View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 10:05 AM

Who is responsible for producing most of the unwanted dogs?

Found an interesting link here which suggests that it is BYB that are responsible for 67% of all dogs bred. Puppy Farmers are responsible for just 20% and sadly just 12% from breeders who health test etc.
Now I appreciate this is based on US figures but do you believe that these %'s are similar here in the UK?
Becky
p.s. don't click on the Tails bit then Bruno's story because it'll break your heart.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I personally think that whoever breeds, for whatever reason, is responsible.
Sorry,it may sound harsh but to knowingly breed, no matter how responsibly, makes you partly responsible for any dog on the street.
I also think it is the fault of anyone who buys a dog or owns a dog. We ALL create the supply and demand situation surely?
We are all responsible. We should all be aware. We should all do our best to educate people.

In all honesty, it is the byb that have a ready market for their dogs, it is the byb who's dogs go into pet homes and to be honest given the number of dogs they collectively produce, they probably have a pretty successful homing rate....

I didn't like that site at all...very emotive. I clicked on bruno's link and found myself getting angry, not becuase of whoever bred him, or bought him, but because he was not given dignity and space at the end of his days...he had a video camera in the room and his death is now on the internet. If you wouldn't do it to a human you shouldn't do it to a dog IMO. Dreadful.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Ailsa, we can't all be responsible as most reputable breeders dogs don't end up 'Unwanted' which is the title of the thread *restrains herself from rolling eyes* :smt019

We're not talking about who's responsible for the general amount of dogs, but the unwanted ones.

With the BRS just being published, in my Breed the unwanteds are definitely because of Puppy Farmers, well 2 in particular. This shows as it's always their dogs going through the Rescue !!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
...................In all honesty, it is the byb that have a ready market for their dogs, it is the byb who's dogs go into pet homes and to be honest given the number of dogs they collectively produce, they probably have a pretty successful homing rate....................
& a lot of those puppies end up in rescue having been sold to unsuitable owners. The number of registered GSDs that make up part of the 400 + that go through our rescue in a year is maybe less than 40 & of them less than 10 are from health checked parents & in all cases the breeders of these dogs are willing to take back & keep all of them. The other breeders that breed from untested(pets usually)dogs refuse to help or simply put the phone down when contacted.

There are 46,000 + Labradors registered with the KC yearly & the rescue people reckon the same unregistered & most of the rescues are from breeders who don't health test & don't register. The numbers of labs that go through the breed rescue is horrendous
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I still think the whole dog owning population has a responsibility .I am not condoning byb BUT they do it because there is a demand... we are all part of that demand. I don't think anyone can sit back and say that it has nothing to do with them. Complacency is dangerous.
Yes, byb undoubtedly contribute the most to the 'unwanted' dog market...(but then of course they do as they breed more than the 'responsible' ones)..but come on,even 'responsible' breeders must take some responsibility here...breeding to keep one pup when you may have a litter of 10?!!!!! That means 9 are not wanted from the outset and have to be found homes. Even the best breeder in the world messes up sometimes and allows a dog to go to a 'wrong' home...or they can't predict the future and a relationship splitting up etc etc etc....

Yes...byb contribute the most to the unwanted dogs scenario BUT IMO everyone that owns a dog contributes as we are all part of the supply and demand chain.I KNOW people have seen me out with my dogs and got one for themselves in the end...without consulting me about where to go, they have gone to bybs. I have to take some responsibility for that as they have been attracted to a specific breed because they have seen MY dog...we are ALL part of the chain like it or not.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I still think the whole dog owning population has a responsibility .I am not condoning byb BUT they do it because there is a demand... we are all part of that demand. I don't think anyone can sit back and say that it has nothing to do with them. Complacency is dangerous.
Yes, byb undoubtedly contribute the most to the 'unwanted' dog market...(but then of course they do as they breed more than the 'responsible' ones)..but come on,even 'responsible' breeders must take some responsibility here...breeding to keep one pup when you may have a litter of 10?!!!!! That means 9 are not wanted from the outset and have to be found homes. Even the best breeder in the world messes up sometimes and allows a dog to go to a 'wrong' home...or they can't predict the future and a relationship splitting up etc etc etc....

Yes...byb contribute the most to the unwanted dogs scenario BUT IMO everyone that owns a dog contributes as we are all part of the supply and demand chain.I KNOW people have seen me out with my dogs and got one for themselves in the end...without consulting me about where to go, they have gone to bybs. I have to take some responsibility for that as they have been attracted to a specific breed because they have seen MY dog...we are ALL part of the chain like it or not.
Yes agreed *Shock, horror *

People have done the same about my breed and gone and bought one without asking where to go, but I won't hold myself responsible for their stupidness, they have to be responsible for themselves !!!

Any decent breeder who ends up with an unwanted dog back usually can place it into a good new home. You rarely hear of dogs going through rescues that were from reputable breeders.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:49 AM
There are still dogs from reputable breeders who end up in rescue or going through the breed societys rescue! I suppose if you look at it proportionally...byb produce more so will have more in rescue...I don't know how the figures would then look...plus any dog going back to a breeder is 'unwanted' for a time so has to be taken into account.

Nope I don't want to be responisble for other peoples stupidity but by taking my relatively well behaved dogs out and being seen to have fun with them...it does make me have some responsibility if not to all dogs then at least to my chosen breed? Dog owners on mass have responsibility for all dog IMO. AS I said we are all part of the supply and demand thing...
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 12:15 PM
If I decide to jump off a bridge, I don't expect anyone to follow, however if they do, I am not responsible for their actions and stupidity, and similarly I won't accept responsibility for others actions, because I want to own dogs and walk them !!

People should take responsibility for their own actions
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
If I decide to jump off a bridge, I don't expect anyone to follow, however if they do, I am not responsible for their actions and stupidity, and similarly I won't accept responsibility for others actions, because I want to own dogs and walk them !!

People should take responsibility for their own actions
Absolutely agree!

The fact of the matter is that we CANNOT be responsible for dogs with which we have no connection. The only thing we can do is try to educate. It's a slow process but if approached in the right way it can be done.

IMO the people who produce the most unwanted dogs are the people who 'aren't breeders because they're only having the one litter'. That excuse makes me twitch! Imagine the thousands of puppies born every year because people think that way.

Debs

Debs
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Be interesting to know what the proportional figures would be though woudn't it? Not that we'd ever be able to get them! The perecntage of byb dogs ending up returning to the breeder or being placed in rescue...verus the percentage of 'purebred' dogs from'responsible' breeders being returned or rehomed through breed society rescues/word of mouth or rescue centres....would make an interesting read but the figures would be impossible to compile.
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »