Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2013, 11:35 AM

How do you store your eggs?

A few days ago I read an article about the pros and cons of storing eggs in the refrigerator or at room temperature.

Refrigerator or at room temperature

As I have always kept eggs in the refrigerator I read the article but did not take too much notice of it until yesterday.

Last Thursday my neighbour got me a tray of eggs from the egg farm at the back of a few houses up the road. My refrigerator was rather overloaded so I put a dozen of them in a plastic camping egg container [to keep the mice away] and put it in my back room .

But for the last few days, everytime I went through that room from the kitchen through to my bedroom I could smell something not quite right. Checked Pereg's freezer which is kept in that room, that was fine. And could not find where the smell was coming from.

Yesterday I went to get something also stored in that room and saw [WARNING - IF YOU ARE EATING, DO NOT READ FURTHER] not just tiny seed like things round the egg container but also wriggling maggots.

Container promptly taken into the kitchen and dumped in the sink with cold water on full over it, while I went to deal with the maggots around where the egg container had been.

Every one of those dozen eggs, which had been bought a week earlier and were that days lay, were not only bad but stinking stenching very-much off - green, black and full of wriggling maggots. Even Pereg ran out or the kitchen while I tried to flush the egg contents and maggots down the sink drain, and I had difficulty in not throwing up. I have even had to bin the plastic egg container this morning as I cannot get the stench out of it, even after 24 hours soaking in bleach.

The rest of the tray, which had been stored in the refrigerator, are absolutely fine.

So where do you keep your eggs?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-09-2013, 11:40 AM
In a nice wooden closet for eggs in the kitchen have done for a long time and no problems. In fact I don't think in all my 36 years of marriage I have stored eggs in the fridge.
Maybe there was something wrong with them when you bought them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Back in the UK in a ceramic 'egg chicken' thingie because 'cold eggs' are not so good for some uses. But back then, more were used more often.

Since moving to a hot country - in the FRIDGE. And that's where they keep them in the shops and supermarkets here too. Let's face it, it gets so hot indoors that if kept out of the fridge they could actually be slowing 'cooking' on the side!

Sounds as if your eggs were not all that fresh to start with? Don't you have dates on your eggs? We do here same as in UK.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Just read this ...

And to add a note of caution, Salmonella's doubling time in an ideal medium (which an warm egg is pretty close to) is about 20 minutes. If an egg is warm for two hours, that's plenty of time for the bacterium to reach high. and possibly dangerous, levels.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
...[snip]...
Don't you have dates on your eggs? We do here same as in UK.
Yes, but the egg farm is contracted to Tnuva and only people on the Moshav are permitted to buy directly from the farm. Tnuva stamp and date all eggs before distributing them to supermarkets etc.

And the eggs my neighbour bought last Thursday were from those collected that morning, ie extremely fresh. I saw her walk past to get them and she came in with my tray about ten minutes later.

As I said, the other eggs from that tray of 30 which were in the refrigerator, are perfect. I just did not have enough room in my refrigerator for the final dozen, and this is the first time in 18 years on the Moshav and buying eggs from one of the egg farms that I have ever had this happen.

I thought the back room was cool enough but obviously it was not. What I cannot understand though was that there was not even a minute crack in any of the eggs, so where did the maggots come from?

On second thoughts, I think I would rather not know!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Eeeeewwww for whatever reason Malka.
Maybe there were some maggots on an egg or in the egg box they came in. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Could it perhaps have been a fly having laid it's eggs on the eggs maybe? The other day I went to open the wheelie bin to chuck a bag of rubbish in it, and all along the top were a load of wriggling maggots I took all the bin bags out of the wheelie, none had split or anything, the bin was clean, but these maggots were just lying along the lip of the bin, so I suspected they were fly maggots that had laid them there

Although I buy from supermarket where they are just on the shelf, I always put my eggs in the fridge when I get home I have never, ever left eggs out in the open.

If you go to fry an egg which has been left out of the fridge, it's never a nice tight egg, it always spread over the pan and I hate that, I like my eggs nice and tight around the yoke thanks.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2013, 12:25 PM
We keep ours on the side in the kitchen rather than in the fridge. In theory they don't need to be in the fridge although our kitchen isn't the warmest.

Here's our 'eggskelter' - we get half a dozen every day from our own chucks.

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 12:53 PM
I read an article about keeping eggs recently too. I have always kept them in the fridge but they take up lots of space and sometimes if they end up at the back where it's really cold they crack.

Were the maggots inside the eggs then?

Our neighbour had a huge infestation of maggots in the food/vegetation recycling bin during the warm weather. It's fortnightly collections here, although the bin wasn't that full.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-09-2013, 12:56 PM
In the fridge but I tend to keep everything in the fridge. I keep my bread in there too.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >