Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Both the liver and white GSP and black and white ESS came from a rescue centre in Bucks. GSP last August when he was brought over from Ireland and the ESS 3 weeks ago. There is no rescue culture in Ireland which is why so many dogs get shipped over here to breed specific rescues. It makes you wonder what happens to all the others, as they only give then 7 days!
Maggie's from a general rescue who I believe take a lot a Irish dogs on a very regular basis. But by all accounts the dogs seem to have lovely temperaments on the whole.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have met a couple of bad tempered ones. No breed is immune from bad breeding sadly.
Totally agree. I've heard some horror stories about Springers and yet Woody is one of the most biddable dogs I have ever met in my life (well apart from the humping thing )
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I've heard some horror stories about Springers and yet Woody is one of the most biddable dogs I have ever met in my life (well apart from the humping thing )
Ditto on the Lab stories, which I find horrifying while looking at my ridiculously goofy, impeccably well natured dog!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I have met several "well built" and "assertive" Labs recently, personally I thought they were just fat and aggressive, but what do I know .
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2009, 09:55 PM
you said that right ,my dogos are not hunting stalk and you would be hard pressed to get one if you did not have experience with large breeds, in the dogo community we try to do are best at rescuing before the land in the wrong hands,they are out there and the punks love them ,2500 dollers for a dog is a deterent for those who wish to exploit them negitivly, fighting .... iv seen a few with punks on the other end
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Ditto on the Lab stories, which I find horrifying while looking at my ridiculously goofy, impeccably well natured dog!
We met a chocolate lab (hmmmm ;o) that was so badly behaved it frightened Woody into a hunched back and whimpering state!! I was furious with it's ''equally'' over weight owner who did **** all to call her dog back from my clearly distressed four month old puppy!! It wasn't aggressive in any way but was so thick and overweight and used to getting it's own way it was jumping all over him and us!! She thought it was hilarious, I wanted to punch her!!!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
We met a chocolate lab (hmmmm ;o) that was so badly behaved it frightened Woody into a hunched back and whimpering state!! I was furious with it's ''equally'' over weight owner who did **** all to call her dog back from my clearly distressed four month old puppy!! It wasn't aggressive in any way but was so thick and overweight and used to getting it's own way it was jumping all over him and us!! She thought it was hilarious, I wanted to punch her!!!
This sounds like the lab we met. Wouldn't take no for an answer. Luckily didn't scare Maggie but seriously p***** her off.
nikki_kev
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2009, 09:46 AM
IMO there is no such thing as a dangerous dog, just dangerous owners...I am not scared of any breed, although I did once have a Yorkie hand from my hand when I was younger. But that hasn't put me off of them - not my kind of dog,as I would probably stand on a dog so small, but others do like them and I wouldn't judge all yorkies on my past experience.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by tezziebear View Post
I spoke to one of our local vets the other week in my constant quest for a new puppy and asked his opinion on a good family dog breed he would recommend. At the time I was really looking at the English Springer but he said that he would steer clear of all spaniel breeds because of their biting issues!!!!Especially the cocker but he dosent trust any spaniel. He reckons the most 'bomb proof dog there is is the staffy and he couldnt recommend them enough!!!!
There is supposedly a higher incidence of aggression amongst solid colour cockers, not entirely sure why. For a spaniel to bite goes against everything it was bred for. Gundogs were bred to work closely with man in a partnership for food and they all should be soft mouthed otherwise they would damage the game. Thats exactly why they make good family dogs normally.

I'm not taken with bull breeds or terriers of any kind. I think it's because they were bred to be tenacious and viscious with their quarry and thats the main reason I wouldnt trust them. I'm not taken with GSD's neither because most i've come across havent been pleasant characters.
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10