View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:06 PM

To Crate or not !!! That is the question ?

Taken from another thread, it seems there are some with very strong views on this subject. Some have never experienced crating and some have had years of experience with crating dogs, for various reasons.

What are your views on crating ???

I'll start.

My personal view is that my dog's crates are their beds. They go to them freely, when they please, for peace, a rest, a chew, whatever, it is their place, no-one elses. Whe I go out, or at night, I crate them. Why, because I feel that when they are crated, I know they are safe and cannot get into mischief. God forbid anyone broke into my home, my dogs won't accidentaly be let out. It also helped with toilet training in the early days, and some training, using the crate for time out.

Now, as my dogs are passed those things, their crates are their own little pieces of space, that is private to them. (my bitch is in her crate as we speak, on her back, upside down, fast asleep )
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Thats pretty much my view too although once fully trained my crates get taken down.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a large crate that I used when my dogs were pups. Have to say though it didn't get used an awful lot and is now packed up in my spare room. I now don't feel the need to use it at all.

When I get another pup in the future I doubt I would use a crate. I have nothing against them (if used correctly) but I just don't feel the need to use one.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Thats pretty much my view too although once fully trained my crates get taken down.
I should have added, that I have several other dog beds, bought over time for them, with the intention of removing the crates as they do take up room, but my dogs would have none of it, and pined for their crates so they stay up and are really just used as beds now
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I've only ever crated one of my dogs except in the car. Not that I disaprove I just never saw the need until I had Kayos. He was as good as gold during the day but at night he chewed things, mainly wires. It was bad enough that he twice ate through the tv cable but at least that was off but the morning I came down to find he had chewed through the live fridge cable I decided if I didn't want a dead dog I'd have to do something so he was crated at night only, must say I had no trouble introducing him to it, much more weaning him away from it when he'd stopped chewing & teething & was past being a puppy.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:28 PM
We crated Max when he was small. It was his den/bed and we had no trouble getting him in it.

We don't use it now, due to the way our kitchen is set out, but have taken it camping with us, and Max is happy to sleep in there.

I found it invaluable during house-training, and if we got another pup, would definitely use it again.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Fudge loves her crate. she goes in at night time with the door bolted. I have tried to leave it open but she gets upset and won`t settle. During the day she has the run of the kitchen with the crate door open. I leave a blanket out for her if she wants it but she is always snuggled up in her crate when I return.We have used the crate since she was tiny and it has been a lifesaver. It is her refuge and her bed. The place where she takes her treats and goes for peace and quiet. It is covered by a blanket and is her den.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Mine have all been crate trained and used them till at least a year old. They currently sleep in a gated utility room with thick doggy duvets on the floor, although Diesel is still crated as he is 24 weeks old and his crate is in the corner of the room. If I put them in the utility and don't shut Diesels crate he makes a right racket until I go and close the door . Syd gave up his crate reluctantly and would happily go back to it, but it seems to work better for me without all the crates up as they take up too much space. I think Syd values his peace and quite more than being with the others, but the others do seem happier to share especially Rio.
Crate training is also good preparation for if they ever need to stay at the vets, they get less stressed by being confined in a crate at the vets if they are used to it at home.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Crates are a great idea if they are used in positive training and for the reason they were intended and not open to abuse.
Absolute fan of them. I use them for a new pup when I'm out or at night as I know they are safe. No room can be 100% safe as there's always something to chew on and get stuck in their throats. Training to the crate is done so that the dog see's it as a good place to go. I continue to leave my large crate up as my dogs love curling up in it. I have covered it with a blanket on most sides and my bitch in particular uses it especially when there are thunderstorms or fireworks, it's her safe place to be. Crate training has also come in useful as it was somewhere my bitch could be when she was spayed and needed to be out of the way of my then boisterous young male. It was her sanctury. Again it was useful when my male was injured and needed to be bed rested so to speak for 8 weeks. Now you try telling a BC to rest. As he was happy in his cage. It was set up in the lounge and then in the bedroom and he was happy as larry in it. Also I cage him at shows which I personally prefer to a benching chain as he's protected by any dogs that lunge out. He jumps straight in and often just drifts off to sleep whether i'm there or not. As both of them had been trained to a cage when very young and associate it with good things and a safe place to go. It comes in useful if things crop up or when I go away.
What I am dead against is cages used for just putting the dog in for ease of the owner and it infuriates me they are put in as punishment. They were never made for this.
I do think the problem sometimes with people against them is getting beyond the idea of a dog in a cage. Done correctly it benefits the dog in so many ways
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
As long as the crating idea isn't used as a form of punishment, the dogs hate being in them or they are kept in there for long periods I don't have a problem with them.

I did get one to try to help contain my dog when he is in the post-ictal phase of his fits so that he didn't hurt himself. I've also used it for short periods for feeding raw bones etc. when it's raining outside or to keep him in a calm place when needed.

Only thing I don't get is why they have to be cages. Why not a nice wooden kennel or similar.

Perhaps down to manoeverability?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >