Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Messy drinkers.

I'm not sure how but I've ended up with two dogs who are very messy drinkers. Oddly enough they both submerged their nostrils completely when they drink so come up gasping, open their mouths and the fast mouth full of water goes all over the floor. (Anybody else's dogs do this?)

My problem is that it makes the kitchen floor very wet and slippy. I've tried a tray underneath it but they tend to stub their feet against it as they approach the bowl and slosh the water up the cupboards. I've tried a cloth and towel and although that helps its starting to take the polish off the floor where it's slightly dap all the time. I really want a big rubber backed toweling beer mat but haven't been able to find one.

So what do you use under your dogs water bowls?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Intravenous drip is what you need
Sorry shouldn't laugh,potentially dangerous with the two little one's
Mine drinks loads,her beard gets soaked and she just drips it everywhere she goes.If I catch her in time I give her a face a dry with the towel Can't think of anything to suggest,sorry
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Don't have the problem but I'd use one of those quite thin rubber backed cord carpet door mats. The matting would soak up the water and it wouldn't shift about. You can get quite big ones. I've got a big one outside my apartment door and it's the width of the corridor. Not so thick you will trip over it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEDIUM-RUBBE...r+back+doormat

Another alternative (and what I use for Bella to eat her raw chicken on) is quite thick 'bath mats' as they are very absorbent. I've got more than one and they are easily washed and dried. some do have rubbery backing too to stop floor getting wet. Like these (but I use black!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bath-Mat-Whi...+back+bath+mat
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:02 PM
We put our bowl on a towel to catch the water, Betty likes to dig her water up with out the towel it's like a huge puddle in the corner of the room. Easy to wash after she has soaked it too.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Luna is a really messy drinker, like yours she dunks her whole nose in and sloshes about, then comes up and just opens her mouth and dribbles everywhere! So much so that Rayne has taken to standing next to her when she drinks, and then licking all around her muzzle once she's finished to clean her up

I just have a large tray under mine but again like yours they often end up standing on it and slopping it everywhere. I'm get to find a 100% successful method of keeping the water in the bowl.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Ah here's exactly what I meant for the first suggestion. These are easy to clean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Arme...+rubber+backed
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Intravenous drip is what you need
Sorry shouldn't laugh,potentially dangerous with the two little one's
Mine drinks loads,her beard gets soaked and she just drips it everywhere she goes.If I catch her in time I give her a face a dry with the towel Can't think of anything to suggest,sorry
That exactly what they need...and a little drip trolley to drag it around after them. How on earth I ended up with two freeky drinkers I do not know. Most dogs keep their nostrils above water!

Unfortunately the toweling their face is a no go for us. I can't keep a tea towel hanging in my kitchen, of oven gloves...or a towel...I don't know why but either the girls or the dogs take them down, moved them somewhere or just throw them on the floor.....it's very odd.

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Don't have the problem but I'd use one of those quite thin rubber backed cord carpet door mats. The matting would soak up the water and it wouldn't shift about. You can get quite big ones. I've got a big one outside my apartment door and it's the width of the corridor. Not so thick you will trip over it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEDIUM-RUBBE...r+back+doormat

Another alternative (and what I use for Bella to eat her raw chicken on) is quite thick 'bath mats' as they are very absorbent. I've got more than one and they are easily washed and dried. some do have rubbery backing too to stop floor getting wet. Like these (but I use black!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bath-Mat-Whi...+back+bath+mat
Good ideas!
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We put our bowl on a towel to catch the water, Betty likes to dig her water up with out the towel it's like a huge puddle in the corner of the room. Easy to wash after she has soaked it too.
See we tried that but that's what dulled the polish on the floor and as we rent I thought we should find a different solution.

Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Luna is a really messy drinker, like yours she dunks her whole nose in and sloshes about, then comes up and just opens her mouth and dribbles everywhere! So much so that Rayne has taken to standing next to her when she drinks, and then licking all around her muzzle once she's finished to clean her up

I just have a large tray under mine but again like yours they often end up standing on it and slopping it everywhere. I'm get to find a 100% successful method of keeping the water in the bowl.
Now I need one tidy dog like that!

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Ah here's exactly what I meant for the first suggestion. These are easy to clean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Arme...+rubber+backed
That's an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that? Stupid really a it was want I was describing and we have a back door mat just like that! Thank you, problem solved!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I'm not sure how but I've ended up with two dogs who are very messy drinkers. Oddly enough they both submerged their nostrils completely when they drink so come up gasping, open their mouths and the fast mouth full of water goes all over the floor. (Anybody else's dogs do this?)

My problem is that it makes the kitchen floor very wet and slippy. I've tried a tray underneath it but they tend to stub their feet against it as they approach the bowl and slosh the water up the cupboards. I've tried a cloth and towel and although that helps its starting to take the polish off the floor where it's slightly dap all the time. I really want a big rubber backed toweling beer mat but haven't been able to find one.

So what do you use under your dogs water bowls?
Agggg dogs with beards are a nightmare, they drip water everywhere .
I had rough patterned stone tiles fitted in the kitchen, they are nonslip and can quickly be wiped over. I also wipe Choe's beard with kitchen towel after she drinks if I see her drinking
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Agggg dogs with beards are a nightmare, they drip water everywhere .
I had rough patterned stone tiles fitted in the kitchen, they are nonslip and can quickly be wiped over. I also wipe Choe's beard with kitchen towel after she drinks if I see her drinking
They sound great! I grew up with a bearded dog. She was very gentle and calm but when we were sitting at the dinner table she used to have a drink, go under the table and wipe her beard on our bare legs! We always seemed to have bare legs, getting wet dogs beards wiped on them, sticking to the Leatherette dining room chair cushions or getting scorched by the leatherette car interiors. It was the 70's lol.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Drinking water here is a nightmare and to be honest I keep Marco's bowl outside when the weather is dry as he regularly puts his two front paws in and splashes it all about, he's done this since before we got him......it's the only time you'd think he was a water dog
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »