Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
My Lab was never massively enthusiastic about it when he was raw fed. He would never reject anything but he never seemed that interested either.

Bo is funny with raw food. He won't eat organs of any variety. She will eat RMB's but takes forever eating them, or just sits there with it mouthing it as if to say "I'm supposed to eat this??". She does eventually eat them though!

Minced meat would definately never be rejected by my lot.
Aren't they funny! He loves RMBs! The others all eat anything I throw at them, but Yogi is a bit "special"
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Moobli if you have mince to use and want him to eat it try mixing just a little canned fish in.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Sometimes if they arent used to it the smell of cooking makes them want food....maybe its that? Apart from that they all have their own tastes and preferences I think. Some meats they like raw, some they maybe dont like so much. Perhaps offer him meat on the bone (chicken wing, ribs..) and when finished offer some mince until he gets the idea that the taste is not worse, its just not using the instinct of gnawing on a bone, ripping skin etc.
You could definitely be right regarding the smell, as my dogs definitely seem to like strong smelling meat or fish - Yogi won't even touch chicken wings.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You could definitely be right regarding the smell, as my dogs definitely seem to like strong smelling meat or fish - Yogi won't even touch chicken wings.
Have you tried lamb flank or beef ribs, he may prefer them (no need to say I dont think the situation calls for tough love then lol)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
When Zeke first got cancer i switched them both to raw - but i used to cook it all because of her! Well obv not the bones, but because she was refusing some of the raw bones etc i was worried she wasn't getting enough so switched her to wet trays, then as it happened Zeke's tummy became really sensitive (from cancer, chemo affecting his tummy, not the diet) so I switched him to wet trays too, and as a cheaper option i also put them on JWB grain free kibble mixed in with the wet trays.. which they're still on now.
Ahh thanks. I was feeding them Natures Harvest, but it was costing a fortune so decided I had to do something different

I may try cooking a wee bit for Yogi and then reducing the amount it is cooked.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Moobli if you have mince to use and want him to eat it try mixing just a little canned fish in.
I am not that fussed whether he does or not at the moment really, as the others happily scoff it and he can have something different ... for now at least.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Have you tried lamb flank or beef ribs, he may prefer them (no need to say I dont think the situation calls for tough love then lol)
lol

He loves lamb flank - and hopefully I should soon have a freezer full of lamb bits and bobs

Just need to find a supplier of RMBs now.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I would suggest cooking it, and then gradually reduce how much it is cooked for as well.

Jake started of eating any meat I gave him, but now he refused to eat raw pork... he will happily eat it cooked, but he won't go near it raw! Not sure what changed, but as he isn't fussy with anything else, I let him off with it
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Moon didn't know what to do with chicken wings at first do I flash fried them in a pan, just enough to seal the juices but not cook the bones. He soon got the idea
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2012, 10:03 AM
My gsd is so fussy, she usually will eat raw chicken with the.bones but often turns her nose up at mince meats but sometimes she will eat then. Even tripe she occasionally will eat but not that often. Her breakfast is usually 3/4 of a wainwright tray with a bit of soaked dry wainwights and she has been eating that quite well recently but that may change. I suppose it could be that she isn't that hungry in the evening as she is eating her breakfast well.

My lab will eat anything and everything, never known her to refuse anything. If she ever does I will be very worried as it would mean she was very Ill.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >