Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I see Scotland has just changed the dog laws. So is the Banned list still in operation there?
I was sent details of this by a trainer, she mentioned that it was changing to "deed not breed". I asked if there was still a list of banned breeds and she was a bit unsure of it, I've yet to wade through it all so don't know.

HERE

Or PDF file
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I particulrly like this:

(3)For the purposes of this Act, a dog is out of control if—.
(a)it is not being kept under control effectively and consistently (by whatever means) by the proper person
(b)its behaviour gives rise to—.
(i)alarm, or.
(ii)apprehensiveness,.
on the part of any individual, and
(c)the individual's alarm or apprehensiveness is, in all the circumstances, reasonable

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by gooseygander View Post
My own opinion on dangerous dog's of any description centres around the question, why did the owner choose that particular breed? Why would anyone choose a dog whose reputation alone means you are generally ostracised by other dog owners. Part of the fun of dog ownership is meeting new people when out on a walk with your hound.

What fun is there to had when people cross the road when you appear, run the other way or pick up their dog and hurry past. I think every pet owner who cares for their animal must assume the worst if they see a dog with a certain reputation approaching, it only makes sense.
You'd be very surprised at the number of people who cross over the road when they see me coming with my plodding old Labrador and my Slovak with a face like a fluffy teddy. I would say on average more people cross over than directly walk past. You can't forget that a lot of people just don't like dogs regardless of what breed it is.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2011, 01:45 AM
I usually get all the sidewalk i need.pit/dogo.I do understand why,not much i can do.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 02:15 AM
My own opinion on dangerous dog's of any description centres around the question, why did the owner choose that particular breed? Why would anyone choose a dog whose reputation alone means you are generally ostracised by other dog owners. Part of the fun of dog ownership is meeting new people when out on a walk with your hound.

What fun is there to had when people cross the road when you appear, run the other way or pick up their dog and hurry past. I think every pet owner who cares for their animal must assume the worst if they see a dog with a certain reputation approaching, it only makes sense.

Find this all a bit odd TBH.

Define a dangerous dog, some of the worst dogs I know are not what you'd call dangerous breeds. They are usually the dogs that the owners are wafting around in the air, trying to get out of the way of the scary looking dog

Don't judge a dog by it's breed or looks or size, you may be pleasantly surprised I am used to people crossing the street, or picking up their dogs, or dragging their children out of the way, it used to bother me, now I see it as their problem NOT mine or my dogs.

I also don't care being "ostracised" by some dog owners, because if they are going to judge me and my dogs on looks, or breed, I really would have absolutely nothing in common with them anyway.

There are good and bad in every breed, and banning breeds does not work, you can see that in the UK, it hasn't worked.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 08:27 AM

I own two breeds that receive lots of bad reactions (NOT dangerous breeds - there's no such thing, there's dangerous DOGS of any breed). Why did I choose them? Well, I was lucky enough to be raised by a family who judge the dog for its behaviour, not its reputation, and grew up with lots of lovely GSDs. I would fall asleep on one of the bitches we had on a regular basis, constantly be in the garden playing with them, training them once I was old enough. I love the characteristics of GSDs as a whole as well as aesthetically liking the look of them. I'm a "big dog" person - a little dog would get under my feet, would struggle with my pace of walking, and just isn't "me". Lots of other large breeds may well have similar temperaments but the looks just don't do anything for me - Labradors may be lovely, Pointers, Retreivers, etc. but GSDs are "my" breed. Why should I have to make a compromise because other people hold a prejudice? There was a time not long ago where people wouldn't make friends with coloured people, or associate themselves with lesbian/gay people for fear of being judged for it, but I'd like to think we're a much more open, tolerant country. Why can't that lack of judgement apply to the breeds we choose?
I have lots of fun walking my dogs with likeminded people, I specifically meet up with other GSD owners and dog owners from forums like this who aren't small-minded and judgemental, so I think of my dogs as a good filter for weeding out the kind of people I'd like to associate with, if they judged my dogs simply because of their breeds then I doubt I'd want to get to know them anyway.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I own two breeds that receive lots of bad reactions (NOT dangerous breeds - there's no such thing, there's dangerous DOGS of any breed). Why did I choose them? Well, I was lucky enough to be raised by a family who judge the dog for its behaviour, not its reputation, and grew up with lots of lovely GSDs. I would fall asleep on one of the bitches we had on a regular basis, constantly be in the garden playing with them, training them once I was old enough. I love the characteristics of GSDs as a whole as well as aesthetically liking the look of them. I'm a "big dog" person - a little dog would get under my feet, would struggle with my pace of walking, and just isn't "me". Lots of other large breeds may well have similar temperaments but the looks just don't do anything for me - Labradors may be lovely, Pointers, Retreivers, etc. but GSDs are "my" breed. Why should I have to make a compromise because other people hold a prejudice? There was a time not long ago where people wouldn't make friends with coloured people, or associate themselves with lesbian/gay people for fear of being judged for it, but I'd like to think we're a much more open, tolerant country. Why can't that lack of judgement apply to the breeds we choose?
I have lots of fun walking my dogs with likeminded people, I specifically meet up with other GSD owners and dog owners from forums like this who aren't small-minded and judgemental, so I think of my dogs as a good filter for weeding out the kind of people I'd like to associate with, if they judged my dogs simply because of their breeds then I doubt I'd want to get to know them anyway.
I too grew up with GSDs, used to regaulrly sleep in the dog basket lol and many people down my road were first afraid...Mums pulling their kids away, turning in another direction etc it made it hard for me to make friends because people thought GSDs were "dangerous" After a girl in my class had a party, my mum brought over our dog and soon all the kids and parents were patting him, and the label of dangerous dog was forgotten

I remeber one couple who walked past us one day when I was about 6years old in the park when I was with my mum and dog, and said "Not only are they Asian looking, they also have a GSD, that is asking for trouble"
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:41 AM

very odd post imo.

i choose my breed because i like it,like everyone that chooses the breed they do.
re crossing the road...their decision,i dont care ,i quite like having the red see parting before me on London pavements..or a whole train carriage to myself...if people want to judge a perfectly well behaved dog s*d em..they aint peeps im gonna be bothered by.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think any breed should be banned, but I think some people should be banned from owning any dogs and it should be monitored more.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
very odd post imo.

i choose my breed because i like it,like everyone that chooses the breed they do.
re crossing the road...their decision,i dont care ,i quite like having the red see parting before me on London pavements..or a whole train carriage to myself...if people want to judge a perfectly well behaved dog s*d em..they aint peeps im gonna be bothered by.
What do people say when you have Tupac on a train ??lol
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >