Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Does it depend on the breed?

I've only ever known a few litters of Atika pups, and no WAY were they ready at 6 weeks?! Never!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Does it depend on the breed?

I've only ever known a few litters of Atika pups, and no WAY were they ready at 6 weeks?! Never!
Yes i would say so
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
As I said in my first post, I think it would depend on how experienced the home was. A six week old pup is going to learn as much going to a home of multiple dogs if not more than an eight week old pup who has been solely with its littermates. Once the pups are weaned, the bitch won't have much to do with them - if she has the choice.
Agreed.

I had Tassle too young - was not happy, she had not been weaned properly the previous owner actually rang Mum (I was still at Uni) and asked her to take her at 4 weeks

As it was she was just over 5 weeks.
Jazz was older (10 or 12 can't quite recall - but he had been out to a home and returned to the breeder) and So was Zeff (9 or 13 depending on believing her or her paperwork).
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I have two dogs,mixed breed,whose parents were both 'aggressive' breeds.For reasons I won't go into simply because it's too long a story I was lumbered with hand raising these dudes from before their eyes had opened.They were aggressive,they'd been bred to be.Lacking a mammy they had to get their education from me.I've raised orphans of just about every species common in Ireland.Cows of course,horses,sheep,kittens,birds,foxes and dogs.But I'd never seen anything like these two.You know how puppies playfight?These guys drew blood on me at 4 weeks old and went into a frenzy of attack.I've never seen anything like it.They're not pitbulls,they're a mix of Mastiff,Boxer and Rottie.I still have them,6years on,no rescue would take them and I'd be uncomfortable placing them anyway.By the time they were 6 months old they'd given up on the stroppy behaviour.I remember in particular when I took the male in to be neutered there was a delightful little girl in the waiting room at the vets.She knelt down and threw her arms around this dog's neck and he melted.His sister is not so keen on kids and vanishes when the g'kids come to visit but I wouldn't leave either dog unsupervised with the little ones.
I replaced their mammy.They are as good as they could be,possibly better than they would have been if raised naturally by their mammy who wasn't people friendly.The big impact on a dog is physical rather than emotional if hand raised correctly.Correct me if anyone has contrary experience.I can offer only opinions based on experience or what I have read or learned by listening to others whose knowledge I respect.You can never be finished learning about animals.That's why I love 'em so!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:06 PM
...just because it can be done..does not make it right imo.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
...just because it can be done..does not make it right imo.
agree
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Thats suprised me as your not supposed to sell a puppy before the age of 8 weeks, I know Petplan wont let you transfer a pup to new owners before 8 weeks.
That only applies to"Licensed by the Local Authority" breeders
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
why would a breeder do that
I have no idea at all. I got Wukee from them at 6 weeks old(he's a BC)& he has learnt far more from my other dogs than he did from his litter mates
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
it should do, whether breeding dogs occasionally, or having constant litters.

and to be honest i wouldnt buy from someone who would give their pups up at 6 weeks....
I wouldn't want a toy breed at 6 weeks, Roodee was 11 weeks when we got him & he was very well"educated"by the breeder's bitches & the breeder. He was a very confident bold puppy.

GSDs, BC & sim are a total different ballgame, especially if the home they are going to is a multi dog experienced home
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
By whose authority? And what has it got to do with Petplan?
The KC frowns upon it, and it you use petplan insurance to send with the pups to there new home they wont let you transfer the ownership and activate the policy until the pup is 8 weeks old.
Also 6-8 weeks is the vital time for a developing puppy, it learns to play with it's brothers and sisters and learns boundrys of behaviour from its mum.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >