View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I have just finished Predator by Patrica Cornwell, it was quite good but not one of her best.
I've not read Dean Koontz in a while but Watchers was a great book, might dig that out and re-read it.
I've just got an Alex Kava omnibus book from the library and I'm going to start that tonight, don't know much about it except it's some kind of detective series.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Pam, it seems we have asimilar taste. which Alex Kava are they?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Manchester's Finest: How the Munich Air Disaster Broke the Heart of a Great City.

"Manchester's Finest" tells of this terrible air crash, but it is also the story of the immediate aftermath of the disaster and the effect on the city of Manchester. It paints a vivid picture of Manchester at that time, from February 1958 to the end of the season in May when a patched-up team, carried along on a great wave of emotion, reached the FA Cup Final. It is about the fans, the people of Manchester and about the place of a football team in the heart of a city.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I had finished my Library books last week and the weather was so awful I decided not to venture out to the Library, and instead read a book which I had been given by a friend a couple of week's ago, she actually gave me two.

It is a true story of a girl who is sexually assaulted by her father from the age of six . It is not the sort of book I usually read, but I have to say it was very enlightening and well written and took you through all the heartache and trauma attached to a Child when something like this happens. It is set in the 50' 60's and it tells the effect this had on this child's decisions in later life. The Book is called "Don't Tell Mummy" by Toni McGuire and the follow up which I am just about to start is called "Wait Till Daddy gets Home" and if this is as well written as the first one I think it will be a very good read.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I've been reading Boudica - Dreaming The Eagle (Manda Scott) but have been struggling to concentrate lately so have had a break for a lighter Katie Fford book, which I can read in short bursts.

Snap!! Linda, I am on book two now and to be honest I can't get into it, they are great books but you have to really want to read it. I have all four books in the series and have had to take a break and I am reading "The Bad Mothers Handbook" by Kate Long, Very funny
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Just finished Star Wars: Allegiance, Like I mention earlier it is not one of the best novels but was still a good read, the last few chapters were brilliant. It was also good as it was set between episodes 4 & 5, there is not much known about this section in the history of Star Wars.

It also had a lot of background on characters who become main stars in the novels set after the final film
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I finished reading "A thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini last night, an amazing book about the lives of two very different woman in Afghanistan, but amazing read, really got into it from the first page and was a scary and interesting read about peoples lives in a country that is so backward when it comes to human rights.

Thoroughly recommend it.

I also read Atonement recently which was fantastic - havent seen the film so will look forward to hiring that on DVD if only to get my James McAvoy hit !!

I also love Alex Kava books, and anything silly and girly - particularly Jill Mansell - absolutely love her book "Good at Games" and would recommend that as a really light and funny read
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
I love reading...but to my shame I just don't have anytime to read any books for me at the moment....I read stuff with my son (currently mostly Jeremy Strong stuff) and I read stuff FOR the dogs...but no books for me...not enough hours in the day {sighs}

I have Atonement in the car from when we went on our hols last year...didn't get a chance to read it then either...I will try now though....
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I have read The Thousand Splendid Suns too, a superb book.

Has anyone read Cane River? An excellent book I read a couple of weeks ago.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I had finished my Library books last week and the weather was so awful I decided not to venture out to the Library, and instead read a book which I had been given by a friend a couple of week's ago, she actually gave me two.

It is a true story of a girl who is sexually assaulted by her father from the age of six . It is not the sort of book I usually read, but I have to say it was very enlightening and well written and took you through all the heartache and trauma attached to a Child when something like this happens. It is set in the 50' 60's and it tells the effect this had on this child's decisions in later life. The Book is called "Don't Tell Mummy" by Toni McGuire and the follow up which I am just about to start is called "Wait Till Daddy gets Home" and if this is as well written as the first one I think it will be a very good read.
I've just finished Wait Till Daddy gets Home - brilliant! I'm just starting the last in the series of 5 of Flowers in the Attic! the 1st 4 were great - so I'm sure this will be to!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >