, whether or not they are a no-kill shelter.

I certainly agree with the easy to use information. I also like that they be up-to-date and post good information and pictures that are easily accessible of all their adoptable dogs and post events, ways to get there and ways to contact them.
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Since some new rescue owners are new to the pet worlds, it may be helpful to include links to places where they can purchase pet supplies.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3