Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Not sure getting another dog to keep her company is the best suggestion here you could just end up with two dog pacing and barking.....
I do agree with this - my neighbour did this and now they have two anxiety-ridden dogs barking the place in, instead of one! I've also had a dog that was anxious when I left him and it didn't make a jot of difference that there was another dog for company, his focus was that I was out of the house and to him that was all the cause of the anxiety.

I hope you manage to overcome these problems you are having with Lana and I do admire you commitment to trying to get her sorted. Best wishes and good luck xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 06:24 PM
What about a job where you work from home? There are some telephone jobs that you can do from home. Or data entry etc?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 06:39 PM
So sorry to read this How about posting a thread on here asking if anyone in your area could help? Or a card in a pet shop? Or even chat to the people in the park, perhaps one of them could help?
Heartbreaking position to be in. So sorry
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh no, and it seemed so promising yesterday.

Don't give up..........there is a solution to this somewhere, we just have to find it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
So sorry to read this How about posting a thread on here asking if anyone in your area could help? Or a card in a pet shop? Or even chat to the people in the park, perhaps one of them could help?
Now that may be an idea

EDIT; I know it would be easier if she could go with someone who doesn't have any dogs when you are at work but, I'm just wondering if it was someone you met up with etc for a while when walking if she gets used to dogs and gets her trust up quite quickly? (or not?) cos then at least it could widen your search for someone to dog-sit (possibly?)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have you tried this? maybe a retired older couple who are in all the time might be interested, especially if you paid them a small amount weekly? they would then get the company of a dog without the financial commitment.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Dobermann, my son works until 1am, he wouldn't take Lana anyway, he thinks I should get rid of her so no help there. My dad is too old to have her overnight, 85 years old, he doesn't see well and is always falling over her and he often rants and raves and even if he wasn't shouting at Lana she would think he was.

I'm too old to get a job in a pub and I don't know any that would allow a dog, also Lana would be a nightmare as she is reactive to some men. Fine when we are out and she's on the lead and I can avoid or treat her till they are past but she would be chasing people round the pub barking at them

I've never considered an anti bark collar before and although I'm looking at them I am really not sure, it's just a last ditch attempt. No one in this block could take her even at night time, one has a dog, one has a cat, one young couple often argue, one is out half the night, the other often stays over at girlfriends so no one suitable at all.

There are no local pet shops, all have closed down within the last year.

I work from home already, have done for the last 7 years but sales have gone down to almost nothing. Only data entry jobs I have seen advertised are the scam ones. I did work on the phones at home, was a phone sex operator for a while until they started taking on more and more girls so the call volumes went down meaning money went down. I don't think I could do that job from here, I'm sure the neighbours would hear the noise as most guys like you to be loud

She was so good for a while so I can't understand why she's started up again. Maybe I will start her on zylkene, she was on it last year for a couple of months and maybe it stayed in her sytem for a while and now it's gone. Jeez I'll need to work about 90 hours a week just to pay for dogsitters and tablets.

She's great with the dogsitters dog and she's fine with most other dogs as long as it's one at a time. If she's playing with one dog and another one she knows comes up she will go for it to chase it away.

The people in the park either work all day, have a dog and children or are old and have a dog and none would want Lana. If Lana wasn't my dog I wouldn't want her either

Just been speaking with the neighbour, he said once he was at work he thought his note was quite harsh but he had been annoyed this morning I said I couldn't blame him, who needs to be woken up by a dog barking and Lana has a horrendously loud bark, probably because she practices so much. We also spoke about her howling, she's worse than the wolves and I know from previously listening to recordings I made when out she is far worse than any of the dogs I hear in the police pound across the road.

I have some zylkene in the house still so will start her on them tomorrow. She's at the dogsitters just now and Kate will have her tomorrow night and overnight next week but she has another dog the following week who she knows Lana won't get on with so I'll have to have something resolved by end of next week although goodness knows what.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I am still thinking for you!

Are you sure about not posting a thread on Dogsey to see if there's anyone on here or anyone knows of anyone who could help care for her whilst you were out just as a temporary measure until you have a more permanent solution like working from home?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 09:46 PM
No further suggestions at present for you but I'm still racking my brains. I just wanted to let you know you deserve to get this sorted as nobody can say you haven't tried!! Hopefully you or one of your dogsey friends will suddenly have a brain waive.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Just a couple of desperate suggestions:

When you go out do you leave loudish music/tv on?
Have you tried leaving a recording of your voice talking playing to her?
Have you tried the 'dog laughter' cd or similar?
Does she respond to a body wrap/thundershirt?

My vet suggests rescue remedy which if it worked might be cheaper than your current meds..
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »