Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 09:51 AM

I don't agree with Crufts/split from Crufts protest thread

Ok my view is I dont agree with crufts as I believe if they wanted to change then they could make things right.
They could look at the puppy farms who they offer KC registration to and stop it in a heartbeat but they wont as they bring into much money.
I love to see the dogs at Crufts and think if they made a few changes then most anti-people could be changed.
But I hate the way some breeds have changed like the bulldog and the health issues in the cavaliers and thats why I have to say am anti crufts.
I feel they have money at the heart of their decisions not the welfare of the dogs.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Ok my view is I dont agree with crufts as I believe if they wanted to change then they could make things right.
They could look at the puppy farms who they offer KC registration to and stop it in a heartbeat but they wont as they bring into much money.
I love to see the dogs at Crufts and think if they made a few changes then most anti-people could be changed.
But I hate the way some breeds have changed like the bulldog and the health issues in the cavaliers and thats why I have to say am anti crufts.
I feel they have money at the heart of their decisions not the welfare of the dogs.
Crufts is just a dog show, so would it be fair to say, your really anti dog shows?
How many puppy farmers KC reg there dogs?
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
But I think Crufts is a bit more than a dog show they set the standards regardless of health implications.
And no puppy farmers dont show their dogs but people will see cockers ect ect and but from a puppy farmer as they have KC documents.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
But I think Crufts is a bit more than a dog show they set the standards regardless of health implications.
And no puppy farmers dont show their dogs but people will see cockers ect ect and but from a puppy farmer as they have KC documents.

I think your a bit confuddled today kc....

Crufts dont set any standards, it is just a show, its not even the KC that set the standards, the breed clubs set the standards, as im sure you have seen in NI dogs, its the NIS that set the breed standard.
this is where I feel people who lack knowlage of the system tend to feel its all down to the KC or Crufts or whatever, but really they need to look at there own breed clubs and dish out the blame.

as for people will see cavs at crufts then go and buy a puppy farm dog....well thats hardly the fault of breeders who do things by the book, if people then go on to buy pups from stinking holes.

As far as I know no puppy farms reg there dogs, it would mean only taking one litter a year, and not breeding the bitch to young and so on, far to restrictive for a puppy farmer
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I definitely think the KC need to sort out who they allow to register dogs. I say this because apparently they are aware that some "Breeders" (for want of a better word) sell their pets to pet shops and instead of banning them from registering further litters, they say they are "working with them" if I remember rightly from the reply somebody on here got back when complaining about Harrods selling K.C. reg pups. It is since that time that I have lost respect for the KC, as selling dogs in shops is something that your average moron knows is wrong, yet the KC are "working with them" - DISGUSTING! I don't see how anyone can justify the KC in this matter. Of course, I am only going by what was said on this Forum, so if any information was wrong, or I took it in the wrong way, I am happy to be corrected

It is, however, the breed clubs that set the breed standards, as Shona said.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I definitely think the KC need to sort out who they allow to register dogs. I say this because apparently they are aware that some "Breeders" (for want of a better word) sell their pets to pet shops and instead of banning them from registering further litters, they say they are "working with them" if I remember rightly from the reply somebody on here got back when complaining about Harrods selling K.C. reg pups. It is since that time that I have lost respect for the KC, as selling dogs in shops is something that your average moron knows is wrong, yet the KC are "working with them" - DISGUSTING! I don't see how anyone can justify the KC in this matter. Of course, I am only going by what was said on this Forum, so if any information was wrong, or I took it in the wrong way, I am happy to be corrected

It is, however, the breed clubs that set the breed standards, as Shona said.
Im not aware of shops selling KC reg pups, but if they do.....the trouble is, how do the KC know they are being sold by shops, the paperwork will still have the breeders names on it, then the transfer would just go ahead as normal. {or} if im wrong...would Harrods transfer all the pups into the shop name? then the new owner transfer again?
Im sure someone will come along and tell us ??

But again the KC could be blind to it happening.

blaming the KC for everything is kinda like blaming the DVLA if you buy a car that doesnt run properly....its a bit daft.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I have to say...it depends on what your interpratation of a puppy farm is....
Sadly there are people out there who breed solely for profit but fall within the KC accredited breeder scheme. I know lots of the breeders in my breed won't touch that with a barge pole that that reason.

I do undertand that people see Crufts as a symbol of the KC.

Thing is....the KC is an organisation...if protesters want to have an impact on them they should be nprotesting around their building in London...not bugging the people who work hard for the health and welfare of their chosen breeds.

IMO the protest is targeting the wrong place and wrong people...it's the KC itself needs to be targeted for protests NOT decent breeders and dog owners who occassionally 'show' their dogs. The majority of them want the best for their dogs too.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im not aware of shops selling KC reg pups, but if they do.....the trouble is, how do the KC know they are being sold by shops, the paperwork will still have the breeders names on it, then the transfer would just go ahead as normal. {or} if im wrong...would Harrods transfer all the pups into the shop name? then the new owner transfer again?
Im sure someone will come along and tell us ??

