Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Upset Tummy

Can I ask the forum's advice on the use of Children's Kaolin for upset stomach problems in a 9 year old border collie please. Sky tends to produce solid faeces for several weeks then I have 3 or 4 days of mucousy, soft, putty coloured poo. Each time I visit my vet they prescribe Pro-kolin at nearly £19 a tube. Back in the 70s I worked for a veterinary practice and was told for tummy upsets to use Kaolin and Morphine which is now unavailable in the same format. The nearest I've come to it is the Children's version. Do any of you buy Pro-kolin on line and keep it for use, as and when. I'm really confused to know which way to go. Thank you.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Tbh only when I'm getting a puppy so the one in the cupboard which has never been used must be 4 years old now. I just give them something like scrambled eggs to firm them up but it's very rare for mine to ever get the squits.
Pets at home sell pro kolin online only for 12.99
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2016, 06:50 PM
30 ml for £11.36 at Tesco Direct with free delivery

http://www.tesco.com/direct/protexin...?source=others

I've only used pro kolin once a few years ago with my old boy. It didn't do much good with him so I changed food which worked better
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2016, 07:49 PM
I have Pro-Kolin in my animal medicine cupboard and it was definitely less than £19.

30ml at Viovet online is also £11.99

If your dog is having a regular upset stomach, have you looked into what might be triggering it, and attempting to eliminate the problem?
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2016, 03:44 AM
Hello! I have the same situation before my vet give me some helpful article about that my vet told me that my dog is having a sensitive stomach in other words upset stomach and he gave me this meals for sensitive stomach and it's really work for my baby. Hope it can help you too.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Thank you so much Trouble for that info regarding PAH selling Pro-kolin on line, I will get a couple of tubes ordered.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Your reply is even better Chris, thank you for that. Sky has been on the same food since she came to me last November and I've just taken delivery of another 24KG of Arden Grange, Chicken and Rice so I'm loathe to change her diet.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Hi Moobli, it's not that regular that I'm looking for triggers, but it's distressing for her as she's messed indoors overnight for a couple of nights and she looks in the morning like she's expecting to be punished, which is possibly what happened in her previous home.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2016, 12:32 PM
That is a really interesting article Ms M, thank you for that. I have kept her on the same food she left rescue with, which is a great hypoallergenic food so I'm loathe to change her from this.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi Sue how old is your dog and what are you feeding, it sounds like a food intolerance to me . I used to have the same problem with my current dog Chloe and eventually sorted it out with diet.

We used to use medicinal Kaolin in the kennels years ago for some cases of diarrhea depending on the cause. Kaolin should be viewed as 'a sticking plaster not a cure', better to try to find the cause of the gastric problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >