View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Sort of agree. I think they should carry out checks to make sure the dogs are going to the right owner etc (as most good breeders do anyway) But I think they (and rescues) should try to be a bit more flexible too. And should put more emphasis on the person rather than their homes.

For example.. I was refused a rescue dog because I live in a maisonette. Despite assuring the woman that my outdoor pursuits would be more than enough exercise for the dog and also showing a letter of permission from landlord and despite showing her I had ample space in my part of the garden.

The same rescue center then gave a dog to a woman who lives up the road (but in a self contained house). This woman never goes further than the post office around the corner. And the only exercise the dog appears to get is a run around her tiny garden.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well ok Anne, one "reputable" rescue on a popular rescue forum, Im sure you will know the one I mean, who spouts about everything, hunting, racing Greys etc... who would NEVER ever home a dog for working, homed one with me knowing exactly who I was and what I intended to do with the dog, is that reputable enough???
I honestly have no idea who you are talking about?
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I think some checks should be made but I do feel some rescue centres 'cut off their nose to spite their face' in being too strict. I was quite willing to give a rescue dog a home before we got Greg but because me and O/H both work full time the local ones wouldnt allow it. I go home from work during the day to let Greg out and have a play, and he is a happy healthy dog. I could have given that chance to a rescue if they would show a little flexibility. BUT in the same breath I think anyone who wants a dog should have to prove they are capable before owning one, home/background checks are essential IMO.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I honestly have no idea who you are talking about?
Ill pm you
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Most reputable rescues are happy to home suitable dogs to people who work fulltime providing they either come home at lunch, have a dog walker or use doggy day care. Most rescues will also home to people living in flats providing the dog gets enough exercise. I think the problem the large rescues have is time and resources so have to put policies in place instead of checking people on a one to one bases. Anyhow this is going off topic
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Most reputable Rescues thoroughly check out homes before allowing one of their dogs/pups to be adopted, for example; a thorough interview, a Pre homevisit, Post adoption homevisit, Letter of permission from landlords/housing ass/council, Proof a training course has been paid for, reference letter from their vet if they've owned a dog before and follow up to ensure the dog has been neutered.
Should Breeders carryout the same checks? if not why not?
Most reputable breeders at least the ones I have had puppies from chose their owners carefully but as I have bought puppies from as far away as a six or seven hour journey each way it would be difficult for them to do home a home check. As regards proof that a training course has been paid for and follow up that a dog has been neutered I don't think you would find that someone buying a puppy from a breeder would be wiling to adhere to these two points. Some people are buying a show puppy and like Sal said don't want to be told that they have to neuter their puppy. Yes rescues do but this is one thing I do not think breeders would or should be able to impose on new owners.

As regards Patch's comment that because Breeders don't do homechecks this is why so many dogs end up in rescue, sorry in my opinion this is not main reason I think more dogs end up in rescue because the people looking for a new puppy do not do enough research . They see a breed and think O' I like that I'll have one of these without researching to see if that particular breed really suits their lifestyle. Also marriage and relationship breakdowns play a big part in dogs ending up in rescue.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
As regards Patch's comment that because Breeders don't do homechecks this is why so many dogs end up in rescue, sorry in my opinion this is not main reason I think more dogs end up in rescue because the people looking for a new puppy do not do enough research . They see a breed and think O' I like that I'll have one of these without researching to see if that particular breed really suits their lifestyle.

Thats my point hun, too many breeders dont simply bother to make sure that the homes their pups are going to are suitable for the pup including a new owners previous experience or Breed research if a first time owner
I wish I had a pound for all the times I`ve heard people say BCs are pretty much `born ready trained`
:smt075

I do believe its a breeders responsibility to make sure buyers really know what they are taking on [ any breed ], and what to expect at the various stages of growth and learning - so many being dumped in rescue as `hyperactive boistrous hard to handle juvenile dogs roughly between the ages of 8 to 12 months on average because far too many people only see the cute little bundle without a thought to getting beyond the baby puppy stage, and too few breeders make sure buyers go in to it with eyes wide open
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
As regards proof that a training course has been paid for and follow up that a dog has been neutered I don't think you would find that someone buying a puppy from a breeder would be wiling to adhere to these two points.
Could breeders not adopt puppies out instead of selling them? ensuring the adoption contract includes the above. Instead of using endorsements which don't really work they could ask for proof from their vet that this has been done, those that show their dogs could be exempted providing they had proof.

Also marriage and relationship breakdowns play a big part in dogs ending up in rescue
That's not as common as some seem to think. The most common reasons are lack of commitment and lack of proper training.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Most reputable rescues are happy to home suitable dogs to people who work fulltime providing they either come home at lunch, have a dog walker or use doggy day care. Most rescues will also home to people living in flats providing the dog gets enough exercise. I think the problem the large rescues have is time and resources so have to put policies in place instead of checking people on a one to one bases. Anyhow this is going off topic
Then how come DogsTrust (reputable, yes?) refused my friend a dog because A) she and her boyfriend both worked fulltime (but already had a dog walker arranged) and B) they weren't married???!!!!! And they'd already let them pick a dog out!! Sorry, but what has marital status got to do with owning a dog. I don't intend to get married in my lifetime, does that make me a bad owner????

Needless to say she went to BC rescue and rescued one from there. That dog had a loving, happy life but sadly died of cancer. She now owns a Golden Retriever from their breed rescue society.

Sorry I know it's off topic, but some rescue societies really need to get off their high horse. I know many do very good work, but whether you're married or not has nothing to do with rescuing a dog.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Then how come DogsTrust (reputable, yes?) refused my friend a dog because....:
If you read the rest of my post I explain why some of the larger rescues have set policies. If the rescue hasn't got the resources to deal with everyone on a one to one basis, like some of the larger rescues, they have no choice but to use strict policies, it really isn't about them being on a high horse.
Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »