Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello Chris and welcome to Dogsey...
So sorry to hear about Sampson .

I think you did absolutely the right thing making the decision you made when you did .

Many of us here have had to make the same sad decision, some of us on a number of occasions. I had my companion of 16 years Amy put to sleep in July and I didn't hesitate for a moment in making my decision .

I was aware that her time with me was coming to an end and had I tried to prolong her life it would not have been in her best interests because she was in pain , I would have been doing so because I couldn't bear to lose her..

So I did the best thing I could to repay her for the happiness she had bought to my life, I held her in my arms while she went to sleep for the last time .

You have done the best you could for Sampson, have no regrets, he is at peace now...

Sleep well Sampson.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-12-2007, 12:03 PM
First of all let me welcome to Dogsey...

Chris the act to had to perform today by saying goodbye to Sampson with dignity is a most selfless act and one that takes real courage. Many of us on here have had to do exactly the same thing, and for as much as the pain in your heart feels unbearable right now believe me that in the coming weeks and months it will be replaced with those loving memories you had for each other.

Run free Samson
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

25-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Of course you did the right thing. It would have been cruel not to have done so. You were so brave. It is a heartbreaking decision to make but don't please regret it. Just remember all the happy times you spent together, all the lovely memories - remember them all with a smile and know that your beloved companion is running free at the Bridge. Samson will always be with you, in spirit.

Run free at the Bridge Samson. RIP

Thinking of you at this time. Time is a great healer.

Take care.

Rose
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi there

So sorry for your loss of Sampson

It's very hard and leaves you with terrible feelings of guilt, even though it was the right thing to do, Ive been there.

I'm sure you did the right thing, although it may not feel like it right now and time is a great healer.

Remember the good times and he is now in peace at Rainbow Bridge.

Sleep tight Sampson, run to the bridge xxxx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Letting Sampson go to ease his suffering was the last great act of love you could have done for him. It was the right and only thing to do. I'm so sorry for your loss and your sorrow.
Run free Sampson.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-12-2007, 11:48 PM
You really did the right thing mate, truly you did.

In 2001, my family were faced with a similar decision, and to this day I feel we made the wrong one.

Our family Boxer, named Winston, suddenly became very ill (not sure what he had...I can't remember). We rushed him to the emergency vet who advised he would need an operation that night if he had any chance of survival. He was 12 years old, but without any hesitation my Dad said yes.

The next morning, I went to see him and my heart sank. He was sat in a kennel at the vets with 2 plastic tubes sticking out of his stomach, and he looked so sad. I immediately took a week off work, and the vet kindly let me spend the night in the kennel with him (wild horses couldn't have dragged me away). The following day we took him home all tubed up, and he spent the next few days in bed.

A week later, and he started to bleed from one of the tubes. We rushed him back to the vet where he underwent emergency surgery for the second time. I spent another night in his kennel with him...I stayed awake all night just stroking him.

The next day I had to go to work, and my Dad took over at his bedside. That morning, my Dad took him outside for the toilet. When he had finished, he walked up to my Dad and collapsed in his arms. The vet rushed out, but it was too late...Winston had died of heart failure.

To this day, I regret with all my heart not having him put to sleep the first night we knew there was a major problem. Winston had a lovely life in a loving home. But no matter how much constant love we gave him that final week, we also put him through a hell of a lot of trouble, discomfort and pain.

I know it hurts so much mate, but you REALLY did the right thing, trust me you did.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 07:13 AM
I am so so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Sampson, but please do not feel guilty, you showed the ultimate act of love and kindness to him when you put your own feelings aside to let him go with dignity and without having to suffer.
It is the hardest thing for us, believe you me I know, we so badly want them with us, but we have to say goodbye and grieve and hurt so much to give them peace.
Remember the good times together not the end.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-12-2007, 08:52 AM
So sorry to hear about Sampson.
You did the right thing as everyone else has said.
Welcome to Dogsey although under such sad circumstances.
Fatelvis1971
New Member!
Male 

26-12-2007, 08:58 AM
To Everyone who has replied:

Thank you so much for all of your kind responses. I did not know about THE BRIDGE, but it has brought some peace to me. I have never been a religious person, but I can not think of a better place to spend eternity. To never be judged, and loved unconditionally. To get a big, cold wet nose pressed against you when your feeling down. That is what my heaven will be like.

Tonight, when I took out the garbage, I broke down in tears, as I have been doing every few hours. Taking the garbage out was something we did together every week. I never even thought about it till tonight, but it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

I am so glad that I stumbled across your community, and I can not thank you enough for taking me in and making me feel like I belong. I think there is something special about "dog people". They seem to judge less and just accept more. I guess that is an important lesson we all take away from our furry friends.

While I will probably never meet any of you, please always know that your kind words and heart felt stories has changed me for life. I will strive to be the person that you all seem to be.

I got a fortune cookie once, and I have carried it with me for the last 6 years. It reminds me of all of you:

"Always try to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are"

I think you all fit that. Sampson would have loved you all (especially if you scratched his butt)

Thank you.

Chris and Jennifer

PS. Not to seem greedy, but the comments are so comforting, so please, if you have any advice or words of wisdom, or just something to make me smile, I sure could use some more.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Not sure if you've seen The Rainbow Bridge but here it is;

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Always makes me cry!
Becky
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >