Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zulu&me
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Advice on where to begin...

Hello and happy new year

We have a beautiful blue male staffordshire bull terrier who is only 5 months at the present time but my partner is very interested in studding him out in the future.

He has an excellent pedigree, brilliant temperament and his parents were fully health tested. I have a few questions id like to ask as id like to fully research before my OH goes into this.

What health tests would we need to get before he could be studded?

He has a few well known dogs in his pedigree but how can I tell if his line is one that should be passed on?

What do I need to look for in a suitable bitch? The breeder we have brought Zulu from says he will help us stud zu and will provide a female for his first mating (as the breeder was originally going to keep Zu as a stud dog for himself)

Anymore information or advice would be greatly appreciated.
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Please don't their are many Staffordshire put to sleep every day as their are to many people breeding them and not enough homes. Please just get him neutered
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Isn't he an undesirable colour of which there are many in rescue?

I was at Manchester Dogs Home yesterday, I only looked in one block and over 30 Staffies looking for homes - most probably won't get homes ..... Reason enough not to breed more.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I'd be scared to breed when knowing there are so many staffies in this country needing new homes (please look at rehoming pages before considering further to breed him!). I'm sure your boy is gorgeous but the market is so full at the moment. You risk ending up with it being your puppies being rehomed or unsold .
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Have you shown your dog successfully ?

Do you have the room to take in any puppy(ies)that become unwanted at any time in their lives ?

A stud dog owner has joint responsibility for all the puppies they dog produces with the breeders of the puppies

Are you prepared for him to have a serious behaviourial change after being used ?

Do you know how to handle a stud dog during the mating ? It isn't just a case in putting the dog & bitch together & letting them get on with it