View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Strange how Hungary was slated for closing the border to stop refugees crossing their country and now their biggest critics are doing the same thing!

About 4 years ago I invited a friend living in the UK but holding a South Africa to come and spend a couple of weeks in Hungary. Because she's non EU, under the Shengen convention it took her 3 months and several visits to the Hungarian consulate in London and proof she had a return ticket before she was given a visa. I had to confirm I knew her and provide details of my address which had to be verified by a lawyer and I was also required to confirm I could support her financially if necessary.

What a joke, considering thousand of people are now freely travelling across Europe without let or hindrance!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
What a joke, considering thousands of people are now freely travelling across Europe without let or hindrance!
The real joke is that most of them have destroyed their passports, it's my understanding that once you have done that you can't be sent anywhere

Your friend would have done better to drive down to the Eurotunnel and chucked her passport out the window as she drove off in Calais, she could then have driven all the way to your house in Hungary with no checks.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The real joke is that most of them have destroyed their passports, it's my understanding that once you have done that you can't be sent anywhere

Your friend would have done better to drive down to the Eurotunnel and chucked her passport out the window as she drove off in Calais, she could then have driven all the way to your house in Hungary with no checks.
shouldn't laugh as it is absolute madness but that is so right
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post

They all seem to hang onto their mobile phones though, so they can phone home!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
They all seem to hang onto their mobile phones though, so they can phone home!
Like Griff says if it wasn't so serious it would be funny.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Cameron’s entire renegotiation strategy is a farce. He’s not addressing any of the big issues, which are exactly the same as they were at the time of John Major’s Maastricht sell-out two decades ago.

Will any new deal restore our national sovereignty and give us the power to pass our own laws and control immigration, without any interference from unelected bureaucrats in Brussels? No way.

That’s why Dave is making such a song and dance about his modest plan to restrict welfare benefits for millions of EU passport holders we can’t stop from moving to Britain. And there is now talk that this will also apply to British ex pats returning to the UK.

I am voting out, or leave, or whatever it is.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2016, 06:33 AM
I just wish the UK would get on with it and vote and then wholeheartedly back up the decsion..

If it leaves then be independant and stop running to brussels to solve every squabble with an employer or alleged human rights abuse.
If the vote is to stay in then engage with Europe be part of the continent that the UK is geographically part of and stop the drift toward the US.

This sitting on the fence buisness reminds me of the Italians!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
engage with Europe be part of the continent that the UK is geographically part of and stop the drift toward the US.
Yes, we need a quick decision, regarding the USA, as I was writing above, they were once a disunited collection of independant states, it was in my view the decision to use a common language(English) the decision to have an overall Police system (FBI) and not really being part of a bigger land mass (Notwihstanding Canada of course )

To have a United Sates of Europe you first need:-
a) A common language
b) A common Police force (Able to go anywhere)
c) A great big ocean between the Eastern Europe states and Russia
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2016, 06:14 PM
As a Young man I did not wont in.

As an old man I wont out.

I have not changed my mind at all and will not listen to the arguments from those who want to stay in... my mind to them is closed.

Sooner we are out the Better
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2