Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 06:53 PM

Advice on barking during the night please

As most of you know,Ossie our rescued Staffie has settled in very well.But over the last two nights has started barking at night.It isn't just the odd bark when maybe he has heard something strange it is a constant little bark every ten seconds or so,he keeps this up for about ten minutes,then just as you go back of to sleep he starts again.He never barks at all during the day not even at the front door.I have never come across this problem before as my rotties never barked at night,they just used to let out a low growl if they thought anyone was near our property that shouldn't be there.This barking has obviously got to stop as it is waking the whole family up.To give you some idea about time he is on his own (he prefers to sleep in the hallway even though his bed is in the dining room) We go to bed about 10:30 pm and i am up at 5:00 am to take him out for his walk before i go to work.I am also worried about the neighbours getting the hump if they hear him although they keep themselves to themselves as we have only lived here for a couple of months and don't really know them.So any advice would be greatfully recieved.
Thanks Steve.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 07:01 PM
we had the same problem with ozzy our rescue staff , its a difficult problem to tackle we even got in trouble with the council
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry you're having problems, I hope it works out soon I don't really have any advice, just wondered if Ossie is used to being left alone. Do you leave him alone much during the day? If he spends all day with you it could be difficult for him to be alone all night maybe

Good luck.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 08:04 PM
He gets left for about three hours during the day,while my wife works.It will work out because i will make it work out.This little fella has gone through enough in his short life already,so i will do whatever has to be done.I am hoping that this barking is just a passing phase.it has been a bit windy overnight the last few days and that could explain it.I thought maybe he wanted to toilet the first night,but i took him out and nothing.So i'll just have to wait and see and take one night at a time.If he is the same tonight,i will report back tomorrow (with bleary eyes as im knackered)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry Steve, I've never encountered this problem before, so wouldn't want to give you a bum steer. I'll pass, and let someone more knowledgable in this behaviour take this one. Perhaps Minihaha or ShadowBoxer can help when they're next on. Good luck hon
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2006, 08:19 PM
I would imagine that he is hearing something that is disturbing him but not worrying him the extent of causing loud 'alarm' barking. It could be the wind, leaves rustling, nocturnal animals/birds, a mouse , cars in the distance, etc. If it is becoming a problem would it be possible for you to leave a radio playing on low volume to help muffle any external sounds that he may be reacting to?
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Try leaving a low watt bulb or nightlight and the radio on - it might be that he feels alone in the dark. If it gets too bad you can try an Aboistop antibark collar - but thats a last resort and I don't think he is that bad, yet.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks Sansorrella,Shadowboxer, Vicki,BrandieSnap and Ellas Mum.The hall light is on all night anyway,because of the kids,but i never even considered a radio,thats a great idea and one i shall definately try thank you.Sansorrella, you are right its nowhere near bad enough to be considering an anti bark collar yet.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 10:23 PM
just to say my boy barks rarely - but he definetly barks more when its windy, also his hearing is amazing, i remember once he heard the lions roaring in the zoo ( which is about 3 miles away) and the wind must have been making it easier to hear than normal - and he howled - first time he ever done it and scared the life out of me.

Wind can really affect them...

dani
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks dani,just to say we had a much better night last night.Only the one bark that woke us up,so a much better nights sleep was had by all.I didn't have to use a radio,but will definately keep that in mind if and when i need too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >