Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Omg what will they come up with next

I didn't realise it did everything

Sourdough starters are not hard once you know how Florence...

RYE Flour and some Kefir or Whey from the top of yoghurt with enough water for a soapy mixture - leave for three days then add equal parts water and rye flour everyday (and mix). Should be ready to use in about a week
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
This thread is getting a tad too DOMESTICATED for me!

OOOOPS!!

Edit to say I just noticed it is in a section called Home Garden & Food!

Well I never! Didn't know we had one of those. So obviously it will be DOMESTICATED or at least homely!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Tang you're in the wrong spot.. this is for Domestic Goddesses in here... (and Azz too)

I just made a yummy Cheddar and Broccoli soup for lunch. wish I had had some fresh bread to go with it!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Oh don't! You know I get the midnight starvations and it is just midnight here now

I want that soup!

*gawd I'm not coming in here again - I'm starving now
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:29 AM
We have a bread maker... except like... nobody has used it in 25096857 years. I had to sift through fifteen thousand loads of storage to even confirm if we still had it.

It was a gift from someone some time ago who we did something for or something. Nobody can remember.

I am pure garbage at cooking, as is the rest of my family... so we do not cook a lot of food at home so honestly, the bread maker was just purely useless.

I truly wish whoever gave it to us at whatever time they did so had kept it and given it to someone else. We have not really even used it.

Actually... I'm not sure it was used even once. Taken from the box, examined and then stuffed into storage probably.

Managed to find it and capture a few piccies of it. It's AGES OLD... made by Breadman.

It's not a really good one, but if you lived closer DD... I'd simply give it to you. We don't use it and I personally know I have never used it - and nobody else probably has either. I can't see anybody in my house having an interest in making bread.

Looking again at these photos... it probably has not even been used once. Shame on us
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:41 AM
That's NEVER been used Myra! Put it on eBay!

I'm not really a useless cook. I am a DISINTERESTED cook. And when it comes to cooking for ONE I cannot be bothered to divide down what's needed and still cook the same as I did for a family of four or five and then end up LIVING ON IT till I am sick of it!

It would probably actually be cheaper for me to order in or eat out all the time than to keep spending 70 odd euro minimum in shops and regularly chucking out stuff or giving it away.

But then I hate grocery shopping too and often decide it can wait another day, and then another day, as long as I have a can of soup and stuff like Weetabix or some frozen crumpets to toast. Eat like a student a lot of the time - what we used to call 'surviving on Tizer and Cornflakes' and saving the money for 'going out' lol! And I am oft known to have (horror of horrors) cup a soup! So LAZY. Does cut down on dishwashing tho!

I'm not that bad. I do buy lots of salmon because it is easy to cook in micro in a few minutes and just have it with green beans or broccoli. And I do buy that expensive ready bagged shredded cabbage and carrot or mixed leaf because it is still more economical than buying all the ingredients to make it myself and throwing them out because they've gone slimey a couple of days later!

I'm not eating much at all at the mo - I never can when exciting plans are in the offing (all my mates tell me they are the opposite and just eat endlessly when worried or stressed). I survive on kawfee and ciggies when I'm like that and the weight drops off as it is doing right now. But it will pile back on even quicker once I'm settled again!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks Myra for the lovely kind thought, it definitely hasn't been used, you should get that on ebay - OR make some bread tomorrow!!

I LOVE to cook, cook everyday except Friday's when its takeout night as its the end of the week tonight I am making carbonara, only with smoked salmon and asparagus rather than bacon and peas.. CANNOT wait, hoping it will be yummy!!!!

Cooking and Gardening and my doglets!! and my life is complete - OH and Mr M too
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:30 AM
I feel like such an idiot, Tang. I had to look at that photo a few times before I confirmed nobody probably used it. We are so incompetent with food. If I come in the yard from a walk or something and I see the windows open etc. I automatically know that someone burned something else.

We call burned up food "extra crispy". So if mother prepares chicken or something... I always ask "Is it extra crispy??" before going to see if it's edible. If I walk in and the smoke is around and whatnot... I'll just say to whoever is closest "Looks like someone cooked something extra crispy again." It's funny really. Though it's not... wasted food isn't funny.

The fire alarm goes off sometimes and one time a pan caught fire and the smoke was everywhere and the neighbors saw us outside coughing with smoke billowing out of the front door and they asked us if they needed to call the fire dept.

How horrible! So we eat lots of pre-packaged foods that are easy to cook and lots of junk food from fast food places etc. I'm working on learning how to cook, and I can do a few things now... but it's a work in progress.

You like Weetabix? Oh, gosh! We have cereal like that here and gosh I can't stand that stuff. I call it "shredded cardboard". Salmon is always awesome, we have it sometimes... put it on the George Foreman grill for a bit and yum! If you have not tried it mesquite - DO IT!!

I'll look to give away the bread thingy now that I've gotten it out. It's too much trouble to deal with eBay for one piece of useless crap.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:45 AM
It has been said about my cooking you have two choices ...
Burned if she remembers to light the cooker.
Gassed if she forgets.

Threw out my wok a week or so ago - really couldn't be bothered to soak it until it could be cleaned so it went out with the burned offering still in it. I've had many patches of burned grass in the past where I've rushed out with a smoking pan to put it outside for safety! And the suggestion that I write my cookbook 100 ways with Carbon.

One of my exes made a moveable parts DONKEY out of some sausages I'd burned by nailing them together and left it on the serving hatch for me to see when I woke from the nap I took after I put them in the oven! Even I had to laugh at that!

Oh and must tell you about the pizza incident. Burned so black that my youngest son wanted to take it to school on show and tell day because it 'LOOKED JUST LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE MOON' yeah right - take that into school and show me up rotten! What with the other son having taken a DEAD MOTH in a matchbox in on his show and tell day - Geez I seriously thought they might come and take my kids away at that rate!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Tang - LOL! That sounds a lot like us! Burning food left and right and rushing outside with smoking pans (handles clutched by oven mitts) to fling the burned contents down into the forest and set the pan down on the concrete.

You do what you have to do. And for me... cooking? I don't HAVE to do it! Thankfully... because - WOW! If I had to cook all my meals, like if there weren't other ways to get food... I'd probably be VERY SKINNY.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >