Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
The KC frowns upon it, and it you use petplan insurance to send with the pups to there new home they wont let you transfer the ownership and activate the policy until the pup is 8 weeks old.
Also 6-8 weeks is the vital time for a developing puppy, it learns to play with it's brothers and sisters and learns boundrys of behaviour from its mum.
Agreed... no decent breeder would let puppies go before 7weeks at least!!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 09:18 PM
OH got Maisie (yorkshire terrier) at 6 weeks. Her Mum's milk had dried up.

She lived in a single dog household but spent a lot of time with Tess and came to live with Tess a few weeks later. Was out and about a lot as a youngster meeting lots of dogs.

She is a very confident little dog and has excellent canine communication skills. She has been out walking with a few of my clients dogs that bully little dogs and are reactive to other dogs. She puts them at their ease very quickly but won't take any bullying.

She susses all our boarders out quickly and knows how to behave with each individual dog.

However she does purr like a cat!! OH had two cats that she lived with at 6 weeks and they used to bring her in 'little presents'.

I personally feel six weeks in most cases is too young, but 7 weeks to an experienced home should be fine I would have thought.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
..i still think its disgraceful for a pup to go to a new home at 5 1/2 weeks,unless there is a very valid reason..
As I said before, it was ignorance on my part and, I think, a lack of proper care by the breeder. It was not a planned litter and he was actually the last of the litter to leave, spending his last night there in an outside kennel with, amongst others, his sire! He still prefers to be outside but I do shudder to think what could have happened!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
6 weeks?!
Hmm 'backstreet breeders' you mean? The sort who breed just for the money? That figures.
With all due respect, that is as clear a case of twisting words as I have ever read!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
With all due respect, that is as clear a case of twisting words as I have ever read!
No, I know it read wrong, just read it again, the 2 sentenes weren't meant to be connected, lol.

What I mean is surely, the more backstreet the breeder, the quicker they want rid, the less the effort for more money! Very occasionally for health reasons the pups need to be taken away that young surely.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
IMO 8 weeks is the minimum BUT it very much depends on the individual circumstances of each litter, the breed & the home the puppy is going to.

The dangers of removing a pup from mum & litter mates too early are well documented & some of the very young litters that have been dumped in rescues (minus the mum!) demonstrate this very well .
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:47 AM
No, I know it read wrong, just read it again, the 2 sentenes weren't meant to be connected, lol.

What I mean is surely, the more backstreet the breeder, the quicker they want rid, the less the effort for more money! Very occasionally for health reasons the pups need to be taken away that young surely.
No problem!

Just to clarify, by an occasional breeder I mean someone who only breeds a litter when they have a full waiting list of people who specifically want one of their puppies (or they want one themselves), whose dogs are pets and live in the house and who you would go back to for your next puppy because they are such beautiful, well-mannered dogs. Someone who has the experience and expertise to know which new home will be suitable at 6 weeks and which will benefit from a further week with the mum. Absolutely nothing 'backstreet' about such a breeder!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
No problem!

Just to clarify, by an occasional breeder I mean someone who only breeds a litter when they have a full waiting list of people who specifically want one of their puppies (or they want one themselves), whose dogs are pets and live in the house and who you would go back to for your next puppy because they are such beautiful, well-mannered dogs. Someone who has the experience and expertise to know which new home will be suitable at 6 weeks and which will benefit from a further week with the mum. Absolutely nothing 'backstreet' about such a breeder!
I do tend to catagorise breeders in 2 distinct groups, the pro's and the person with 2 pets they 'mate'. To me 'backstreet' covers any family who mate their 2 pet dogs, without real breed knowledge and breeding know how, ie: are both parents fully health tested etc?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I do tend to catagorise breeders in 2 distinct groups, the pro's and the person with 2 pets they 'mate'. To me 'backstreet' covers any family who mate their 2 pet dogs, without real breed knowledge and breeding know how, ie: are both parents fully health tested etc?
Absolutely, all health tests carried out and full management of the line she breeds going back generations. It's not always her own two dogs she breeds together to avoid inbreeding. She doesn't breed as a commercial exercise but only to get the puppies she and other people want and to further her line.

'Backstreet' to me has rather seedy connotations!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4