Our sister sites
Our sister sites
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Puppies and trains...

Hello,

I'm planning to collect my puppy on the 20th August a border collie via train, then going to the home to talk to the breeder and then bring my puppy home. I don't drive and have no friends or family able to take me and a taxi is way to costly £450 just one way! the breeder also doesn't drive, BUT the train is around an hour and half with one change, would a puppy be ok on a train that long? would a large cat carrier be best or harness and leash?

They are allowed on trains as long as they don't cause any trouble or take up a seat.

Thanks.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 11:17 PM
i collected ty on a train, that was a 3 and a half hour train journey with one change, i used collar and leash and just held him on my knee and he just slept most of the time, was absoloutly fine, i didnt feed him before though as my mum actually got him for me and he was very carsick when she was taking him to hers, hope this helps xx
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think it would be a problem and perhaps let the puppy have a good play first so it's sleepy. A train journey is not much different from a car journey. Where are you getting your new puppy from?
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I collected my 2 by train, I borrowed a crate and a show trolley and they were perfectly happy
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2010, 09:59 AM
So a collar, harness and leash should be ok?

Just a little worried incase the pup decides to "empty itself" on the train

Can't wait, only 25 days to go, I feel like a 6 year old on christmas eve even tho' I've owned dogs in the past and have a Jack russell called Sukie at the mo' I still enjoy the thrill of getting a new pup.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I would definitely bring a container to keep the puppy in. I fondly remember mine vomiting up numerous times on our similar 1 1/2 hour journey, albeit by car. Not sure I would have liked to have clean up that mess on a public train.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by _Charlotte_ View Post
Just a little worried incase the pup decides to "empty itself" on the train
Well you could take a cat carrier (if you think the pup will fit) just in case, as a den if the puppy seems worried or anxious.

But also take some incontinence pads, baby wipes, tissues, hand gel etc. so you can clean up if he does have an accident.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Well you could take a cat carrier (if you think the pup will fit) just in case, as a den if the puppy seems worried or anxious.

But also take some incontinence pads, baby wipes, tissues, hand gel etc. so you can clean up if he does have an accident.
I know my Slovakian fitted into our cats container no problem right up until she had her last vaccinations at 11 or so weeks, so a Collie puppy should be fine in one.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I collected a Lhasa Apso by train once. Used a carrier with a training pad inside just incase, and was so glad I did! I got her out whilst on the train, but on the platform and in the car park kept her in the carrier.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I've not traveled by train with a dog, but I transport a lot of dogs and puppies by car. I can tell you that puppies are the easiest to transport. As soon as the car gets going they are sound asleep. I'd imagine a trip on a train would be much like that too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >