View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 08:36 AM
I have three dogs and work full time. I think it depends on what type of dog owner you are. It is hard work but I am pretty sure we do our best by the dogs. I know of people who do not work and do not look after their dogs properly. So I would say a def yes, it is fair if you are a decent dog owner. I would say the key words are responsibility and commitment.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 11:29 AM
i have dogs and worked full time when i got both of them, my 1st job allowed to let me to come home at lunch, then i worked in home care which allowed me to come and go all day. now im at uni, there a a couple of days they are on their own 7.30 to 6 ish and are fine. Suki is 3 and Michael is 2
ATD x
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
i have a 11 wk dally, and i am not working at mo, but when i do go back to work whether it be part or full time, my dog should fit in happily with what i do. Iam a horse riding instructor / groom, and dallies were originally used with horses, so hopefully there should be no problems.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 04:46 PM
As everyone else has said, it's ok to work so long as you put in the time when you're home.
We've got 5 dogs so they entertain each other which is good but always make a big fuss when we get home. Maybe you should get 2 so they're not by themselves!!
Jelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2009, 09:22 AM
i got jelly when i was doing my degree knowing that in the future i would always have to adapt my life for her- people thought i was very iresponsible and that i would dump her on my dad or give her away as soon as i wanted a social life. however jelly is my life. i was working shift work when living with my dad so jelly would only have to be left for 6 hours tops. she was fine with this setup. i however couldn't stand the job so began an apprentiship as a librarian which is what i am doing now. i moved house to be closer to work and now flat share with my brother so jelly has company all day- my brother doesn't walk her it's just so she's not on her own. we are very lucky to have a small garden. i get up at 5.30am so that jelly has an hour offlead walk in the morning, she has half an hour in the eve. she is a 20month old jrt.
so yes it can work- but i think you have to sometimes adapt your life in order to make it work esp if you have a young dog
LittleMonster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I think it's ok depending on the dog and the setup.

I think for a while my parents were both out the house most of the day with our collie X, she was a young active dog at that point but she managed just fine, she was happy and healthy. She didn't have a dog walker in the middle of the day either, she never messed, or was desperate either.

Asher I think wouldn't be entirely happy at 1st, but he'd adapt pretty quickly I bet, and if it was built up I'm sure he'd be fine, and I know he'd much rather have me the 16 hour of a day I wasn't working and weekends than not have me at all.

To get a dog and suddenly go from an hour or 2 shopping once a week to working fulltime with no build up wouldn't be fair, and some dogs I guess would never adapt, but overall I don't think it'd make most dogs unhappy
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2013, 10:41 PM
This is the situation I will most likely be in when I move out so this thread has been really interesting!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6