Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Sloping panel to heighten fence

I'm going to see a house tomorrow with a garden for Lana. I've been checking it out on google maps and the fence is not very high and if there was a cat on the other side I believe Lana would jump the fence to get it.

I've seen fences with inward sloping bits at the top so the dog can't jump over. Does anyone now if they can be purchased seperately and easily added to a fence or does the fence have to be built that way. I've been googling for sloping fence panels and stuff but can't find anything.

As it's rented accomodation I feel I would need something which I can easily add and then take off if I had to leave.

Any help would be much appreciated.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 01:46 PM
My stepdad just did a DIY version with bits of wood to make L brackets and chicken wire across the top. If you want something a bit more aesthetically pleasing, you could use trellis. I think most DIY stores sell L shaped brackets (or 45 degree ones).
Alternatively, you could get a length of deer fencing and posts, and fit this a couple of inches inside of the fencing, that way you're not modifying the existing fencing at all (so no worries about being charged for any screw holes or anything you make)
http://www.just-green.com/2236/Just-...r-Fencing.html
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 01:58 PM
i used farm fencing for my runns. it comes in a roll,im able to take it down and move it ,with ease.iv used it to, add to existing fences,for more hight,and the way i did it,was sloped inwards,you may consider for yourself,if it suits your needs...take it with you when you leave,i fenced 1 acre for 700.can dollars...perminant fence option was..7000 dollars/can!!!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I've seen the trellis but didn't realise about the 45 degree brackets so that's an option. I've bookmarked the deer fence site as that's another good option. Thanks very much for that information krlyr.

It will be better once I've had a good look around the back garden as well although the 'back' door is to the side of the house so I would have to stay outside with Lana as I wouldn't be able to just sit in the kitchen and watch her. I'll know more once I've seen it tomorrow and then spoken to the owner to find out what's allowed and what isn't. With the door not being to the back of the house it's not 100% ideal but there are very few properties with gardens to let in this area which are privately let and I can't get any through agencies as I do not 'work' so am not able to give payslips or have my employer as a referee as I am self employed.

I am really excited about this, personally I love where I live just now but it's not ideal for Lana so it's a case of moving or getting rid of Lana. As she's such a pain of a dog no one else wants her so looks like I'm stuck with her.

Thanks 3dognight I'll have a look at that as well. It all depends on the owner and what I can get away with.

This is great, things I hadn't thought of or known about and the more options I have the more chance I have of being able to do things. If I had to I would put a new fence in the front garden but it depends how long I can stay there whether it will be worth my while.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 02:22 PM
good luck. and i find that most would encourage a fence when it comes to a ....dog! hope it all works out
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 07:09 PM
The other option that is easily fixed up is the willow screening type stuff, that is at least 6 foot high.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks rolosmum the willow screening looks good. I've seen it in a garden before but hadn't thought of that but it looks like a good option too. Who knows maybe I could put that in the front garden. Been checking on google and bing and the back garden is huge. It'll take me hours to cut the grass. Lana better appreciate this

This has given me lots of options so I'll have a better idea when I see the place tomorrow whether it's suitable or not. I think it is and it's in a good area so I am really hopeful.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Nothing to add, but good luck. I hope it all goes well for you!
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi. We use screening on the left hand side of our garden to add height to the existing fence.

Fence as it was originally:

Fence with screening added:

We used the thick brushwood screening from (( Primrose Garden )) - gives us plenty of privacy too. I just added a new 'layer' of screening this year as the original screening was looking very tired - but it had been up for 3 years! It attaches with galvanised wire to the fence so it's very easy to remove.

We've now planted a hedge (just 3 weeks ago!) down that left hand side so hopefully by the time the screening is ready to replace again we'll have a hawthorn hedge there so it won't be necessary lol.

(And somewhat O/T - but wow how our garden has changed since those pics!)

ETA: As you may notice; we also used trellis at the back of the garden to extend that fence. But we concreted posts in for ours which is somewhat more permanent. You can get trellis that will just attach to the top though. I've actually seen it suggested on some dog rescue sites.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Hanlou, thanks for the link to Primrose Garden. Your garden looks good, thanks for showing the pictures so I could see the screening. My goodness I never realised there were so many types of fencing

I looked earlier on google satellite view, I hadn't realised until someone told me tonight that there was a satellite view. The garden is a wierd shape, long and thin, goes up the back off the house but then goes off to the side so one part is actually behind the house next door as well. Really wierdly done and if nothing has been changed in the last couple of years since the images were taken then it looks like hedges for the boundary. Luckily my son has said he would do the hedges and bushes for me Maybe I'll only need some chicken wire at the bottom but if the hedges are thick enough I might not need anything.

It's the house and garden on the righthand side. The garden at the front all belongs to the house as well.

Brierley thanks for the good luck wishes.

I almost have everything planned out now I'm going to fence from the side door so Lana can go out that door right round to the back garden and people can use the front door instead even if they do have to walk a bit further to it. I'll have to hope I get offered it. I think I'm in with a good chance. It's the only time I give my age is when I am applying for housing, and I look like such a nice person (not saying I am haha) but I look it so as long as Lana behaves herself tomorrow and is as good as she looks then things will hopefully go okay.

The garden looks to be a good size, I can just imagine us out there playing with the ball or having some agility equipment there, it would be brilliant. Ah well I will just have to wait and see, it might not be as good in real life as it looks on google.

And if I don't get ah well it's been nice dreaming and planning it all out