View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Apologies to OP for being off topic but, I was given Joyce Stranger's own copy of Glen Johnson's, Tracking Dog - theory and methods when we were competing in Trials. It is heavily annotated with her own training notes, tracking scores, and comments. It may be a bit scruffy, but I love it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You have resurrected long-forgotten memories Moobli!! I know what to ask for in my christmas stocking now!
I think most of her books are out of print now, but you can easily obtain them for next to no money on ebay and some of the secondhand book internet sites Happy hunting!

I still enjoy reading Joyce's books now (in my 40s) almost as much as I did as a dog-mad child/teenager.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
Apologies to OP for being off topic but, I was given Joyce Stranger's own copy of Glen Johnson's, Tracking Dog - theory and methods when we were competing in Trials. It is heavily annotated with her own training notes, tracking scores, and comments. It may be a bit scruffy, but I love it!
Oh wow that is precious! I too have the book but without any notes. I bet it is fascinating to see the notes she made.

I wonder if we need to start a Joyce Stranger thread so as not to take this one off topic?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Could admin move the relevant posts to a new topic on Joyce, her dogs and her books?

Did you compete with Joyce, Carole?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2016, 01:33 PM
No, I'm sorry to say I didn't know her. I was still showing CKCS when she was doing Obed & Trials. She lived in Stockport (where I am from), and left some of her books with her trainer when she moved to Anglesey. I didn't do any trials until approx. 2005. Her Obedience days feature in, Two's Company, (1977), which is about showing and training Puma, and Janus the Golden. I enjoyed this because I know most of the people she is talking about.
She seems to have been trialling a GS bitch called Chita when she was using the Tracking Dog book. A note on the flyleaf says, 'Last competition track aged 11 1/2 before retiring. 104/110'.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2