But again the KC could be blind to it happening.

blaming the KC for everything is kinda like blaming the DVLA if you buy a car that doesnt run properly....its a bit daft.

Hi Shona, it's a rare day that I don't agree with you but today is the one The KC are aware it is happening, that's how they commented:

KC's reply to Westie_n when she complained about Harrods selling KC reg puppies:

At this point, as we have no legislative power, there is little we can do, however rest assured that we will continue to work with Harrods in trying and stop them selling puppies
So they are going to 'continue to work with Harrods' therefore admitting the KC is aware of KC reg pups being sold. I think it is a disgrace and contrary to their code of ethics. I appreciate they don't have the law behind them to stop Harrods from selling pups but they should surely be warning Breeders that if they are found to be selling pups to retail outlets, they will be banned from registering further pups. I know there are always loopholes to any ban but this would send out the message, for all to see, that selling litters to shops is in no way acceptable and the KC will come down hard on anyone who does. Instead they are sending out the message in their code of ethics, that Breeders should not sell to shops, then "working with Harrods" - it doesn't make sense to me.

Regarding the car situation, this is totally different, there are no real ethics in selling a car but puppies are not in the same category, they need people to look out for them and whilst the KC isn't kicking up a big fuss about Breeders selling KC reg pups to shops, it will continue to happen.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Hi Shona, it's a rare day that I don't agree with you but today is the one The KC are aware it is happening, that's how they commented:

KC's reply to Westie_n when she complained about Harrods selling KC reg puppies:

So they are going to 'continue to work with Harrods' therefore admitting the KC is aware of KC reg pups being sold. I think it is a disgrace and contrary to their code of ethics. I appreciate they don't have the law behind them to stop Harrods from selling pups but they should surely be warning Breeders that if they are found to be selling pups to retail outlets, they will be banned from registering further pups. I know there are always loopholes to any ban but this would send out the message, for all to see, that selling litters to shops is in no way acceptable and the KC will come down hard on anyone who does. Instead they are sending out the message in their code of ethics, that Breeders should not sell to shops, then "working with Harrods" - it doesn't make sense to me.

Regarding the car situation, this is totally different, there are no real ethics in selling a car but puppies are not in the same category, they need people to look out for them and whilst the KC isn't kicking up a big fuss about Breeders selling KC reg pups to shops, it will continue to happen.
Sadly there is no real ethics in breeding other than those the breeder decides to take upon themselfs.

right so the KC are aware of it, they are trying to work with Harrods to stop it....good stuff...

but here is how a breeder would get round it...

breeder has 8 bitches, 3 reg in family members names, though owned by the breeder,
she has a litter from each bitch that are in the name of family members, sells them to Harrods, {now if the kc strike them off for selling to shops} A} it has no real impact on the breeder, B} the breeder just gets those family members to transfer the dogs to another family members name, and the whole thing starts again,
Leaving the KC chasing clouds..
Thats the problem, there is always a way round it, some breeders even do this if they breed more than 4 litters a year to avoid having to be licensed.
Without legal clout its very difficult for the KC to force things,
So I can sort of see why they are dealing with Harrods, it is prob more productive of time than chasing dogs around.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Shona said:
Sadly there is no real ethics in breeding other than those the breeder decides to take upon themselfs.

right so the KC are aware of it, they are trying to work with Harrods to stop it....good stuff...

but here is how a breeder would get round it...

breeder has 8 bitches, 3 reg in family members names, though owned by the breeder,
she has a litter from each bitch that are in the name of family members, sells them to Harrods, {now if the kc strike them off for selling to shops} A} it has no real impact on the breeder, B} the breeder just gets those family members to transfer the dogs to another family members name, and the whole thing starts again,
Leaving the KC chasing clouds..
Thats the problem, there is always a way round it, some breeders even do this if they breed more than 4 litters a year to avoid having to be licensed.
Without legal clout its very difficult for the KC to force things,
So I can sort of see why they are dealing with Harrods, it is prob more productive of time than chasing dogs around.

Wow, that's complicated stuff. It'll take me an hour to get my head around that I think it's way too easy to register pups. Apparently (I only have the word of people in other countries on doggy forums) it's not quite so easy outside the UK. There are DNA requirements and even home visits in one Country (think it was somewhere in Scandinavia - but don't quote me on that - was a long time ago I read it). Here, you can just go online and register what you like, no questions asked, so long as you have the sire and dams reg names and numbers. It's so easy to say litters are from a bitch, when really they are from a totally different bitch! I truly don't know what the answer is. I do believe that we have to go with the flow, as the KC is the only organisation we have in the dog breeding world (that's worth anything at all) but I really wish they'd push to get more rights for animal welfare!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »