View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 02:29 PM
My sister owns a boxer he has a large shed and garden all to himself , in the morning time (7am) he howls the house down to go outside and play with his toys and my nephew before he goes to school , during the day he plays happily in the garden with his toys and chases the neighbours cat and prowls around like king of the manor , in the evening time after his last wlk my sis and b/i//L have to practically drag him indoors to bed . the only reason he does not stay out in his purpose bought shed is because there is a lot of badgers and foxes that roam the area at night . so sometimes maybe dogs prefer to be out doors than in
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Wasnt accusing you of anything just stating my opinion, sorry if it offended and certainly didnt mean to come across as a know it all and I dont really think there is any need to get that personal.

What I would do would probably not be within the law but I would be ringing the RSPCA on a regular basis, making sure of regular visits by them not a one off call. Many rescues would also take an interest in this case.
Then I apologise if I misread your comments, I wrongly assumed you were saying I would let someone abuse a dog and do nothing about it, my mistake and, as I said, I apologise for my words to you.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Sorry but 'a heart of gold' I think not. Im certain I could never be friends with anyone who abuses animals in this way or stand by and see it happen but maybe thats another debate - should we do anything if we see abuse?

On the subject, all mine come and go as they please but they all prefer to be inside, preferably on a sofa. IMO not letting dogs in the house seems pointless having a dog.

isint it the whole point of these descussion threads,peoples opinons,and thats just your opionion isnt it.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2007, 07:26 PM
My two are in the house all the time due to the fact my garden isn't suitable for a kennel. However if/when I have a suitable space I'd gladly give some of it to the dogs for a kennel and run. Much better for when I'm out I think.

As long as it's warm and dry and they are still given the interaction and exercise they need then I see no problem with a kennel. In-fact as some have said already it may well be what the dogs prefer. We tend to keep dogs in the house because it suits us rather than them.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Just caught this thread

Max lives inside with me, but during the summer he has the run of the house and the garden as the back door is left open. He is quite happy to be outside whatever the weather, many a time he will run outside and play in the rain despite me calling him back in but as for his sleeping etc he is indoors.

We did consider before bringing him home whether or not to keep him outside and looked into various different kennels etc. In the end we decided on keeping him indoors, one of the main reasons being that he is our only dog, so I thought he would be rather lonely with little human contact.

I have no problem with people keeping their dogs outside, it is a personal preference and as long as the dogs are well cared for, either way is acceptable. As long as the kennels are adequate with their shelter and warm enough in the winter, the dog is fed, played with regularly and given the love it needs then I have no hang ups
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:52 PM
My 2 are totally family pets and so live indoors with the family. If I had working dogs I'd have no problem with them living in an appropriate kennel.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think it's fair to keep dogs kenneled outside. I personally think they should be given the choice to be in or out, I'm a great lover of dog flaps
In my experience even dogs that have been kept outdoors most/all of their lives, when given the choice, choose to live and sleep indoors. Pets and working dogs.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I don't think it's fair to keep dogs kenneled outside. I personally think they should be given the choice to be in or out, I'm a great lover of dog flaps
In my experience even dogs that have been kept outdoors most/all of their lives, when given the choice, choose to live and sleep indoors. Pets and working dogs.

IMOwhen my dogs have had the choice i found they preferd to sleep outside and having to drag a heavy coated dog into the house ,one that preferd to sleep outside because he wanted to wasnt my idea of a peace full sleep,even owning boxers that prefer to be out,knowing there happy make me happy,when i worked in rescue we had lots of dogs that sleepout in the open runs rather than sleep in the kennel,dogs that was from house dog backgrounds,and some didnt but there are exceptions to every rule i suppose,i believe in keeping my dogs happy and healthy so whats wrong with thenm sleeping outside,wolves sleep outside albe it in a den its still outside .JMO
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:12 PM
If it's the dogs choice to sleep outside then in my opinion that's fine, as long as it has the choice to come indoors i.e. it's not kenneled. Like I said in my experience dogs tend to want to be indoors with their owners. I agree there's always exception to the rule, that's why I like dog flaps so much it gives the dog the choice.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi, i have 2 very different dogs.

Kai my japanese shiba inu, loves the inside. If the fire is on he curls up like a cat in front of it. I wouldn't dream of putting him outside in a kennel. I know he wouldn't like it.

My other dog is jess, she is a 7 month old newfoundland. And if the choice is hers she is outside, whatever the weather. Once inside, she looks for the coldest floor in the coolest area of the house. I would kennel her as i did my previous newfoundland as it suits them.

A friend of mine has 6 newfoundlands, all have kennels and all are in the acre's of ground and house all day. At night they go to sleep on there sofa's inside there own kennels. It is my idea of newfoundland heaven.

So i think it can depend on the type of dogs you have.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >