View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Poor chook, but it happens i'm afraid, usually by the time a hen shows signs of illness it's a very sick hen indeed, it's in their nature to hide any symptoms of illness as the sick ones get picked off by predators.

I would get a hold of the others and give them a good check for any runny eyes or beaks.
I would be a bit concerned about being able to feel the breast bone, it should be able to be felt, but not prominent.

Have you wormed recently, and what did you use ?, worm burden is the most common cause of weight loss, and can lead to death if severe enough.
Flubenvet is the best to use for both intestinal and gap worms.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 05:53 PM
hi yeah i wormed about a month ago on vermx pellets, which i mixed with the normal food, so unless she never had any im not sure.
ive checked the others today all fine and ive had 6 eggs today which is strange as latley its been about 3 - 4 as some of the hens are going through moult
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Hannaho View Post
hi yeah i wormed about a month ago on vermx pellets, which i mixed with the normal food, so unless she never had any im not sure.
ive checked the others today all fine and ive had 6 eggs today which is strange as latley its been about 3 - 4 as some of the hens are going through moult
Do be aware that VermX is really a preventative rather than a cure for worms and its not a very good one at that.

Flubenvet is the best poultry wormer and you dont need to discard the eggs when being treated either.

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~...ry_id=MA-BIRDS

As a side note i think one of my chooks is on her way out.She's about 3 years old now and for last couple days dont look her normal sprightly self.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:26 PM
thatnks steve and didnt know about that ill buy some flubenent now of the internet, i hope it wasnt worms that killed her it could of been prevented.

hope your hen is ok shes had a good life than most hens do, i had no idea i would get attached to a hen theyve got such funny personalities.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do be aware that VermX is really a preventative rather than a cure for worms and its not a very good one at that.

Flubenvet is the best poultry wormer and you dont need to discard the eggs when being treated either.

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~...ry_id=MA-BIRDS

As a side note i think one of my chooks is on her way out.She's about 3 years old now and for last couple days dont look her normal sprightly self.
Spot on Steve, I'm afraid Vermx is a waste of money, Flubenvet is the only one available to the backyard keeper that works.
Flubenvet also works out cheaper, a small tub cost me £12 last time I bought it, and only needs doing about once every 6 months.
Do get it on the internet though, if you get it from the vets it's generally more expensive.

Sorry to hear one of your hens is poorly too, I think one of mine might not see out the winter either, but she is old, about 7 years.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post

Sorry to hear one of your hens is poorly too, I think one of mine might not see out the winter either, but she is old, about 7 years.
She's a white Leghorn and in the first 12 months they're prolific egg layers (an egg every single day),but this has a negative effect in that it prematurely ages them. I think she will slip away in the next couple of days.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Aye, it does burn them out, mines a Sussex, she's been a pretty steady layer, even still producing the occasional egg. She's one of my first hen's, I'll be sad to lose her if she does peg it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2