View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
the national dog bite regiestry here in north amarica,says that the cocker bites more people than any other....for me its the wolf dog.i worked at a rescue center,for the breed here in CAN,and after the dog matures,they become increasingly hard to handle ,i have been bitten9 times,and 5 were from these dogs in a 4 month period,Dalmations are the other dog i have troubles with,tempermental,IMO...good responces here,...phil
Doesn't surprise me about Cockers. Most of the ones around here are nasty yappers, which is sad as I like the breed and used to own one who was a sweetheart.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't think there is a breed as such that I am automatically afraid of, but there are types of dog that make me nervous.

The still quiet ones... The ones that stiffen up as you approach and hold their ground... You're never sure if that is going to break into a play bow or a savage attack. (it has gone either way in my experience).

The over enthusiastic adolescent with no manners. Usually Labs, or springers because their owners think everyone must love them and know they're fine. They come leaping and bounding up and I'm never sure if they are going to knock me over or go for one of the dogs.

The small dog on a stretchy lead. Is it going to play and tie you in knots? Or attack before the owner can lock the lead?

I have been attacked while walking personally, not the dogs, me, by a German Shepherd, a rottweiller and a golden retriever. The worst dog bite I have ever seen was my Mum attacked by a Norfolk terrier. The worst attack on my dogs was a pair of Staffordshires on a split lead being walked by a child. They attacked my Jackjack and tore his harness to pieces. I dread to think what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing it.

Unfortunately for the reputations of the GSD, The Rottie and the Staffie, they are stilll the dogs that seem to fall into the wrong hands most readily. But any dog in the wrong hands can be dangerous and if you ask me, the most dangersous are the ones you least suspect.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I used to be scared of all dogs. In fact I used to be absolutely terrified. I'd cross over the road if I saw a Yorkie on a lead minding it's own business!

I'm always a bit wary of GSD's - never been bitten etc, but when I was little, the pub next door had proper guard dog GSD's that would hang over the 6ft fence and bark/growl/snap at us. I'm a lot better now though, but still not completely at home with them.

I think having 2 large dogs has helped, as I know my own strength a bit more.

I'm not a fan of small dogs who show their teeth at people; not sure why though!

Can see why people are a little mistrustful of Boxers - they can be a handful, and so big and boisterous that if you're not used to it, it's a shock.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
lol i think every one hit the nail on the spot with the descriptions of the chavs
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by tezziebear View Post
OK I give up...what or who are 'Chavs' or 'chavvys'??? I have no idea!!!!
Me apparantly - I own a Rottie!!

I jest of course!! Although, I do have hooded tops that I occasionally wear

I totally understand people who are intimidated by Rotts, Dobies, GSD's, Staffies and other Bull- breeds. They can look scary to a stranger and they have all had the most appalling press to exacerbate things

The breeds I am always wary of here are Border Collies and Westies - simply because they are the most common ones that I've come across that have shown aggression problems. (this is when out walking).

I wish to add that I have also met some lovely ones in obedience training classes and at shows though! Just to prove I'm not completely 'breedist' against them!!!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Ah, you know what, I have thought of one...

Akita

For some reason all of the Akita I have met have been nasty brutes that have pulled their owners over trying to get to me or my dogs. There just doesn't seem to be a nice Akita owned by a sensible person anywhere near me.

I'd love to meet one if anyone does know someone with a lovely Akita But I have to admit I do cross the road to avoid all the ones around here!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Combinations of dogs and owners for me - the "i don't have a clue my dog is annoying yours a lot!" owners or the "dogs will be dogs" owners. Or the " my dog's never done that before" owners....

Sadly I've been a bit wary of staffies at the moment, not for me as I think they are fab people dogs, but we seem to have a few very pushy and rude ones round here now, who have no manners with other dogs (to the point of them causing a fight) so when I'm with my dog I'm sadly wary of them now, which I never used to be. When I'm not with my dog, I'm not wary (if that makes any sense!) There are still some nice other dog savvy ones around thank goodness, though.

A few days ago a "I don't have a clue..." owner (very normal middle aged, middle class woman with her hubby) let her staff and terrier off lead annoy my dog who was on lead. The terrier was playful but the other one wasn't, thankfully she did call hers away - after I asked her to!

Wys
x
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Im very suprised that a vet would say that about spaniel breeds. Usually there recommended as family dogs. Its a huge shame they said that

But saying that, staffys make great family dogs as well
We do see an awful lot of nervy and therefore snappy spaniels, both Springers and Cockers
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Its funny so many peope saying they are wary of big dogs as I have always been more wary of little dogs. In my exprience I've met a lot more aggressive little dogs than I have big ones, usually because the owners spoil them and think it is 'cute' when they growl and snap
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post
Its funny so many peope saying they are wary of big dogs as I have always been more wary of little dogs. In my exprience I've met a lot more aggressive little dogs than I have big ones, usually because the owners spoil them and think it is 'cute' when they growl and snap
I agree with this, i much prefer big dogs or 'proper dogs'
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »