View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 05:59 PM

Dicky Tummy. (Diarrhoea - what to feed?)

Woody, not me!

He's had diarrhea for a few days now, doing his business indoors during the night etc (on the carpet as well, next to the newspaper I put down! ). Anyway this morning not only had he "messed" but peed as well. Poor lad, I've starved him this morning but would like to try and give him a little something tonight just to stop the constant evil eye I'm getting. (Anyone who's tried to starve a Lab will know what I mean!)

Anyone any ideas on what would be easy on his stomach. We've got brown rice but nothing to go with it, thought about getting some chappie but not sure what will be open this time on a Sunday. Any suggestions people?

No doubt we'll be off to the vets tomorrow, I'm not unduly worried he seems happy in his self. Just starving!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi RS poor Woody, I am a little concerned he peed as well ..is he ok otherwise ? Definately the vet in the morning

Food..no chappie..if you give anything at all you need white rice for the starch not brown rice . Also white fish( like frozen the birdseye boil in a bag cod) If no white fish /rice white rice with a little honey and water just a tablspoon at a time ...no milk or dairy food.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 06:48 PM
He's fine otherwise Mini, just looking miserable cos I haven't fed him.

Just had him out and he's peeing as normal, but the peeing over night did concern me too.

What's in Chappie thats not good then? Don't know why I thought it was good for dicky tums?

Will go and have a look for some white fish, we have some but it's all frozen! When you say a tbs at a time do you mean don't put it all in his bowl at once?
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 06:52 PM
aww poor woody when mine have had dicky tums ive given them porridge oats dry and they love it our vet recommended this and it works we even give it to the lambs when they are scouring and it soon stops hope hes feeling better real soon
Meg
Supervisor

13-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
He's fine otherwise Mini, just looking miserable cos I haven't fed him.

Just had him out and he's peeing as normal, but the peeing over night did concern me too.

What's in Chappie thats not good then? Don't know why I thought it was good for dicky tums?

Will go and have a look for some white fish, we have some but it's all frozen! When you say a tbs at a time do you mean don't put it all in his bowl at once?
..I don't know what is in the Chappie for the moment you are trying to get some starch into his tummy to 'bind' him with as few additives as possible ..Bluemerle lover suggestion of oats is working on the same principle as the rice , starch to bind .
You can soon thaw and cook the fish..microwave or steam it
Then mix the fish and rice give him one tablespoon or two at a time in his dish.. more a little later so it goes in slowly not all at once to overload his sensitive tummy.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Aww poor Woody

Oh Emma I've been there myself with Luna.. The white rice and white fish worked wonders on Luna... After starving her for 24 hours.. Now THAT is a test all on its own...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
aww poor woody when mine have had dicky tums ive given them porridge oats dry and they love it our vet recommended this and it works we even give it to the lambs when they are scouring and it soon stops hope hes feeling better real soon
Thanks for that, I'll try that tomorrow cos we're all out of fish now!

Originally Posted by Minihaha
..I don't know what is in the Chappie for the moment you are trying to get some starch into his tummy to 'bind' him with as few additives as possible ..Bluemerle lover suggestion of oats is working on the same principle as the rice , starch to bind .
Ok thanks. Not sure if this is the same but found some fish fingers, took all the breadcrumbs off (yum!) and have added that to some rice, water and honey. Hope that's ok, they were birdseye so 100% fish! He's had 2 tbs so far I'll give him 2 more in an hour.

Originally Posted by bellaluna
Aww poor Woody
Oh Emma I've been there myself with Luna.. The white rice and white fish worked wonders on Luna... After starving her for 24 hours.. Now THAT is a test all on its own...
You're not joking there, talk about hard work! Don't think I've ever felt so guilty in all my life. At least with other dogs when they're ill they don't want to eat. With Labs that doesn't seem to make the slightest bit of difference!

Anyway I'll see how he goes and if he's no better off to the vets tomorrow. I'm never away from that place these days. Note to self - but insurance with the next one!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Hope poor Woody feels better soon
Meg
Supervisor

13-11-2005, 08:31 PM
OMG the honey was instead of the fish if you had none ..as an emergency measure on a sunday night not as well as..what an odd mixture.. poor
Woody

Originally Posted by mini
If no white fish /rice, white rice with a little honey and water just a tablspoon at a time ...
never mind it will do no harm and will give him energy.. guess it is only the same as fish and rice plus honey in water...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Hope poor Woody feels better soon
Thanks, he's just glad to get something in his belly.

Originally Posted by Minihaha
OMG the honey was instead of the fish if you had none ..as an emergency measure on a sunday night not as well as..what an odd mixture.. poor Woody
never mind it will do no harm and will give him energy.. guess it is only the same as fish and rice plus honey in water...
Sh*t! Oh well, being a Lab he ate it anyway! With the cooking in this house he's used to it!

I'd like to leave you with a little pic I call "preparation"! Just so you know what I'm up against. Hell, if the Daily Mail is good for anything it's this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >