View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Have you tried Packard Bell because they might be interested as it is their product that has gone wrong - it might be worth a try afterall you have tried everything else
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2005, 12:40 PM
As far as I know, PC World is part of the Dixons/Curry's mob, so there's not much here that surprises me. All they're interested in doing is getting your cash - they really don't care whether the product they have sold you works or not. They're also quite well-up on consumer rights and how to get round them! If it were easy to sue them, they'd be out of business in no time at all. The fact that Christmas is getting near could work in your favour, if managed properly!

Stack out the branch you got the thing from with your friends (who should be pretending to be looking for expensive Xmas pressies for their kids). Take the laptop in with you and MAKE A FUSS. A LOUD ONE! After a short time, the manager may turn up to try to keep you quiet - and, guess what - the only thing that will keep you quiet is a refund (or replacement, if you think that will do). The more he tries to evade the refund idea, the louder you get - and he doesn't want a dissatisfied customer making trouble in front of lots of "happy shoppers" (even if they are all "fakes", he doesn't know that!).

The main problem with a replacement from PC World is that, with their record, it could well have the same problem.

Non-violent Direct Action!

Snorri
(now a seasoned shop-embarrasser )
:smt077
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 02:17 PM
I agree with Snorri 100%. I've done this both at PC World and M&S and even an independent shoe shop in Bromley and I can guarantee it works. No shop likes to be embarrassed. Go for it. They'll do most anything to shut you up!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Me too, wouldn't let them away with it as I said previously.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2005, 03:08 PM
I once did it in House of Fraser, with a duff stereo speaker. Their manager came out and pointed out that it had been repaired once under guarantee already (which it had been, badly and ineffectively). So, in front of a shopful of customers, I yelled "Hah! So you're saying that your repairs aren't up to scratch, either!". They fixed it properly, FOC, inside an hour.

Pesterpower isn't just for kids! If you're3 all really good, I'll tell you the story about the Citroen BX14E with the f***** suspension, and how I got that fixed. It cost the manager one lost sale of a brand new car, but I got what I wanted, which was far more important :smt077

Snorri
(Have no mercy for shops, for they have none for you!)
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
As far as I know, PC World is part of the Dixons/Curry's mob, so there's not much here that surprises me. All they're interested in doing is getting your cash - they really don't care whether the product they have sold you works or not. They're also quite well-up on consumer rights and how to get round them! If it were easy to sue them, they'd be out of business in no time at all. The fact that Christmas is getting near could work in your favour, if managed properly!

Stack out the branch you got the thing from with your friends (who should be pretending to be looking for expensive Xmas pressies for their kids). Take the laptop in with you and MAKE A FUSS. A LOUD ONE! After a short time, the manager may turn up to try to keep you quiet - and, guess what - the only thing that will keep you quiet is a refund (or replacement, if you think that will do). The more he tries to evade the refund idea, the louder you get - and he doesn't want a dissatisfied customer making trouble in front of lots of "happy shoppers" (even if they are all "fakes", he doesn't know that!).

The main problem with a replacement from PC World is that, with their record, it could well have the same problem.

Non-violent Direct Action!

Snorri
(now a seasoned shop-embarrasser )
:smt077

Oh Snorri - you are evil
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2005, 01:26 PM
ok guys we have Done all you have Said, Credit card Company now Say there is Nothing they can Do as they can only do somthing If we Bought through a mail order Company..... THIS IS driving us crazy.....Can see a Cup of Coffe being Knocked Over the Computer bye meg????????
Julie
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2005, 02:17 PM
LOL@Snorri, would hate to see you and my OH in full flow at PC World!!!! Think you should send Snorri and my OH to take your laptop back, bet you'd get a new one then
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Would love to Where do you live? we live in Sheffield... We have Been to Pc world Shouted Tried also the being Nice as well That,s Before We sent Letters nothing Done the Trading Standards Done the credit card And all in all Wast of B.....DY time...we are Just Stuck with the B....DY THING...well i will have To think what we can do Next.....As trading Standards Said Its up to us To Give Concret Proof....lol This is a Darn Computer Not a House.
:smt084 :smt010
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I'm far too far away from Sheffield! I'm surprised that shouting, in front of a shopful of customers, didn't work - the manager must have a neck of solid brass! And, if Trading Standards couldn't do owt, it looks like BBC "Watchdog" might be the next way forward - or a direct approach to Packard Bell, as suggested peviously. If PB won't do the right thing, find an on-line computer forum (like DW, except for computer geeks) and sound off about both PCWorld AND Packard Bell on there**. Go for as much bad publicity as you can, you just have to be sure you can prove every allegation you make (not that difficult, by the looks of things).

**(always assuming that you can get on-line at all!)

BTW, Foxy, if you think my previous post was evil, wait till you see what happens when I get really riled up! The old quote about "Hell hath no fury" pales into insignificance! I didn't pick my username just because it's one of the dogs' names (see signature)!

Snorri
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2