Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Suz6
New Member!
Female 

26-08-2009, 05:36 PM

new pup & have a7 yr old schnauzer

Help We have 7yr old Mini Schn and recently got a new baby She is 12 weeks now but constantly biting and on our older one. Yesterday I had to pry her mouth off the older schnauzer Is this normal puppy play? My older one was a breeze to train but then there was no other dog in the house but him thanks
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Very normal! if your older dog isn't warning the pup off, it is best to correct the pup by distraction or removing one of them from the situation.
Suz6
New Member!
Female 

26-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I have tried distracting one or both of the dogs. I am finding the pup at times has an agressive tone . My elder is gentle with her but he does at times flip her over and she returns right away for more. I mentioned all of this to the breeder and he said He will find her a new home if this is what I want but we are attached to her in this short 3 weeks of having her. Most times the two dogs play rough house without a problem Thanks for the helo
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Suz6 View Post
I have tried distracting one or both of the dogs. I am finding the pup at times has an agressive tone . My elder is gentle with her but he does at times flip her over and she returns right away for more. I mentioned all of this to the breeder and he said He will find her a new home if this is what I want but we are attached to her in this short 3 weeks of having her. Most times the two dogs play rough house without a problem Thanks for the helo
She is not being aggressive; just a normal pup. Puppies are annoying, especially to adult dogs. Most pups don't develop the canine etiquette to know when to back off until they are older. Until then unfortunately it is a case of correcting her when she goes over the top and praising her when she is calm near the older dog. You need the patience of a saint but she will get it in the end.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Suzanne this is normal puppy behaviour. When playing together with siblings puppies 'play bite' , they soon learn if they bite too hard the other puppies will squeal and run off and the game will end. So they learn to bite more gently so the rest of the puppies will continue to play .

Normally an older dog will tolerate behaviour from a puppy which it would not accept from another adult dog. When it has had enough it will normally signal this to the puppy with a growl and the puppy learns to back off.

However it is only fair to give your older dog time apart from the puppy. One way to do this is to install a dog gate between the kitchen where the puppy is and the rest of the house where the older dog is. That way they can see and get used to each other without too much trouble.

One thing I wouln't do is to pry the puppy's mouth open, this could lead to other problems later.

It is also a good idea for you to teach your puppy 'bite inhibition' which will help her to play gently with both humans and other dogs.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..click here
Suz6
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you Your comments all make sense when I read it. I guess I feel bad for the older dog who actually needs the companionship of another dog which is why we got the puppy.She comes from excellent lineage but she does bit our older one. I will read the link you sent me. the restling is wonderful but the biting is the part I do not like. Why did you tell me not to pry puppies mouth open when she is on my adult schnauzers beard area? He is yipping but could not get her off. Just curious as to what prob that would bring in the future.
thanks Suz
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I also have a young puppy with my nearly 15 months old Great Dane X... Ben is a bit afraid of laying down, because Missy goes straight to his private area..

Ben can be a bit rough with her, but she also bites harder than him... I try and leave them to it as much a possible...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Suz6 View Post
Thank you Your comments all make sense when I read it. I guess I feel bad for the older dog who actually needs the companionship of another dog which is why we got the puppy.She comes from excellent lineage but she does bit our older one. I will read the link you sent me. the restling is wonderful but the biting is the part I do not like. Why did you tell me not to pry puppies mouth open when she is on my adult schnauzers beard area? He is yipping but could not get her off. Just curious as to what prob that would bring in the future.
thanks Suz
Hi Suzanne I say this for a number of reasons the main one being your puppy needs to learn to trust you and to associate both you and your hands with good and positive experiences never scary painful or negative experience.

I avoid 'manhandling' a puppy if at all possible, if the puppy is doing something you don't want it to do distract it or preferably don't let the situation arise in the first place.
The way you treat your puppy now will shape its behaviour/fears/train ability for the rest of its life.
Suz6
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh you have been a gem and thank you for the link to the canine site I have read quite a bit on there. Today has been smoother and I think my older one is finally using some doggie force to the pup. I have yelled out ouch when she has started to play bite me and I withdraw from her attention and in a couple of minutes I come to her and rub her back. Hope we make it through.....