Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fatelvis1971
New Member!
Male 

25-12-2007, 07:59 AM

I'm new. Please read, I hurt so bad.

Hello,

Today I had to put my dog, Sampson to sleep. He has been my best friend for 14 years when he wondered into my life as a stray. He has taken this great journey with me through several states, many apartments and houses. He has been a loving and faithful friend. He never judged me, he only loved me.

2 days ago I took him to the vet because he was not feeling well. After several hours, we learned that his liver was covered with mutiple tumors. In a matter of hours, he was unable to walk. The vet thinks it was from bleeding from the liver.

I am torn apart. Did I do the right thing by putting him down? I always promised him that I would never let him hurt. I made him lots of promises for walks or treats that I failed to come through on, but on this promise, I made good.

I want to think that I did the right thing. He could not walk, and would have lost control of his bladder and bowels sooner or later. I could have cleaned it up though. I could have given him fluids for water. I could have kept him alive. But I promised him throughout our journey that I would never let him get to this point. It just happened so fast. 2 weeks ago we were playing in the yard, and today I laid on the floor with him and my wife and had him put down. It was very peaceful. He just closed his eyes, took a few breathes, and passed on.

I know that some of you have gone through this. Please, anything you could tell me would help. I just want to know that what I did was right. Was it what my best friend wanted? I couldn't do anything, not anything to bring him back, to make him better. But I could have had him a few more days. God, I hope I did the right thing. I hope that what I did for my friend is what he would have wanted.

Thanks for listening,

Chris
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm so sorry for you both.

It's an awful decision for you to have had to make, but reading your post I'm sure you did the right thing for Sampson. I had to make this call twice last year to my two late dogs and looking back it was the kindest thing I could do. In time and when your minds are clearer I am sure you will realise this. Putting him out of pain, discomfort and prolonged illness was the last act of kindness you could have given him.

Time is a great healer.

RIP Sampson. x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Hallo there, I'm so sorry to read of your sadness at this time.

In my opinion you did what was the right thing - far better to give this last kind and loving thing you can do for your dog sooner, rather than later

If I was a dog, I'd like an owner like you. There's a poem called "If it should be" and it says it all.

Sending kind and supportive thoughts to you,

Wys
xxx
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 08:32 AM
So sorry to hear about Sampson. He sounds like he was a wonderful companion to you.

You absolutely did the right thing for Sampson in letting him go in peace and with dignity, sparing him any further suffering. He was lucky to have such a caring owner.

In time this pain you feel now will subside and you will have only fond and happy memories of Sampson.

Run free Sampson xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 08:36 AM
It is the hardest thing that you can do, but is also the most loving thing you can do, our furkids ask so little from us yet give us so much. I feel it is my duty to see that they live life to the full & have a peaceful passing to The Bridge

I've had to make the decision several times & although the pain is so hard & never leaves me, I know that I have done the right thing. In the words of an old vet"Better a day too early than a day too late"

It hurts now, but that will lessen & the memories of your life together & the good times will come to the fore
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 08:55 AM
So sorry for your loss

Agree with everyone else, you did the right thing!

Run Free Sampson xxx
Fatelvis1971
New Member!
Male 

25-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I almost do not want to post this because I do not want to stop hearing from people. The comfort it is giving me is unbielivable. I am going to try and get my wife to read this to help her in her grief, though I do not know if her grief is the same as mine. It's just as much, but might be for different reasons

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I can not say thank you enough. I posted this just 2 hours ago and I have already had great responses. You guys took the time to try and make a complete stranger who you will never meet feel better.

Nobody can help everybody, but you guys helped someone tonight. I think thats pretty damn cool.

Thank you,

Chris
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 09:05 AM
You most definately did the right thing giving Sampson a peaceful end.
My thoughts are with you.
Sleep tight Sampson.
Becky
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Chris and wife,
You both did the best for Sampson letting him go with peace and dignity, you will hurt for a while, but try and remember the good times you had with him rather than the end. We have all been through this, some more than others, but remember you did this for Sampson not yourself, if you hadn't you would have felt guilty later as the illness progressed.
My thoughts are with you both.
Pam
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so hard to lose such a loved companion at any time but when you have been together so long it can seem unbearable. You absolutely did the right thing in letting Sampson go. Always better a tad too soon than a tad too late. Time does lessen the pain but the memories stay forever.
Sleep tight Sampson x
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »