View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 04:29 PM
the kennel club stated in january this year, quote : (the kennel club will not act as policemen for any act passed through parliament ) unquote.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
but its the goverment who have forced all of us into this possition,
Not really, its anti-dockers [ of which I am proud to be one ], including medical experts stnding alongside those of the general public who abhor docking who have finally, forced the government to act on it
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
the point i was making is that the kennel club is supporting the government.
They`re merely paying lipservice to it because they have to, not because they want to. They have been very vocal on their pro-docking views :smt078
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2007, 04:47 PM
exactly! freedom of choice has been taken away from docked breeds. I saw in the press last friday that the EEC are looking at other breeds , such as bulldogs (breathing difficulties), dachounds (too long in the body and legs too short) where will it all end? The docking ban is just the start, in my opinion.
err and legislating against some of the worst health defect breed standards is a problem because.....................

but i totally get your point about freedom of choice.
i, for one, would be grateful if Bulldogs could have the freedom of choice to breathe properly.

(goes and dons hard hat)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Not really, its anti-dockers [ of which I am proud to be one ], including medical experts stnding alongside those of the general public who abhor docking who have finally, forced the government to act on it

Sorry patch but for the first time I totaly disagree with this part of your post, you go out in the street and ask the first ten people you pass how they feel about the new law on docking and they look blank and say I have no idea what your talking about, even when you ask pet owners of boxers, rotts, and other docked breeds, who are not showing not on a forum about dogs, just have a nice pet, they still dont realise its happend, so my opinion is that 80%+ of the general public have no idea its even banned now, the first they will know is when there old dog dies and they are thinking about a new one, many will be in for a big surprise, Also the post was ment to highlight that its not the kennel club that have changed the law its the goverment
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:15 PM
exactly! freedom of choice has been taken away from docked breeds. I saw in the press last friday that the EEC are looking at other breeds , such as bulldogs (breathing difficulties), dachounds (too long in the body and legs too short) where will it all end? The docking ban is just the start, in my opinion.

Good :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Its long overdue for the dogs health in affected breeds to come before humans ideas of whats aesthetically pleasing or not !
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I am not nor ever will be a breeder. I do believe strongly however that all dogs should be given the best quality of life possible. If this means changing some of the breed standards then surely it is better for the dogs.I do believe that certain breeds could be improved upon for health benefits .( sorry for being slightly OT but others seemed to be widening the discussion here also.)
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
[/U][/B]

Sorry patch but for the first time I totaly disagree with this part of your post, you go out in the street and ask the first ten people you pass how they feel about the new law on docking and they look blank and say I have no idea what your talking about, even when you ask pet owners of boxers, rotts, and other docked breeds, who are not showing not on a forum about dogs, just have a nice pet, they still dont realise its happend, so my opinion is that 80%+ of the general public have no idea its even banned now, the first they will know is when there old dog dies and they are thinking about a new one, many will be in for a big surprise, Also the post was ment to highlight that its not the kennel club that have changed the law its the goverment

Thats why I said `those of` the general public who abhor it, not that `the majority` abhor it.
Many people have no idea that dogs are not born docked, or have no opinion either way of course.
It was all in the phrasing
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:26 PM
well said nelsons mum,how many people signed the petition which was presented in parliament again?
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 05:27 PM
when you enter a docked dog at a dog show, it's date of birth is printed in the show catalogue. if it was born after april 30th 2007, anyone can complain to the club secretary that you are showing an illegally docked dog (provided it was born in UK) and you will be disqualified. sort that one out, kennel club !!
Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »