Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I have had this disscusion on here before and dont intend having another. I dont have a problem with reigonal stereotypes as they are far away from racisim, such as, the scots are tight, irish are dim, english are up their own backsides as long as its done in a lighthearted manner and does not go to far. Bullying someone for being a scot in england, english in wales etc etc is out of order.

Luckily most the scots, irish, welsh I have met take jokes in good humor and give as good as they get.
That's true, as a Scouser. if you got upset over every scouse joke, you would not leave your home!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That's true, as a Scouser. if you got upset over every scouse joke, you would not leave your home!!
Im a manc, and its expected when I meet a scouser.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Im a manc, and its expected when I meet a scouser.
and I have heard them all
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
and I have heard them all
Most of them just replace the word manc with scouser and vice versa
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I think the language barrier is a big cause of peoples moaning, I know it is for me. As someone who has spent to much time in hospitals of late that my main gripe the last time I was there he even had an unoffical interpreter. I just think there should be some language test for people working with the public like that, more so in the health sector as a miss-heard/pronuced word/s could cause major problems. But thats not just foreign docs and nurses as there is many people who a english cant speak the queens.
And there in lies the problem, there are many Scottish, Welsh, Irish and even many English people that struggle to speak English clearly, so perhaps we need a language test for everyone who deals with the public in a job that can be quite dangerous? Or would that be discrimination?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
And there in lies the problem, there are many Scottish, Welsh, Irish and even many English people that struggle to speak English clearly, so perhaps we need a language test for everyone who deals with the public in a job that can be quite dangerous? Or would that be discrimination?
Some would class it as discrimination but to me it makes sense, as if you're dealing with the public the public should be able to understand you. (you as a general you and not you as you)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I think the BNP should be ran off the planet...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Some would class it as discrimination but to me it makes sense, as if you're dealing with the public the public should be able to understand you. (you as a general you and not you as you)
So you'd basically have to test everyone for their language skills before they could work with the public? I'd love to know how you'd police that one and what reasons you could give for not letting someone qualify! "Sorry Sir you can't be a Doctor cos you're a Cockney!"

What about people like myself who are hard of hearing etc? Should those with mild disabilities be tested too?

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think the BNP should be ran off the planet...
Don't hold back there Shona.....
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
So you'd basically have to test everyone for their language skills before they could work with the public? I'd love to know how you'd police that one and what reasons you could give for not letting someone qualify! "Sorry Sir you can't be a Doctor cos you're a Cockney!"

What about people like myself who are hard of hearing etc? Should those with mild disabilities be tested too?
Would be difficult to police granted, but surely when training a simple written/spoken language test would do know harm? As most would pass it and the ones who struggled would get the help..

Depends on how severe the hearing loss is I would have thought? Where as the language can cause problems(speaking from expeirience)

I just think in something like the health service you have to me near perfect as possible and if there are not things perfect they are worked on.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Would be difficult to police granted, but surely when training a simple written/spoken language test would do know harm? As most would pass it and the ones who struggled would get the help..
What sort of help? What would you class as acceptable in terms of language skills?

Depends on how severe the hearing loss is I would have thought? Where as the language can cause problems(speaking from expeirience)
50% hearing loss.....

I just think in something like the health service you have to me near perfect as possible and if there are not things perfect they are worked on.
Why?
I can see this ending up as a seperate thread!
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >