Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Rehoming Lana

This is somethng I never thought I would have to do or indeed would do but due to circumstances I must take a job.

As Lana cannot be left on her own for longer than 45mins to an hour and I will only get minimum wage there's no way I could pay for a dogwalker or anyone to take her during the time I'm working I feel I have no option but to rehome her.

After much soul searching I decided Dogs Trust would be a good way to do it until of course someone said to me that anyone could lie and say they were in all day, that lots of people do this and yet still leave a dog alone for hours while they work so now I don't know what to do.

Someone told me about a neighbour getting a dog, okay it wasn't from the Dogs Trust but the dog destroys things in the house and so is left for 8 hours each day out in the garden in all weather barking and howling it's head off. It has now been reported to the dog warden but I haven't heard what the outcome is.

I don't know what to do. I can't bear the thought she might go somewhere where she's left. She's not destructive but does bark and howl and paces about the place as she does not like to be on her own. I also can't bear the thought she could end up somewhere where she is abused.

I've thought every which way on how to keep her, but there's absolutely no way to do it. This has been going on for a long while but now I have no money, can barely afford food for me, although Lana still gets fed well can't afford to heat the house, can't afford my rent, I don't drive and so don't have a car I could live in.

How did others who have had to rehome their dogs done it so they are satisfied their dog gets a good home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:15 PM
How very sad. How about a smaller Rescue who you could liase with and have a more personal contact with? I do think you are right to go through a Rescue though.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Why can't she be left for longer than 45 mins? Have you tried leaving her with bones, or filled kongs or other toys that will help keep her mind occupied?

Have you thought about getting another dog... to keep her company?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Why can't she be left for longer than 45 mins? Have you tried leaving her with bones, or filled kongs or other toys that will help keep her mind occupied?

Have you thought about getting another dog... to keep her company?

Not sure getting another dog to keep her company is the best suggestion here you could just end up with two dog pacing and barking.....
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:34 PM
My question on leaving her for no longer than 45 minutes to an hour is how did you get her to that timescale and be okay I mena she stays 45 minutes to an hour okay then she can do more oyu just need to figure out how you got that and then work from there; maybe you need to reklook at what you need?

How old is she?
Have you had her since a pup and has this always been an issue or somehing that has come about recently or following an incident?
Is she normaly clingy?
Do you walk her before leaving her?
Have you tried tiring her out mentaly as well as physically.?
Whats she like at night?
Does she sleep alone in the kitchen somewhere? is she fine?
Do you leave a radio/tv on for her?
Is she cold?
Lots of questions I know?
a
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I think this thread http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=125856 covers a lot of what I've tried
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh no. I am so so sorry to be reading this, and remember well all the efforts that you went to when trying to sort Lana's problem out. The SA thread went on for ever didn't it, and neither of us really got anywhere.

I feel for you so much, and don't quite know what to suggest. You have obviously thought very long and hard about this and must be in a million pieces. The trouble with going through a rescue centre is that once you have signed Lana over, you will never know what happens to her and will always be wondering - just having to trust that she ends up in the right home.

Could you not try to rehome her privately? The other option of course is to try to find a job where you could take her with you, although I do realise that this would not be easy.

Oh heck. I don't know what to say
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 09:17 PM
What a sad situation
I agree that smaller rescues may be more willing to keep in touch with you about how things are going..
Private rehoming is one idea, but do be aware that people are just as able to lie about their situation.
Have you been in contact with the rescue you got her from initially?
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I would hate to be in your shoes so I cannot find any words to help.

I know I am a stranger but if you'd like somebody to talk to, I am here. Sometimes it is easier to offload your burdens onto somebody you never met.

I know whether path you take, it would be in Lana's best interest so do not worry too much and take it one day at a time. Put feelings out and rehome her privately if you can so that you can be kept updated more often.

If I could, I would have taken her in a heartbeat.

Good luck with it all.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 09:52 PM
You mentioned in your original post about her separation anxiety and that she was the only dog in the flats but it was lucky that the landlord had fallen in love with her. Is there any chance that the landlord would possibly take her on as at least you would be able to keep in touch with her progress. Does Lana have a special friend that she plays with? In which case could you explain to the owner your situation and see if there is anyway she could help out. For instance she walks Lana when you are working and you walk their dog at weekends? Usually dog owners are very nice people. I know that I am always being asked to walk/let out neighbours dogs if they are working/away. By the sounds of it you are a lovely caring person and that your main concern is Lana. I REALLY HOPE that it works out for you and Lana, whatever route you have to take. Good luck!!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »