Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:09 PM

tail docking

Due to the kennel club refusing to register newly docked puppies after 30th april , I will no longer show or participate in any dog show run by or affiliated to the kennel club. I've spoken to many breeders of traditionally docked breeds and the're all appalled at the kennel clubs decision. If every one who shows docked dogs took this stance i'm sure the kennel club would have to think again. I'm not suggesting that the kennel club stick their necks out on this issue , but they could have left ther rules as they were. If individuals wish to dock their own puppies thats their choice, and their risk of prosecution, not the kennel clubs. I can see it now! people phoning for puppies and asking if they are docked and when told they are not, (no thanks i don't want one) wil be the reply !!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't think that will be the response of hopeful new puppy owners. I breed cocker spaniels and haven't docked for more than 5 years, I've had MORE interest in pups because they keep their tails than if they were docked.

I know many show people, all agree that they would have liked the choice, but because they love their breed they won't be giving up, and once all dogs have tails it won't be a problem, it will be the norm.

I know of a breeder who had a litter in March, ready to leave at the start of this month and she had trouble finding homes for them because they WERE DOCKED
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:29 PM
but its the goverment who have forced all of us into this possition, the kennel club will stand to lose a lot of money due to this, there will be a drop in registrations, a drop in show entrys and so on, Its the goverment that made the law mabey it would be better going straight to them
I still feel the time to do anything about it has slipped by, its just a pity it was not well publisised prior to the laws being changed, would it not have been a good idea to approach dog food manufacturers prior to the change they may have put a small notice on the lables of foods. this at least would have put the dog owners who dont show in the picture, for every one show dog there are 8 pets or so of the same breed homed to pet homes,,,,, I feel so deflated by the whole issue now, it will not change my love for the breed, if I must in years to come have a rotty with a tail then so be it even though I still think people should have a choice, shona x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Where have the Kennel Club said they wont register docked puppies?
Becky
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Though I don't have a docked breed I agree with Shona that there should have been freedom of choice in this.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I can't find anything on the KC website that says it won't register docked puppies.

Not to say that they definitly will or won't, as it's not included in any of their Q&A's.

But how would the KC know if a dog was docked or not when you register it?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I can't find anything on the KC website that says it won't register docked puppies.

Not to say that they definitly will or won't, as it's not included in any of their Q&A's.

But how would the KC know if a dog was docked or not when you register it?
good point, never thought of this, but it would still be outed if entered in a show I guess
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:58 PM
But, if like Max (who isn't docked btw), you've got a dog that you're never going to show etc, who would know (except for your vet?)?

OK, so I'm playing devil's advocate here...
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Bans on tail docking have happened in many countries and it ISN'T the end of the world. I can understand people of working breeds (spaniels, HPR, etc) being upset that they can't show their working dogs but when it's a breed where tail docking is done purely for looks, well, it's not really worth getting upset about is it. I would imagine the same thing happened when the UK banned ear cropping all those years ago. To most people cropped ears would have been the norm but now no-one thinks twice about not seeing it. Tail docking will soon be viewed as the same, especially as more and more countries follow suit. It's happened so people will just have to either like it or lump it (and in your case it's the lumpy variety!). Of course it's entirely your choice but to blame the KC when it's the Government who brought the law in seems totally rediculous to me.

Debs
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Bans on tail docking have happened in many countries and it ISN'T the end of the world. I can understand people of working breeds (spaniels, HPR, etc) being upset that they can't show their working dogs but when it's a breed where tail docking is done purely for looks, well, it's not really worth getting upset about is it. ... Of course it's entirely your choice but to blame the KC when it's the Government who brought the law in seems totally rediculous to me.
Exactly Debs!

In Sweden etc, Boxers have been un-docked for a while now, and no-one bats an eyelid at the tails.
If it's a cosmetic thing, I fail to see how it can ruin a breed/a look etc.

I often get quite upset, seeing a docked Boxer wag, when I look at Max and see his lovely long swishy tail wagging like a helicopter rotor!

I don't think the KC could have done anything about it anyway, the ban was going to happen eventually/
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »