Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Doesn't like raw?

I have started to feed more of a raw diet to my dogs, and would like to switch completely. However, Yogi is surprisingly fussy about raw meat and seems to prefer it cooked - in fact, he often turns his nose up at the raw mince I get, but will happily chomp down on raw joints (hmmm - maybe he is just getting me well trained to give him the best cuts).

So, does anyone else have a dog who turns his nose up at raw?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Yes my Keisha is far to much a lay-dee to eat raw (pfffft!) she gives me a right funny look when I offer her it!

The only thing she will go near is raw chicken!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Can't really help you, all mine have switched to it fairly easily, Sadie won't eat a rabbit and Benjie fannys around with minces that are defrosted but other than that they get on with it.

Have you tried feeding it frozen? Louie is a bit funny with new meats if they are defrosted so I feed them frozen at first then slightly defrost it each time.. in fact he never ate Beef and Liver mince defrosted then the other day I realised I'd given him it defrosted and he'd eaten it..

Other than that, tough love is the other answer..
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:25 PM
No need for tough love, start off cooking the meats and just slowly decrease how much you cook them until you get to raw. If that really doesn't work then you could consider homecooked, but you may have to supplement more to make up for the stuff that's lost by cooking the meats.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Yes my Keisha is far to much a lay-dee to eat raw (pfffft!) she gives me a right funny look when I offer her it!

The only thing she will go near is raw chicken!
LOL

So do you feed her kibble, cooked or ???
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
My Lab was never massively enthusiastic about it when he was raw fed. He would never reject anything but he never seemed that interested either.

Bo is funny with raw food. He won't eat organs of any variety. She will eat RMB's but takes forever eating them, or just sits there with it mouthing it as if to say "I'm supposed to eat this??". She does eventually eat them though!

Minced meat would definately never be rejected by my lot.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Sometimes if they arent used to it the smell of cooking makes them want food....maybe its that? Apart from that they all have their own tastes and preferences I think. Some meats they like raw, some they maybe dont like so much. Perhaps offer him meat on the bone (chicken wing, ribs..) and when finished offer some mince until he gets the idea that the taste is not worse, its just not using the instinct of gnawing on a bone, ripping skin etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Can't really help you, all mine have switched to it fairly easily, Sadie won't eat a rabbit and Benjie fannys around with minces that are defrosted but other than that they get on with it.

Have you tried feeding it frozen? Louie is a bit funny with new meats if they are defrosted so I feed them frozen at first then slightly defrost it each time.. in fact he never ate Beef and Liver mince defrosted then the other day I realised I'd given him it defrosted and he'd eaten it..

Other than that, tough love is the other answer..
I have tried feeding him frozen chicken wings and defrosted and he won't touch either

Will try it with some of the other minced meat. He is quite happy to eat rabbit - fur, bones and all, so long as one of the other dogs has "opened" it up for him first
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
No need for tough love, start off cooking the meats and just slowly decrease how much you cook them until you get to raw. If that really doesn't work then you could consider homecooked, but you may have to supplement more to make up for the stuff that's lost by cooking the meats.
OK - thanks for that, will try it.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
LOL

So do you feed her kibble, cooked or ???
When Zeke first got cancer i switched them both to raw - but i used to cook it all because of her! Well obv not the bones, but because she was refusing some of the raw bones etc i was worried she wasn't getting enough so switched her to wet trays, then as it happened Zeke's tummy became really sensitive (from cancer, chemo affecting his tummy, not the diet) so I switched him to wet trays too, and as a cheaper option i also put them on JWB grain free kibble mixed in with the wet trays.. which they're still on now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >