Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Thats why I said `those of` the general public who abhor it, not that `the majority` abhor it.
Many people have no idea that dogs are not born docked, or have no opinion either way of course.
It was all in the phrasing

Ah patch but im a bit dopey it would have been better worded, "those of the limited few" or "the small percentage that are aware of new laws or the like,

also can I just mention, 99% of tail damage in most breeds is done in the home, dogs were not really designed to live in houses with sharp edges on kithchen units, doors that slam in the wind and so on, only a small amount are injured in the field in comparison, Megans collie has a sore tail at the moment not from hearding sheep just from waggin in all the time and whacking in off all sorts,,,
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:30 PM
514,000 signatures. to the SCOTTISH parliament, then flung in the trash bin !
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Exactly Debs!

In Sweden etc, Boxers have been un-docked for a while now, and no-one bats an eyelid at the tails.
If it's a cosmetic thing, I fail to see how it can ruin a breed/a look etc.

I often get quite upset, seeing a docked Boxer wag, when I look at Max and see his lovely long swishy tail wagging like a helicopter rotor!

I don't think the KC could have done anything about it anyway, the ban was going to happen eventually/
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
All the dogs I've ever had (bar two) have their dew claws left on and I've never had a problem with any of them

The KC made it perfectly clear that they were in fact PRO docking. Now that the law is passed they have to conform with it.

Debs
so where do you exercise your dogs? on a flat pavement
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:40 PM
May i say i have three dogs all off docked breeds. I am for the banding of dogs, I dont like the idea of cutting but if i had the choice i would have banding done but now i dont have even that choice
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Not really, its anti-dockers [ of which I am proud to be one ], including medical experts stnding alongside those of the general public who abhor docking who have finally, forced the government to act on it
before the act went through, most the vets sat on the fence and said very little about it. now a press statement says 31% of them would not object to a return to docking.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:48 PM
514,000 signatures binned so much for the public being represented fairly.I reckon we need to go back to the scottish parliament with representatives from each and every docked breed instead of one section from the doggy world representing every one maybe then they will sit up and listen eh?
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Imagine all the dogs from other countries who have docked tails,imported dogs wont be allowed to be shown here neither and will they stop them from being imported to here too?That would be a shame as many a champ in this country has been bred from an imported dog
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:09 PM
so where do you exercise your dogs? on a flat pavement
ALL my dogs are exercised off lead in all sorts of areas - woodlands (with dense undergrowth), open fields, beaches, moors, everywhere you can think of apart from public parks really I've not known any dog personally who's ripped a dew claw either - heard about, yes.. known, no. I've had a couple of mine knock a toe up and also a couple who've wrenched a nail on their foot - maybe we should make sure all dogs have ALL claws removed - would that please you? That would fit your argument perfectly wouldn't it

Debs
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Imagine all the dogs from other countries who have docked tails,imported dogs wont be allowed to be shown here neither and will they stop them from being imported to here too?That would be a shame as many a champ in this country has been bred from an imported dog
It won't stop them being used at stud so we can carry on breeding many a champ from imports It will work exactly the same as importing a crop eared boxer or dobe, for example, they can't be shown here either but people still import and use them at stud.

Debs
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
when you enter a docked dog at a dog show, it's date of birth is printed in the show catalogue. if it was born after april 30th 2007, anyone can complain to the club secretary that you are showing an illegally docked dog (provided it was born in UK) and you will be disqualified. sort that one out, kennel club !!
You are incorrect on the bit I have highlighted in bold.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/979

"If your dog was docked on or after 6th April 2007 (28th March for shows held in Wales and irrespective of where it was docked) it will not, under the law, be permitted to be shown at any show in England or Wales where the public are admitted on payment of a fee."

So its not difficult to sort out. If obviously done after the legal date, [ easily clarrified by the dogs DOB which has to be given to Show at KC events ], it matters not where it was done.
Such Show`ers would have to be disqualified, [ if they were silly enough to waste their time and money trying to enter in the first place ], plus they would be committing a criminal offence by doing so.

They would also be open to prosecution as the legislation includes options for legal recourse against buyers/owners of illegally docked dogs, not just the breeders who cause it to be done [ doing it themselves having been illegal for many years already ].

So anyone trying to buy docked would be rather foolish as they can in law be held every bit as accountable as a breeder which should allay your belief that you would not `be able` to sell properly tailed pups.

If you do decide to leave Showing your chosen breed that is your choice of course. There will always be more than enough breeders who will carry on in the Show ring for the love of the breed and the whole dog, not the bit thrown in the bin, so you don`t need to worry on that score :smt001
Page 4 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »