Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 10:59 AM

Alcohol in pregnancy - effects on the foetus

Yes or no, what do you think?

My mum started this one off with me, quoting from something she saw on TV and how alcohol made the foetus jump.

I've always agreed with current medical opinion of the Food Standards Agency that it's probably ideal not to drink in pregnancy but in moderation (up to 2 units twice a week or so) it should be okay. Some of my friends who have kids have told me the odd glass of lager or wine has been a saving grace at times.

I think in Europe the culture is different and the odd glass of wine is thought to be okay?

But there are the scares of foetal alcohol syndrome from the US, although I would have thought they were in heavy drinkers, rather than mums to be sticking to advised limits.

If a pregnant woman drinks, say, a glass of wine or beer over an hour or so with food, I wonder what concentration of alcohol goes through the placenta?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 11:04 AM
foetal; alcohol syndrome results in smaller brain, slower cognitive and intelectual abilities and a mongoloian like flat face, this only occurs in heavy drinkers while pregnant...a couple of glasses is fine, i was told by a peadiatrician that eating the healthiest diet was bad as i didnt teach the foetus to "scrounge for vitamins" from available resources, that doesnt say to malnourishe them though....but overall a couple of glasses a week will not harm them in the slightest

Alex
xx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I never drank any alcohol during any of my 4 pregnancies. Even if there is the smallest of chance it could harm my unborn baby, then I stayed well clear. It's just not worth the risk.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
I never touched alcohol when I was pregnant. At the time I was told one glass of wine was ok but it was better to avoid alcohol completely.

I had a miscarriage years ago but in this pregnancy I did not know I was pregnant and was still drinking until I found out. Still do not know if alcohol contributed to it and is one of these things I always wonder about.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear that Carole

I didn't drink a drop once I knew I was pregnant, its not much to give up for 9 months for a fit healthy baby at the end of it.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
didn't drink or smoke whislt pregnant ......but a friend of mine drank quite a lot and had a prem baby
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 12:03 PM
my friend drank a bit and smoked a lot whilst pregnant, and her kid is having learnig difficulites.I think its totally selfish and irresponsible to drink or smoke whilst pregnant, as anne said ,what's 9 months when you're helping your baby to grow healthily!!!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 12:40 PM
wont be a problem for me as I don't drink or smoke anyway... however - what someone said about the eating a slightly less healthy diet - to force the foetus to 'scroungs for vitamins' was very interesting!

xx
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 01:00 PM
i never drank or smoked while expecting my son didnt want to take any chances or harming him
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Drinking alcohol (or smoking) during a pregnancy is taking a chance.
In 2005 ppl should know that and decide wheter they want to take that chance or not.

If they dont know ( ), a simple search on Google will tell:
Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause physical and mental birth defects. Each year, more than 40,000 babies are born with some degree of alcohol related damage. Although many women are aware that heavy drinking during pregnancy can cause birth defects, many do not realize that moderate—or even light—drinking also may harm the fetus.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >