View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-11-2011, 01:49 AM
We had a Puli who lived to age 16. Very interesting dog but the herding instinct was so strong he was never a real happy dog without some sheep around.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 02:44 AM
I have to say Irish Wolfhound as well. I love everything about the dog, except the health problems and early loss of life. I couldn't love an animal that much only to lose it so early.

Also, probably German Shepherd. I really love these dogs, and I had one growing up, but their health and temperament have gone all to heck and it seems like it would really be a crap shoot as to what kind of dog I would end up with if I got a puppy.(keep in mind Im in the US) Finding a good breeder would be a formidable task to say the least. EVerytime I think about looking, I quickly become overwhelmed and give up.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Go on, you know you want a naughty little MinPin in your life..

My 'love but can't own' list basically consists of all the giant breeds. I've loved St Bernards since I was a kid (Anyone remember Beethoven?!) and I really love Newfies, Leons and a load of other 'giant' breeds but the short life span just isn't for me. I know our dogs can go at any time and nothing is for certain but I couldn't buy a dog knowing I wouldn't have them for long.
I met a Minni pin a while a go and OMG cute!!! They have super characters very merry like cockers but id worry a minni would be too small to play with a cocker, Millie is very clumsy she has the worsed hand eye co-ordination id worry she may hurt a smaller dog if living with one full time by accident. Though haveing said that Millie really like to play with smaller dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I met a Minni pin a while a go and OMG cute!!! They have super characters very merry like cockers but id worry a minni would be too small to play with a cocker, Millie is very clumsy she has the worsed hand eye co-ordination id worry she may hurt a smaller dog if living with one full time by accident. Though haveing said that Millie really like to play with smaller dogs.
There's a lady on here who has two min pins that live with a boxer and a Doberman
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
For me it has to be:

Alaskan Malamute:

I think they are magnificent and am always intrigued by the stunning one at a local park which I regularly see. However, I know experts on the breed warn never to let them off leash, and that's a dealbreaker for me.
why is that and are they any different from Siberian Huskies?

i know it is different in the UK but here Huskies are unfortunately (the heat) becoming popular. There is one always tied up and another that is free to and does roam the beach. Both seem stable dogs.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I have two that don't show the dirt. Much easier! My half white dog has been a terrible shock to my system!
I have a white dog and a brown dog and I actually prefer knowing the dog is dirty so that the apartment stays clean!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Not sure really. I always wanted GSDs from being as young as I can remember and they have fulfilled all my expectations

I do like the look of an athletic working type Doberman (esp with cropped ears - not that I condone the cropping itself iykwim) as well as the Malinois, but doubt I would ever own either breed, as the GSD ticks all the boxes for me
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Anatolian Shepherd. Central Asian Ovcharka (but uncropped). I love most of these primitive LGDs. But unless my circumstances changed and I could do them justice with the space and free running exercise they needed, no way could I take one on. I'm pretty confident I could handle one psychologically, though.

Bloodhound. Again, the exercise and I don't think I could cope with a hound.

I love Siberian Huskies, but having known a few I'd never have one as they are mental and shed like a dandelion clock. Same goes for Malamutes.

Sarloos and Czech wolfdogs look lovely, but again it's a mixture of the spitz and the LGD logistical problems with them.

Pekingese. Love their heart of a lion brain of a gnat personalities, but too many potential health problems and they can't help but pee on themselves due to their short little legs and abundant coat. Bless 'em!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
Anatolian Shepherd. Central Asian Ovcharka (but uncropped). I love most of these primitive LGDs. But unless my circumstances changed and I could do them justice with the space and free running exercise they needed, no way could I take one on. I'm pretty confident I could handle one psychologically, though.

Bloodhound. Again, the exercise and I don't think I could cope with a hound.

I love Siberian Huskies, but having known a few I'd never have one as they are mental and shed like a dandelion clock. Same goes for Malamutes.

Sarloos and Czech wolfdogs look lovely, but again it's a mixture of the spitz and the LGD logistical problems with them.

Pekingese. Love their heart of a lion brain of a gnat personalities, but too many potential health problems and they can't help but pee on themselves due to their short little legs and abundant coat. Bless 'em!
csv's do not have spitz in them!!! ...and whats 'lgd'?
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
csv's do not have spitz in them!!! ...and whats 'lgd'?
What I meant is that they have the same needs for a safe offlead area to run an an escape proof property as the sibes and malamutes I mentioned rather than them having any of that blood in them. And I can only imagine they shed pretty prodigiously being mostly GSD. I've been spoiled by my TM for that as he only sheds once a year for about a month. LGD = Livestock Guardian Dog.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >