Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Agility with a Greyhound?

Any chance he could be any good at agility or obedience? I'm trying not to be breedist, but I mean from a point of view how he's built...Would he be able to do the weaves as he's very long? He doesn't show much enthusiasm for jumping and seems unable to crouch, so don't know about the tunnel...
He can do ramps (tried him out on a skate park) but is there an agility club out there that would let him just do those?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Any chance he could be any good at agility or obedience? I'm trying not to be breedist, but I mean from a point of view how he's built...Would he be able to do the weaves as he's very long? He doesn't show much enthusiasm for jumping and seems unable to crouch, so don't know about the tunnel...
He can do ramps (tried him out on a skate park) but is there an agility club out there that would let him just do those?
Hi Mel, tried Bella on a trial agililty course and she did well , in terms of obedience she has now got one thing to complete on KCGC silver and can do many of the gold criteria , or maybe be a PAT dog , I think Axel would be perfect for that, if you find a club that lets them go to agility just for fun would be interested to know
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
There are a lot of "long" dogs (as opposed to longdogs) of various breeds or none in agility competing successfully.

Deep chested breeds often have an issue with crawling etc so you may need to review this, and there are of course JUMPING only courses which do not involve this.

As for Obedience, well it depends on what level.

there is the new sport of Rally UK which the APDT are promoting, this is different from Obedience Competitions and thus suitable for any breed.

The KCGCDS consists only of 3 tests (excluding puppy) so then what?

Obedience competitions are not a bar to your breed however Greys can often have issues with sits and ALL short coated dogs have to be BETTER than those with hair as any deviation is more observable!
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:01 PM
There was an agility display by a greyhound training group at GGG event the other year. I don't think they are supposed to crouch through the tunnel if equipment is the right size. I guess you can only give it a try and see if Axel will learn to do the jumps & would enjoy that type of activity.

Jennifer at Never say Never greyhounds in US but does a lot with her greys including agility & obedience. There's some agility video's in her blog impressive stuff!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
There are a lot of "long" dogs (as opposed to longdogs) of various breeds or none in agility competing successfully.

Deep chested breeds often have an issue with crawling etc so you may need to review this, and there are of course JUMPING only courses which do not involve this.

A jumping course usually means no contact equipment - A frame, dogwalk or seasaw - it has jumps, weaves and the tunnel

As for Obedience, well it depends on what level.

there is the new sport of Rally UK which the APDT are promoting, this is different from Obedience Competitions and thus suitable for any breed.

The KCGCDS consists only of 3 tests (excluding puppy) so then what?

Obedience competitions are not a bar to your breed however Greys can often have issues with sits and ALL short coated dogs have to be BETTER than those with hair as any deviation is more observable!

I love watching the greys and lurchers at agility shows they just fly and look so sweet
Just a quick look I saw this vid - a dog in training but you can see the bending for the weaves is no problem - and none of them seem to mind the tunnel

Rally O does look fun, I do want to try it
whiley
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Where I go there is a whippet which does it. He is good, although a bit smaller than a greyhound he seems to be able to do all the objects quite easily
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Seen many greys/luchers types doing agilty and being very good at it!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Bet he would be better than my staffy x at the weaves, he just walks through them all... as in into them, directly head on. He seems to think they should go round him... I'd imagine like most dogs he would enjoy a new challenge and some one on one time with owner.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone, a lot of food for thought! Now just gotta find an agility club I can get to! that's going to be the hardest part :S
Thanks for the links, lovelyto see those Greyhounds enjoying agility, I don't know how good Axel will be, he's certainly not an 'active' Greyhound like some of them, but he could surprise me!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 04:39 PM
http://www.agilitynet.co.uk/clutch/clubs.htm

Lots here,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >