Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Camera advice

What camera's would you recommend for getting good action pics of your pooches?

There are some features I like, like the multi shot where it takes many pics within seconds and a good zoom, the smaller and lighter the better but other than that . . .

I've gone boggle eyed trying to find one online so thought - who better to ask than your good selves,

Thanks in advance
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Depends how much you want to spend.....
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Maximum of about £300 ish?? but as little as possibly really
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Have a little look on here....and see what you like.....
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I got my first SLR a few years ago for 200 pounds which was a Nikon D40 with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens, brand new from amazon...
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2011, 01:34 PM
DSLR's have crept up in price the last few years.
A second hand Canon EOS, preferably 450d or better. I can't comment on Nikon, as I'm a Canon boy.

Or maybe a bridging camera would be enough.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I've got the Sony a200 coz it's just as good as the 300 or so they said, but cheaper, it's simple (I like simple ) not particularly light, but then slr's aren't are they, but I love the multi shot it has, that's why I hated the digital camera so much because by the time you want to take another pic, everything has changed and the camera isn't ready I think mine was about £350 can't remember?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
well unlike a lot of people here I dont have a fancy DSLR

Most pics on here were taken with my phone which hasnt got a great camera on it so please dont compare with those

I have a Fujifilm compact (sorry can't remember model!! If you are interested say so and I can get back to you though!!)

I bought it years ago now and I still think its a great little compact! Only 6.3 megapixels but it has the SuperCCD and boy what a difference that makes! I have seen photos taken with cameras that are newer and have loads of megapixels etc yet still dont compare....

It has the fast shooting and continuous shooting modes, auto everything, portrait, landscape, sport, natural light, night, etc etc modes and you can also add custom settings or use manually at the time instead of pre-set modes or Auto. Can also film videos.

Cant remember the optical vs digital zoom. I would like to get one with a better optical zoom but I dont feel I can justify it for my needs really. It takes an Xd card but Fuji have started to use SD cards now.. I dont even know/use hardly any the settings it comes with.

If I spend say, an hour charging it then it will stay charged for about a month as it has a long lasting battery and thats with me taking it out everyday, replaying photos, videos etc to people....so the longlife battery is an added plus!!

I have to admit tassles clear pics do make me jealous sometimes.....I really should have either; a better camera on my phone, or take my camera out us more lol

PS; re battery life. Thats if I charge for an hour after it has gone flat and it is not near fully charged yet that it will still last that long. I lost the cables for it in a house move and three years later (although not taking photos with it) I could still switch it on and play back....got new charger and reader etc for xmas
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a Nikon D60 DSLR- the kit lens (i think 18-55mm?) and just bought a new 55-200mm lens. Even with a good camera/lens though you need to know how to use it properly and have right lighting/settings to get the best out of it (which admittedly i still don't always!) but being a dslr they're that much quicker anyway it is easier, imo. Just some can be very confusing- with f numbers and all the functions & settings everything! Love them though.
Also just a tip- don't focus too much on megapixels unless you want to blow the photos up large to put on a wall or something- that's basically all high megapixels allow you to do differently, as far as i know. Quality in 'normal size' is usually down to ISO speed (the higher it is, the more noise there is in the pic, but obviously the faster the speed) and other settings
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys,

I think a bridging one will fit the bill, I have a small digital one at the moment and it takes brill pics but the sports mode isn't too good and I get a lot blurry movement pics and the continuos shot isn't so continuos !! It takes ages between each shot so I miss a lot of the action shots I'd like with the dogs.

That's my xmas list sorted then My OH will be so pleased cos he's really c**p at buying prezzies!!!

ThankWoo All