Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2012, 06:44 PM

50% muscle wastage of left rear leg

My 4 year old dog had crutiate surgery 4 weeks ago but it is possible it had been ruptured for some time, i had repeatedly took her vets as she was very lame and i kept getting told it was due to her hip dysplasia. Today i took her for physio and i was given lots of massage and stretching exercises to do with her which ive already started. The physio told me she has lost 50% of the muscle in her back left leg and around 30% in her right leg, my question being has this happened to anybodys dog or does anyone have experience of this and if so is there anything else i can do to help my girl, many thanks everyone who may be able to suggest something
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I have no experience with this so cant give you much help but I know a couple of the kennels / groomers near us have hydrotherapy centers with a disabled harness lift to put the dog in the pool and a motion pool - so they can sort of swim on the spot but can be aided if need be. Like I say I have no experience but they are supposedly for rehabilitation so might help - could also be expensive but I'm really not sure.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the reply cassie loves hydro and has been going back to it the last couple of weeks but today physio said i could be making her worse as she doesnt move her back legs in the pool. He suggests we do the massage and very low 5 min walks on her head collar and hell reasses the hydro when we see him in a couple of weeks.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-08-2012, 07:06 PM
My Bernese then 6 months old was diagnosed with cruciate problem and had to be on rest for a month till referral from the RVc Potters Bar came through. He lost a lot of muscle. X-rays were taken and it is mild hip dysplasia not cruciate although he could start exercise again we had to start off slow and short. He also got hydrothrapy but didn't like the pool so ended doing the water treadmill. He has built up the muscle nicely and can now exercise for much longer.

Slopes are a good way to walk him and build muscle and mostly low impact so some running around on grass if he can manage but make sure he also does a lot of walking as this exersices each rear muscle separately. Which is much better for them.

His is all done through his insurance but I do know the vet school where we went charge £37 and a few pence each session. We were recommended 10 sessions and it did the job.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Lynn when cas was first diagnosed with her hip dysplasia she went to water treadmill sessions, but as shes been lame for so long the insurance company have excluded her legs now. I def think walking is the way forward making sure she uses each leg at the moment shes very muscly on front and looks emaciated on her rear, trying to think where near where i live theres any gradual inclines for her to do her 5 mins thanks again
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Coles has lost most of his muscles in his back legs due to steroids to treat his allergy.

I now take him to hydro and his muscles are building up nicely. He also suffers with arthrtis and hydro helps with this too.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Saba had pretty significant muscle wastage on her right back leg when she blew her cruciate last year. Following surgery we did lots and lots of walking, and then trotting (with me attached as an anchor, to stop her running.) It caught up with the other leg in about 4 or 5 months. Now it is better than the 'good' leg...but that's another story!!!