Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TortuousAugur
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2018, 09:15 PM

Breaking vehicle anxiety of adult dog

I have a doberman that I'm wanting to break of his vehicle anxiety. I'm not sure what caused it but he's always been scared of new things (like when he was a puppy, he would resist going up stairs and pee when I would finally get him to use them). His anxiety symptoms include whining, pacing (as much as he can in the small area) and after a while, total loss of bowel control and diarrhea. I've made a trip from central NC to North TX with a pillow case over his head (recommended by vet) but this is when I discovered the last two symptoms and haven't tried anything over 45 minutes after that mess. If possible, I'm wanting to bring him with me while I work as a truck driver but obviously this cannot happen with his current anxiety problems. Is there any way to remedy this or is he a permanent house dog? My dog is a little over eight years old.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by TortuousAugur View Post
I have a doberman that I'm wanting to break of his vehicle anxiety. I'm not sure what caused it but he's always been scared of new things (like when he was a puppy, he would resist going up stairs and pee when I would finally get him to use them). His anxiety symptoms include whining, pacing (as much as he can in the small area) and after a while, total loss of bowel control and diarrhea. I've made a trip from central NC to North TX with a pillow case over his head (recommended by vet) but this is when I discovered the last two symptoms and haven't tried anything over 45 minutes after that mess. If possible, I'm wanting to bring him with me while I work as a truck driver but obviously this cannot happen with his current anxiety problems. Is there any way to remedy this or is he a permanent house dog? My dog is a little over eight years old.
How long have you had your dog?
Maybe he will get over it.
TortuousAugur
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2018, 09:46 PM
I've been the only owner since he was a large puppy. Maybe 4-8 months old.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2018, 09:58 PM
I've been the only owner since he was a large puppy. Maybe 4-8 months old.
Did he always have this anxiety?
TortuousAugur
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2018, 10:02 PM
More or less. It seemed to get worse as he got older. He's always been timid with new experiences.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2018, 10:33 PM
More or less. It seemed to get worse as he got older. He's always been timid with new experiences.
Maybe a dog behaviourist could advise you?
It isn't something I've experienced. Ours started as a timid chap but he got over that quite quickly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2018, 10:39 PM
I think you're asking a lot of an eight year old tbh. If he has a phobia that's been present from puppyhood I'd leave it be.
TortuousAugur
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2018, 10:41 PM
That's kind of what I thought. Just figured I'd see if there was a second opinion that said otherwise.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Shame - poor dog. 8 is a bit old to put a dog through what would undoubtedly be very traumatic. It might be possible to start with very, very small steps - having the dog in the car for a few minutes with the door open but a very tasty something in there - liver is good, a cooked sausage, whatever really trips the dog's taste buds! Work up very, very slowly to getting into the car with the dog and shutting the door. You can see where I am going here.

Personally I think Trouble is probably right, at 8 it really might be too late and too traumatic but it may be worth a try just to see.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2018, 01:04 AM
I did once see a method on TV. I think it was Victoria Stillwell, and it was a Dobe too.
She opened both the rear doors of the car, and encouraged the dog to become used to passing through the vehicle without it being enclosed space. Once it was hopping in and out happily, one door could be closed, and the dog rewarded for sitting in the back seat. Car training proceeded as usual from that point.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >