View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cam5039
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2012, 03:20 AM

How to stop dog from biting my feet/ankles??

I recently started seeing someone who has a Shiba Inu. She is about 6 years old. She doesn't bark at me or jump, let me pet her and play with her, however when I am walking through the apartment she will come up behind me and bite my ankles and the tops of my feet. If she is trying to play she's doing a bad job of it, she bites hard enough to break the skin a little bit or at the least she leaves massive bruises! He says that she does this with everyone so I shouldn't worry but I have never encountered this before and I have spent years around various other types of dogs. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting sick of wearing sneakers at all times and still having my ankles bitten!
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2012, 08:33 AM
6 years, wowza...I would guess whenever she has been doing this, she hasn't been corrected, and she must think its fun!

I've heard to stop in your tracks, don't move, then she has nothing to 'chase' as such. If you stop, and she stops - either to look at you, or wonder whats going on. I would treat. If she keeps biting even when you've stopped, try distracting with a 'sit' etc....

Thats just my idea. But you will get loads more great advice off here

xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Get a new boyfriend.
It`s not your job to teach the dog manners.
He needs to put the dog on lead and reward for calm.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Totally unacceptable behaviour, which has to be your boyfriends fault as he is presumably the one who trained the dog.
Maybe you could suggest that while you are there the dog has an indoor line on (a lead with no loop) so that when the dog tries to nip you, your boyfriend can stop her and then give her a treat for stopping in her tracks. Only a suggestion.

Or get a new boyfriend or wear wellies
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Get a water pistol & when she does it, squirt water at her! Wont hurt her & might just shock her out of her bad habits!

You could ask your friend to keep her away when you sre around