Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:21 PM

Shivering (why dogs do it randomly?)

Roxy shivers when its cold/she's scared (with ears low) etc, however lately she looks to be doing it just generally.

We were in the car yesterday, which she is fine with and she was shivering a lot, it was warm, there could have possibly been a breeze? But I mainly just wondered if your dogs do this often???
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Roxy shivers when its cold/she's scared (with ears low) etc, however lately she looks to be doing it just generally.

We were in the car yesterday, which she is fine with and she was shivering a lot, it was warm, there could have possibly been a breeze? But I mainly just wondered if your dogs do this often???
We've inherited a 12 year old staffyx from my father in law when he died. He has had 'shivers' since he was a pup (possibly nerve related). It is quite alarming at times, but he is incredibly fit and healthy.

One of our other dogs does tremble, but mainly if my hubby and I argue. Recently he went for my husband who was taking a bone away - he knew he'd screwed up and trembled a bit. He doesn't do it to me and it was the first time in 6yrs he had done it to either of us. In his defense it is a confusing time - taking on a fairly aggressive staffyx and a new pup into the house.

However, it isn't on and hubby is on food and walk provision for a bit to sort things out between them.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 12:22 AM
If medical causes have been ruled out, is it an anxiety issue?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Oh right, I thought this was normal? Do your dogs shiver when cold or scared?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Well I reckon some do, particularly those with short coats - mine doesn't because he has a very thick, double coat but he does sometimes give a bit of a tremble when he thinks I'm really cross with him. Makes me feel awful. He also does it sometimes when I come home but I know he has a bit of separation anxiety sometimes so I thought it might be related to this - maybe excited to see me but a bit worried I might tell him off if he's chewed something.

Could she have been anxious about something to do with the car or just really excited?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Eddy does this!!!

When we went on holiday we were sat in a restaurant and he was shivering and shivering and shivering, when we went out, he had a wee and stopped straight away!!!

Now he's started doing it a lot again, I tried taking him out to the loo (which he never refuses) but it didn't help the shakes

It actually started concerning me and the more he does it, the more I think 'aaaah we really need a vet check!!' can't wait til pay day
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Hollie shivers sometimes for no apparant reason.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Oh right, I thought this was normal? Do your dogs shiver when cold or scared?
No never seen either of them shiver and I can't offer an explanation sorry
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Pickles has always done this, but I don't think he's ever done it cos he was cold, which is what some people insist on telling me it is! (Why do some people seem to think they know your dog soooo much better than you? )

He generally trembles when he's:

Scared
Excited
Or needs a pee/poo!

And that's the extent of Pickles' emotions!

For example, if I'm in the car and I stop and pull the handbrake on sometimes he'll start to tremble as he's anticipating me leaving him in the car ie anxious!

He'll often tremble when we're about to go for a walk ie excitement

And he will do it when he really, really needs to go out. The trembling is usually quickly followed by panting in this case though - much easier to tell the difference there!

I'm not sure dogs will shiver when they're cold as I always understood they were only capable of loosing body heat through their tongues and feet? Which is why they can overheat so quickly?

Or I could've just dreamt it!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Good to know im not the only one with a shivering dog then

I think in the car it may have been the a nxiety of the fact she could lay down like normal as we had a load of wood in the other seat. And I dont think she liked that very much.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >